Fairytale of New York

I will definitely listen to the original, because it's the version on the Christmas compilation LP I listen to while I wrap my presents every year. I completely agree with Shane McGowan's reasoning for using it, and it does fit the characters and the time period.

But I also think people should be allowed to listen to publicly funded radio without hearing slurs and language that are offensive to them.

I listen to a lot of 90's hip hop, but I understand why people don't want to hear the N word 30 times Tupac's All Eyez on me, or hear the uncensored version of WAP while eating their cereal.
Repeating the same line "people want to hear homophobic slurs" over and over (5 times so far) doesn't make your point any stronger.

Radio 1 using the edited version doesn't bother me in the slightest because I don't listen to it. The Pogues don't seem to mind so why this is such a big cause of debate is a little baffling.

I do think that once we begin to edit or ban songs, tv programmes, etc - we are in danger of treading down a risky path. Watching "Offended" on Sky Arts the other night, my favourite author tried to censor a page in one of his novels. The character he was trying to portray completely disappeared.

Do you think that books should be edited? Do you think that I'm defending my right to read homophobic slurs?

I do think that once we begin to edit or ban songs, tv programmes, etc - we are in danger of treading down a risky path.

Again, this is complete and utter nonsense, and a completely disingenous argument. Edited songs are played every single day of the week on the radio to remove offensive language and have been for 50 years.

The reason I keep repeating that line by the way, is because it's important people remember what it is they're fighting for. You're fighting to hear a homophobic slur, it's got fuck all to do with artistic integrity or keeping the song intact, otherwise you'd be campaigning to hear all swearwords and offensive language that's edited out of music on BBC radio every day.

Last edited:
Repeating the same line "people want to hear homophobic slurs" over and over (5 times so far) doesn't make your point any stronger.

Radio 1 using the edited version doesn't bother me in the slightest because I don't listen to it. The Pogues don't seem to mind so why this is such a big cause of debate is a little baffling.

I do think that once we begin to edit or ban songs, tv programmes, etc - we are in danger of treading down a risky path. Watching "Offended" on Sky Arts the other night, my favourite author tried to censor a page in one of his novels. The character he was trying to portray completely disappeared.

Do you think that books should be edited? Do you think that I'm defending my right to read homophobic slurs?

It isn’t being banned though, you can still choose to consume it, much like any book you want to. The difference is this is on a public radio station consumed by predominately the younger generation.

Did I see a post on twatter from the official pogues telling them to fuck off?

I like the song.
I also like faggots, with an onion gravy.

I think they were telling Laurence Fox to fuck off, which is something I think we can all get behind.
Ah! Ok, thanks mate.
I really should keep abreast of these things.

I also forgot to mention using fresh sage in the onion gravy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.