Fernando Torres [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
fulhamroad22 said:
CityPar said:
Is there not a further complication for Chelsea though guys? Are Terry and Lampard not contractually entitled to pay parity with the top earners at the club? This would mean that if they signed Torres and made him the best paid player then Chelsea would also need to find the extra money to keep the other two sweet. I think this deal will get too rich for them tbh and IMO he'll stay put for one more season at Liverpool before jumping ship.

Very possible that he'll stay at Liverpool and jump ship next year, but just to let you know, the pay parity clause disappeared with Lampard and Terry's last contract renewal in exchange for a pay rise and extension.

Ah that makes a difference IMO. In which case the Russkie could chuck everything at the deal to get closure now. Ultimately, money will only go so far for top players like Torres. Chelseas' ace up their sleeve if you like is CL and the fact they've been winning silverware for a while now. City don't have that carrot to dangle....yet ;o).

CityPar said:
ono said:
Fair points. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not as excited by the prospect as i would have been a year ago, but that's mainly down to injuries, and the fact that i quite like both Adebayor and Tevez. But fair play if you land him. If he's fit, him and Drogba are the best two strikers in the world imo.

Is there not a further complication for Chelsea though guys? Are Terry and Lampard not contractually entitled to pay parity with the top earners at the club? This would mean that if they signed Torres and made him the best paid player then Chelsea would also need to find the extra money to keep the other two sweet. I think this deal will get too rich for them tbh and IMO he'll stay put for one more season at Liverpool before jumping ship.

I find it hard to believe that chelsea will be willing to change the way they play, to suit Nando also Anelka has just signed a new contract, and they need to replace Ballack and cole this summer, so to spend £50m on a single player that as ponted out would be on a damn good wage and Terry & Lampard will have to be on the same wage and RA himself has been banging on about the wage bill. so cant see this one happening to Chelski.

As I said before the Terry/Lampard pay parity clause was removed at their last renewals, so there would be no problem with pay, and I doubt Torres would command a wage above Terry and Lampard anyway. He just doesn't come across as a player solely obsessed with money. Also, bare in mind that two of our highest payed players- Ballack and Shevchenko have left the club in the past twelve months and have freed up some of our wage budget.

Basically, we can afford him. There's nothing financial that stop us buying him, unless City bid £100 Million or something ridiculous like that.

Update.

As you know or might have heard, Abramovich is personally getting involved in the Torres saga. This is in response to Sheik Monsours involvement as I reported earlier. The big guns are involved, Monsour has prepared a offer which will make him the highest earning footballer for the next five years. The offer is a five year contract worth £250,000 pw, there are also guarantees that Torres can renegotiate his contract at 10% above anybody should they receive better wages, anywhere in world football.<br /><br />-- Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:55 pm --<br /><br />Update.

As you know or might have heard, Abramovich is personally getting involved in the Torres saga. This is in response to Sheik Monsours involvement as I reported earlier. The big guns are involved, Monsour has prepared a offer which will make him the highest earning footballer for the next five years. The offer is a five year contract worth £250,000 pw, there are also guarantees that Torres can renegotiate his contract at 10% above anybody should they receive better wages, anywhere in world football.

He said: "It's too early to talk. Sincerely I believe we are going to be fourth but qualifying for the Champions League is not that important for me.

"What is really important is that the club makes a big effort and brings great players that are above the quality of the squad.

"We need four or five players of the highest level to compete, better than the ones we have, that make all of us grit our teeth and make us fight for our place.

"Without strengthening, what's the point of finishing fourth and fight once again next season just to be in the top four."

So Chelsea's carrot of CL football might not be the be all end all scenario!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.