Fernando Torres [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the--dud said:
fulhamroad22 said:
I don't get why City are favourites with the bookmakers when the Telegraph, The Times, Sky Sports News, Daily Mail and the Daily Mirror are all saying Chelsea have just put a large bid in (and the suggestion is that City are interested but Torres won't go there until they get get CL football)?

Must have been a lot of City fans putting money on it, that's all I can say.

The other thing I was going to say is that, Chelsea can't match the spending power that City have for most players, but I think with Torres you'll see something different. Abramovich is absolutely determined to get his man, and I reckon he'll match anything City lay on the table as a one off.

I was going to post a stupid/arrogant/funny reply but I remembered you've made some good posts on here so I'll give you a measured proper reply instead :)

I understand what you're saying but has Abramovich not been blowing his trumpet for ages now about how Chelsea will be financially self-sufficient and how much he loves the new UEFA rules about debt etc?
I was under the impression Chelsea wouldn't get money funnelled from him any more but rather having to spend what they earn? Surely they couldn't afford to take £35m-£70m from their own operating profits to fund Torres?
Abramovich buying Torres would mean to "re-open" that holding company that he gives money to and then Chelsea loans the money from said company? Was this not the one he just recently wiped clean?

To be honest if he didn't go to City I'd want him to go to Chelsea! In my logic this would mean Chelsea would be stronger and more likely to win the title - which means the rags wouldn't win it.
We could always get Ibra, Balotelli, Dzeko or someone else...
I don't think City is quite ready to win the EPL yet but we definitely will be the season after this one! :)

Absolutely, mate, I'm not the biggest fan of United either, and we get the worst of them down here (because most of them live here :P).

City are definitely in for Ibrahimovic. I've heard that from loads of people that should know and I would bet that he'll be a (paler) blue by the end of the Summer. I'm also probably going to bet that City will win the PL depending on transfers really.

With regards to self sufficiency, UEFA rules etc. They come in at the start of the 2011/2012 season I believe, so Roman will want to spend now and save in the future. The official line is that they can spend big when the right player comes along for the right price (remember we spent £17.5 Million on Zhirkov, £18 Million on Bosingwa and offered £28 Million for Robinho and £50 Million for Kaka not too long ago). Presumably, Torres is one of those players.

The deal is being struck by Roman too, that's what I'd also add. The fee, should it go through, would come from Chelsea's revenue and would be filled by Roman straight after, so essentially Abramovich is the one financing the deal.

The word is, the press are right, a bid has definitely been made. I'm hearing £48.5 Million. Whether it will be accepted or not is a completely separate issue, but I can't see any serious deal being struck or rejected until after the World Cup.

lee-mcfc said:
stay at pool
move to chelsea or inter

thats my prediction 1 of them

I'd like him to move to Inter. Stops Chelsea gaining more firepower and further weakens Liverpool, after the sale of Benayoun.

fulhamroad22 said:
the--dud said:
I was going to post a stupid/arrogant/funny reply but I remembered you've made some good posts on here so I'll give you a measured proper reply instead :)

I understand what you're saying but has Abramovich not been blowing his trumpet for ages now about how Chelsea will be financially self-sufficient and how much he loves the new UEFA rules about debt etc?
I was under the impression Chelsea wouldn't get money funnelled from him any more but rather having to spend what they earn? Surely they couldn't afford to take £35m-£70m from their own operating profits to fund Torres?
Abramovich buying Torres would mean to "re-open" that holding company that he gives money to and then Chelsea loans the money from said company? Was this not the one he just recently wiped clean?

To be honest if he didn't go to City I'd want him to go to Chelsea! In my logic this would mean Chelsea would be stronger and more likely to win the title - which means the rags wouldn't win it.
We could always get Ibra, Balotelli, Dzeko or someone else...
I don't think City is quite ready to win the EPL yet but we definitely will be the season after this one! :)

Absolutely, mate, I'm not the biggest fan of United either, and we get the worst of them down here (because most of them live here :P).

City are definitely in for Ibrahimovic. I've heard that from loads of people that should know and I would bet that he'll be a (paler) blue by the end of the Summer. I'm also probably going to bet that City will win the PL depending on transfers really.

With regards to self sufficiency, UEFA rules etc. They come in at the start of the 2011/2012 season I believe, so Roman will want to spend now and save in the future. The official line is that they can spend big when the right player comes along for the right price. Presumably, Torres is one of those players.

The deal is being struck by Roman too, that's what I'd also add. The fee, should it go through, would come from Chelsea's revenue and would be filled by Roman straight after, so essentially Abramovich is the one financing the deal.

The word is, the press are right, a bid has definitely been made. I'm hearing £48.5 Million. Whether it will be accepted or not is a completely separate issue, but I can't see any serious deal being struck or rejected until after the World Cup.
Fair points. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not as excited by the prospect as i would have been a year ago, but that's mainly down to injuries, and the fact that i quite like both Adebayor and Tevez. But fair play if you land him. If he's fit, him and Drogba are the best two strikers in the world imo.

Well, as I've said before. The future is looking pretty good as it looks like blue teams will be at the top for the foreseeable future.

I think we might beat you to this one (or he'll stay at Liverpool), but let's see.

fulhamroad22 said:
Well, as I've said before. The future is looking pretty good as it looks like blue teams will be at the top for the foreseeable future.

I think we might beat you to this one (or he'll stay at Liverpool), but let's see.

Any chance you'd still like Robinho? =D

Torres to Chelsea
Ibra to City

I'd still be an happy man =)

C_T_I_D said:
lee-mcfc said:
stay at pool
move to chelsea or inter

thats my prediction 1 of them

I'd like him to move to Inter. Stops Chelsea gaining more firepower and further weakens Liverpool, after the sale of Benayoun.

true , well tbh i like chelsea so wouldnt mind if he did end up there
just cant see him coming to city its not like we need him anyways imo.

ono said:
fulhamroad22 said:

With regards to self sufficiency, UEFA rules etc. They come in at the start of the 2011/2012 season I believe, so Roman will want to spend now and save in the future. The official line is that they can spend big when the right player comes along for the right price. Presumably, Torres is one of those players.

Fair points. We'll have to wait and see. I'm not as excited by the prospect as i would have been a year ago, but that's mainly down to injuries, and the fact that i quite like both Adebayor and Tevez. But fair play if you land him. If he's fit, him and Drogba are the best two strikers in the world imo.

Is there not a further complication for Chelsea though guys? Are Terry and Lampard not contractually entitled to pay parity with the top earners at the club? This would mean that if they signed Torres and made him the best paid player then Chelsea would also need to find the extra money to keep the other two sweet. I think this deal will get too rich for them tbh and IMO he'll stay put for one more season at Liverpool before jumping ship.

If he confirms he isnt interested in joining us then I am sure we will ahve Ibra or Dzeko in within a few days of Torres saying no. I think most of the groundwork has already been done on various striking options

CityPar said:
ono said:

Is there not a further complication for Chelsea though guys? Are Terry and Lampard not contractually entitled to pay parity with the top earners at the club? This would mean that if they signed Torres and made him the best paid player then Chelsea would also need to find the extra money to keep the other two sweet. I think this deal will get too rich for them tbh and IMO he'll stay put for one more season at Liverpool before jumping ship.

Very possible that he'll stay at Liverpool and jump ship next year, but just to let you know, the pay parity clause disappeared with Lampard and Terry's last contract renewal in exchange for a pay rise and extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.