FAO those who just know the rags will be champs come May

There's no getting away from the fact that our run in is a great deal more difficult than United's. The derby game aside United haven't got too many tricky games left, maybe the trip to Sunderland although that's the last game of the season so may not matter.

City, on the other hand, have got trips to Newcastle, Norwich, Arsenal and Stoke as well as United and Chelsea to come to us. Given our away form recently you can easily find an arguement for dropped points in any of those games.

Just look at recent league results against the aforementioned teams (Norwich aside as we haven't played them too often over ther past few seasons).

Newcastle (A) W D W W L L L

Arsenal (A) D D L L L L D L L

Stoke (A) D D L L

United (H) D L L W L W L W W

Chelsea (H) W W L L L L W L L

So, looking at that we've not beaten either Stoke or Arsenal at their grounds since we returned to the Premier League, that's 9 in a row at the Emirates/Highbury! We've also not beaten United at home in any of the past 3 seasons. Our recent record at Newcastle, and at home to Chelsea is better viewing, but we've still lost 2/3rds of out home games against Chelsea. Even if you only take the last 3 years into consideration (as we've improved dramatically in that time) it's still not pretty:-

Newcastle (A) W D N/A

Arsenal (A) D D L

Stoke (A) D D L

United (H) D L L

Chelsea (H) W W L

So, in the 14 games we've played over the last 3 seasons (only 2 games with Newcastle as they were in the Championship for one of the last 3 seasons) we've WON 3 DRAWN 6 LOST 5. Now we're talking about winning all 5 games in one season, coming off the back of 2 wins in our last 8 away games this season? That's simply improbable. Yes, it's possible we win all of thsioe tricky games, and the less tricky one's too, but any logical, sensible person will see it's far more likely we drop some points on the way, probably in more than 1 game. This isn't pessisism, or defeatism, it's realism. Realistically we can't expect to win our last 10 games. We'll drop points, and the odds are the number of points we drop will be greater than the number of points United drop. A painful, but realistic, expectation.

Re: FAO who just KNOW that the rags will be champs come May?

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Not the way we are playing at the moment
You know what i would love to be wrong and if i am every blue can abuse me to fuck and i will let you kick me in the crotch i just dont think we have what we need for the final 10 games

We've won 7 of 9, we've had a couple of slip ups but it's hardly relegation form.

I have us down to drop points in 5 of our next 10 matches, but it is a pessimistic view of things, and we are very much capable of winning each of those games I have us dropping points in.<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:27 pm --<br /><br />
Matty said:
So, in the 14 games we've played over the last 3 seasons (only 2 games with Newcastle as they were in the Championship for one of the last 3 seasons) we've WON 3 DRAWN 6 LOST 5.

What were our performances against Spurs (home and away), Rags (away), Liverpool (home) over the past three years.

We are a very different side to the one we were even last season.

moomba said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
You know what i would love to be wrong and if i am every blue can abuse me to fuck and i will let you kick me in the crotch i just dont think we have what we need for the final 10 games

We've won 7 of 9, we've had a couple of slip ups but it's hardly relegation form.

I have us down to drop points in 5 of our next 10 matches, but it is a pessimistic view of things, and we are very much capable of winning each of those games I have us dropping points in.

"We've won 7 of 9, we've had a couple of slip ups but it's hardly relegation form."

Absolutely agree but can you also quote the stats for our last 7 away games? We need to win 4 of the last 5 away games at least and that is a MASSIVE change in form and fortune.Do you think it will happen?

Nelly's Left Foot said:
moomba said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

I have us down to drop points in 5 of our next 10 matches, but it is a pessimistic view of things, and we are very much capable of winning each of those games I have us dropping points in.

"We've won 7 of 9, we've had a couple of slip ups but it's hardly relegation form."

Absolutely agree but can you also quote the stats for our last 7 away games? We need to win 4 of the last 5 away games at least and that is a MASSIVE change in form and fortune.Do you think it will happen?
Last 7 league away games we have won 2 lost 4 and drawn 1
We have lost to Chelsea, Sunderland, Everton and Swansea and drawn with West Brom
We will not be winning the league

BoyBlue_1985 said:
We have lost to Chelsea, Sunderland, Everton and Swansea and drawn with West Brom

Lucky we're at home on Wednesday night, and lucky that losing a few away matches doesn't automatically rule you out from winning your next one.

We may not win the league, but anyone who writes us off when we could conceivably be one point behind on Wednesday night (with us still to play the leaders at home) needs to man up.

-- Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm --

Nelly's Left Foot said:

My predictions have us dropping points in 3 of the last 5 away games.

Do I think it will happen, no. Do I think it can happen, absolutely.

We were unbeaten in our first 7 away games of the season, including games against our two toughest rivals.

moomba said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Lucky we're at home on Wednesday night, and lucky that losing a few away matches doesn't automatically rule you out from winning your next one.

We may not win the league, but anyone who writes us off when we could conceivably be one point behind on Wednesday night (with us still to play the leaders at home) needs to man up.

-- Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm --

Nelly's Left Foot said:

My predictions have us dropping points in 3 of the last 5 away games.

Do I think it will happen, no. Do I think it can happen, absolutely.

We were unbeaten in our first 7 away games of the season, including games against our two toughest rivals.

Yes but we need to split start of the season and after December 26th in to 2 different sections. The 1st when we were unplayable and destroying all before us but for 2 or 3 games and after the 26th of December when Mancini decided we would play football like we did last season and everyones confidence went through the floor

Maybe a little perspective is called for.
Not that long ago,we were embroiled in relegation dogfights at this time of year.
And not always from the top flight,but from the second tier to the third.
Now everyone is having a head wobble because we may not win the Premiership.
Ffs - let's just enjoy the fact that we are still in with a fair shout of the title,because the rest of the league would give their right arms to be in our position.

moomba said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

-- Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:27 pm --

Matty said:
So, in the 14 games we've played over the last 3 seasons (only 2 games with Newcastle as they were in the Championship for one of the last 3 seasons) we've WON 3 DRAWN 6 LOST 5.

What were our performances against Spurs (home and away), Rags (away), Liverpool (home) over the past three years.

We are a very different side to the one we were even last season.

Over the last 3 seasons? Well, to keep it in line with the results I mentioned above, that means the 2010-11, 2009-10 and 2008-09 seasons (i.e. not including this seasons games):-

Spurs (H) W L L

Spurs (A) D L L

United (A) L L L

Liverpool (H) W D L

I can see what you're trying to imply, that we've won all of these games this season despite not having a stellar record in past seasons. My counter argument would be that it's unrealistic to expect a complete turn around in all our historically poor fixtures. Yes we picked up 12 points from the above 4 fixtures, compared to 7 last season, 1 the season before and 0 the season before that. However given the downturn in our away form, in terms of points gained, goals scored and overall performance levels we'd have to put in some exceptional performances to win at Arsenal, Newcastle, Stoke and Norwich, as well as maintain our home record.

People on here have said before, but we were all hoping I think (and the bookies were expecting) that United wouldn't pick up so many away points at Arsenal, Chelsea and Spuds.

But they did. I'm trying to stay positive but it's looking a bit tough at the moment. We're certainly going to have to beat Chelsea; I also think we need to get a win at Arsenal which won't be easy.

Realistically we're now hoping United slip up which isn't a great situation compared to earlier in the season.

Of course I remember sitting there in the bad old days and finishing 2nd wouldn't be a disaster. The frustration is that man for man, I think we're ahead of United and Spuds (as demonstrated by our demolitions at their places) but we've not been able to win other games we really should be if we want the title.

I'm keeping the faith though - fingers crossed :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.