Fairytale of New York

What's sound about him? I've no doubt a lot of people like him because there's no shortage of arseholes knocking about.

I don’t know him intimately. Just seen a couple of interviews and he seems a nice normal lad. A lot of what he is saying resonates with people. He must have been mad to think marrying Billy Piper was a wise move however.

Again, this is complete and utter nonsense, and a completely disingenous argument. Edited songs are played every single day of the week on the radio to remove offensive language and have been for 50 years.

The reason I keep repeating that line by the way, is because it's important people remember what it is they're fighting for. You're fighting to hear a homophobic slur, it's got fuck all to do with artistic integrity or keeping the song intact, otherwise you'd be campaigning to hear all swearwords and offensive language that's edited out of music on BBC radio every day.
I'm fighting for fuck all. I'm sat trying to concentrate on my work but, it being Friday morning and close to breakfast time, I'm repeatedly drawn to bluemoon.

If you read all of my post, I have stated that I don't listen to Radio 1. I rarely listen to any radio station. Talksport irritates the shit out of me, Radio 1 is crap, the local radio station is just as bad. I might have a bit of smooth on from time to time and when I'm on my own in the car, I have been known to switch to Classic FM.

There seems to be two debates going on here and you're intent on making them the same thing by repeatedly accusing people of fighting for the right to hear homophobic slurs.

I've talked quite a bit this week about offence, art and free speech after watching the Irvine Welsh programme and then a Jordan Peterson documentary afterwards. The point I was trying to make was that it isn't inconceivable for the original version of the song to be banned. It woudln't be the end of my world but I can see that Radio 1 using the edited version could lead to pressure for all radio station to use it, for spotify and amazon music to only use the edited version. This scenario wouldn't be the end of days as far as Christmas songs go but I can see where it might lead. For example, a poster on here has likened the black and white minstrel show to the Pogues song which to me is ludicrous. When I made a point about characters in books being non-PC, it was rightly pointed out to me that there's a difference between a book that people might read and a song that is played every day and I agree - but where is the line? If a song is played once a month, once a week, only on a certain day of the year?

The point I was trying to make was that it isn't inconceivable for the original version of the song to be banned I can see that Radio 1 using the edited version could lead to pressure for all radio station to use it, for spotify and amazon music to only use the edited version. This scenario wouldn't be the end of days as far as Christmas songs go but I can see where it might lead.

Yes, I know that's your argument but it is absolute nonsense.

I'm sorry, but it is. The BBC radio censors thousands of songs on its playlists, and has done for 50 years. It has a huge list of songs which are banned. Never has any streaming platform or publisher felt the need to remove the original.

Your "thin end of the wedge" approach is simply not a valid argument, we've got thousands, probably tens of thousands of examples that prove it false.

This is absolute nonsense.

Sorry but it is. BBC radio censors thousands of songs on its playlists, and has done for 50 years. Never has any streaming platform or publisher felt the need to remove the original.
Fair enough. I'm not disagreeing with your point there. We are debating and I concede to this post.

As I said, I've watched a couple of thought provoking programmes this week so this story has caught my attention. The only reason I replied to you was that you were repeatedly accusing people of fighting for their right to hear homophobic slurs. That is absolute nonsense as well. If I never heard the song again, I probably wouldn't notice.

I'm not bothered either way about Radio 1's reasoning for the decision. I joined in firstly to challenge you on your post and secondly to discuss the wider issue of censorship in general. A novel from the 90's and a Christmas song from the 80's are miles apart in what they are but they both include language that is homophobic and in the novel's case, racist and sexist. I am merely questioning whether it would be beyond the realms of possibility that say for example, Waterstones could, in the future, censor books because of the language used in them.

Fair enough. I'm not disagreeing with your point there. We are debating and I concede to this post.

As I said, I've watched a couple of thought provoking programmes this week so this story has caught my attention. The only reason I replied to you was that you were repeatedly accusing people of fighting for their right to hear homophobic slurs. That is absolute nonsense as well. If I never heard the song again, I probably wouldn't notice.

I'm not bothered either way about Radio 1's reasoning for the decision. I joined in firstly to challenge you on your post and secondly to discuss the wider issue of censorship in general. A novel from the 90's and a Christmas song from the 80's are miles apart in what they are but they both include language that is homophobic and in the novel's case, racist and sexist. I am merely questioning whether it would be beyond the realms of possibility that say for example, Waterstones could, in the future, censor books because of the language used in them.

I think Waterstones and co already do censor books by not carrying them if they or their customers find them offensive. You can't walk into your local book shop and pick up Mein Kampf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.