Favourite European teams

To be fair not many people outside of Germany know about Uwe/Bert. They never got the exposure in the press over here and back in the day it was not easy to get any kind of information about the PL either, as there was no internet and the possibilities to watch the PL/Championship on TV were pretty much non existent.

You had to rely on the printed media for some coverage if there was any at all.

I remember sitting over my map of the UK trying to figure out where the hell this stupid city called "Tottenham" was. :)

Those were the days without a quick "check google".

To be fair not many people outside of Germany know about Uwe/Bert. They never got the exposure in the press over here and back in the day it was not easy to get any kind of information about the PL either, as there was no internet and the possibilities to watch the PL/Championship on TV were pretty much non existent.

You had to rely on the printed media for some coverage if there was any at all.

I remember sitting over my map of the UK trying to figure out where the hell this stupid city called "Tottenham" was. :)

Those were the days without a quick "check google".
I was the same when I first got interested in German football, where on earth is Wattenscheid ?

Hansa Rostock - I went to see them play Bayern at the old Olympic stadium in 91 whilst travelling around Europe. First season that West and East German teams played in a combined league. Went in the away end in my Brother City shirt and the Hansa fans were very friendly - I even got filmed by the club historian! During the match Bayern scored an early goal but Rostock scored twice in the second half to win the game - a massive upset and the Hansa fans went wild.

Honved Budapest - mainly because of the Half Man Half Biscuit song - I was a Teenage Honved Fan. Was working in Budapest a few years ago and went to see Honved - the stadium was pretty run down as it was on the verge of being replaced. Everyone was friendly and you could buy beer and drink in the stands - had quite a few despite the sub-zero temperatures - the game finished 4-3 with Honved behind twice and winning with a goal from their left back in the closing minutes.

The best City fanzine, IMHO, of course, though I’m sure @Mad Eyed Screamer will agree with me, Blueprint, ran a series on European cities' second - and sometimes third - teams, so I always keep an eye out for 1860 München (we’ve since been to see them), St Pauli, Atletico Madrid, Español, Internazionale, Lazio, etc.

But my favourite foreign team is Hertha Berlin. On my first visit to that great city, I was staying on the same street as the club's bar - Hertha was in 2. Bundesliga at the time and rather small-time in its outlook - and I went in there for a drink one evening.

I couldn’t speak any German at the time, but I seem to remember having an interesting night.

The best City fanzine, IMHO, of course, though I’m sure @Mad Eyed Screamer will agree with me, Blueprint, ran a series on European cities' second - and sometimes third - teams, so I always keep an eye out for 1860 München (we’ve since been to see them), St Pauli, Atletico Madrid, Español, Internazionale, Lazio, etc.

But my favourite foreign team is Hertha Berlin. On my first visit to that great city, I was staying on the same street as the club's bar - Hertha was in 2. Bundesliga at the time and rather small-time in its outlook - and I went in there for a drink one evening.

I couldn’t speak any German at the time, but I seem to remember having an interesting night.
Perhaps the Man Utd fanzine needs to run the same feature now ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.