Fernandinho signs one year contract extension (Pg 91)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He literally turned 36 yesterday and we are already saying he is going to be 37. LMAO

36/37 same same, end of the day he's an old man in football terms.

I think we need to move on personally, as I'd rather he go out on good terms than sort of limp through next season. Just my view mate.

I think we need to move on personally, as I'd rather he go out on good terms than sort of limp through next season. Just my view mate.
Why do you think he will limp through next season?

He has barely dropped off any this season from the previous one to give the impression he will be hitting a wall over the summer.

We shipped Barry out for being slow and past it and then he proceeded to play 4 more seasons of over 32 PL games a season for Everton and then 25 more for WBA and then two further seasons in the Championship.

You don't think Fernie would be capable of playing against Newcastle, Villa, Soton, either side of a big game, if we were to ease him down from the top-level games?

He still has a lot to give imo

its not the same.

i was technical director for another sport and was a high level coach.

a few years back I had a good chat with head of performance for the ufc and he touched on something I’d long thought about.

He said 37 is the age. Of course there will always be exceptions, but the bodies ability to recover at speed slows at 37.

Fernandinho looks an outlier, but you never know. But for 12 months, he’s worth extending if there’s even a chance we get another year of this.

Give him a player coach role for me.

its not the same.

a few years back I had a good chat with head of performance for the ufc and he touched on something I’d long thought about.

He said 37 is the age. Of course there will always be exceptions, but the bodies ability to recover at speed slows at 37.

Fernandinho looks an outlier, but you never know. But for 12 months, he’s worth extending if there’s even a chance we get another year of this.

Very true. 36 was my age. It was the first time training that I wasn't able to complete a high level circuit session without stopping for a breather. It's the first time I felt my age.

Why do you think he will limp through next season?

He has barely dropped off any this season from the previous one to give the impression he will be hitting a wall over the summer.

We shipped Barry out for being slow and past it and then he proceeded to play 4 more seasons of over 32 PL games a season for Everton and then 25 more for WBA and then two further seasons in the Championship.

You don't think Fernie would be capable of playing against Newcastle, Villa, Soton, either side of a big game, if we were to ease him down from the top-level games?

He still has a lot to give imo
I don't think Fernandinho is likely to decline physically. However, there does come a point where some players will just lose it suddenly. For example both Touré and Silva both had rather sharp physical declines going from their penultimate season into their final seasons. Compare Aguero's physical wellbeing from 18/19 to Aguero since January 2020.

It's possible that that's on the club's mind. You might argue that he's still got what it takes to play the odd game here and there, but it's possible the club would be mindful that we'd be only one injury away from him being forced to play far more and then be overplayed like Silva was last season.

I'm beginning to think with each passing week that it's more likely than not that he'll stay, but I do think it's worthwhile seeing the whole arguments either way.

its not the same.

Lol theres not some 'magic number' where people start to decline, it's totally diffrerent for every individual athlete and body shape.

Some players can go till 38/40, others drop off rapidly after 30.

I think he is leaving, I said a few days ago but it will be like Vinnie. Little noise until its announced, the day after the CL final or something.

Nobody can doubt his performances etc however another 12mths contract is a big financial commitment from us when we need to lower the wage bill and he may want to experience something new and have a full season doing so. I could definitely see him try Serie A or La Liga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.