Fernando Torres [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I make you bang on with this, Billy.

I think he's ours to lose.

I've been telling the "He won't come to City. FACT" likkle City-ers amongst our support that for a while.

It's going to depend on whether he believes the sales pitch and can handle a season without Champs League.

Everything else is in our favour.

Captain Oats said:
fulhamroad22 said:
I don't want to have a dig or anything, but every story that I've seen that links Torres to another club, Chelsea seemed to be the main interested party with City also interested. The story with Torres has never been 'it's City's deal and Chelsea are going to hijack it', the story is Chelsea are front of the queue to get him and City are also interested.

Obviously, I can see where you are coming from and we have been linked with hijacking a number of your deals e.g. Tevez and Silva, but they were also reported as City being the main interested party. In the way the Torres saga is being reported the roles are reversed.

I'm not saying what the papers are saying is entirely true, it has been highly fabricated, however parts of it are true. Abramovich is flying out to South Africa to help with the 2018 Russian World Cup bid and to enjoy the World Cup semi-finals and final, however, the news I'm getting from people that work at Cobham that we have put in a bid of £48 Million. I don't know for sure what City have done, but I've heard various tidbits about a similar offer being made. As Nando has said, he is going to entertain any approaches until after the World Cup. Out of respect for the player, Liverpool are taking the same approach too, so bids are being made but won't be negotiated for a week or two.

Chelsea have always said that they will pay the millions should the right player, and this will be a proper fight for the player as Abramovich is determined to get Torres, to the point he will go anywhere up to £75 Million (which I think is excessive). I'd imagine City are probably working at the same kind of level.

so what you are saying the way the media are reporting it is nothing like the tevez and silva bid where chelsea were hijacking it. Its the other way round.

Like the robinho bid???? and we know how that one turned out. win win.

Ah, but Robinho was another extreme example. There's no way anyone could have predicted that City would be bought on the last day of the transfer window and go absolutely mental.

Even Robinho didn't know much if anything about City before the huge bid was made. I mean he was crying on the morning on the bid, begging to be sold to Chelsea.

At least with Torres, we know where we are, unless Blackburn gets bought by Bill Gates and they start spunking money up the walls and piss of both of us!

-------------------
With regards to which is the most attractive option, I really don't believe there is any difference. Sure Mansour and the other Sheikhs have more money to splash about, but it's going to be relative and the spending will slow once the team is built. It'll have to stop eventually (at least with transfers and wages) if City want to play in UEFA sanctioned competition due to the new rules they are bringing in.

If you flip the coin there are attractions to Chelsea as well:

- A massive wage only slightly below what City will offer
- A place on the same team as the Premier League champions
- An extremely good chance of immediate success
- Champions League football
- A place alongside some of the best players in the world
- The chance to live in the capital of the country
- Ambition to match anyone, the future is with Chelsea and City
- More immediate worldwide exposure than City, at least initially
- Therefore, a higher chance to sign new commercial deals, location will only help this

Hasnt chelseas chief exec already stated that they wont get in a bidding war with us, now while i respect that ahbramovich is a very rich man will he really want to get into a battle he knowns he cant win?

Now thats not me saying the player wont choose chelsea he may v well do so, the point im making is that he has already lost fact once in the robinho saga do you think he would do so again.

fulhamroad22 said:
I don't want to have a dig or anything, but every story that I've seen that links Torres to another club, Chelsea seemed to be the main interested party with City also interested. The story with Torres has never been 'it's City's deal and Chelsea are going to hijack it', the story is Chelsea are front of the queue to get him and City are also interested.

Obviously, I can see where you are coming from and we have been linked with hijacking a number of your deals e.g. Tevez and Silva, but they were also reported as City being the main interested party. In the way the Torres saga is being reported the roles are reversed.

I'm not saying what the papers are saying is entirely true, it has been highly fabricated, however parts of it are true. Abramovich is flying out to South Africa to help with the 2018 Russian World Cup bid and to enjoy the World Cup semi-finals and final, however, the news I'm getting from people that work at Cobham that we have put in a bid of £48 Million. I don't know for sure what City have done, but I've heard various tidbits about a similar offer being made. As Nando has said, he is going to entertain any approaches until after the World Cup. Out of respect for the player, Liverpool are taking the same approach too, so bids are being made but won't be negotiated for a week or two.

Chelsea have always said that they will pay the millions should the right player, and this will be a proper fight for the player as Abramovich is determined to get Torres, to the point he will go anywhere up to £75 Million (which I think is excessive). I'd imagine City are probably working at the same kind of level.

Right then mate, no disrespect but please list your signings including approx transfer fees for the last 3 years.

Then you will see our point, you are forever linked to players because of Roman's "wealth" however in effect have not signed a big money player for a while now.

What makes you think that you are going to bust the bank now when all that comes out of your club OFFICIALLY is tightening of belts and promoting youth?

fulhamroad22 said:
Captain Oats said:
so what you are saying the way the media are reporting it is nothing like the tevez and silva bid where chelsea were hijacking it. Its the other way round.

Like the robinho bid???? and we know how that one turned out. win win.

Ah, but Robinho was another extreme example. There's no way anyone could have predicted that City would be bought on the last day of the transfer window and go absolutely mental.

Even Robinho didn't know much if anything about City before the huge bid was made. I mean he was crying on the morning on the bid, begging to be sold to Chelsea.

At least with Torres, we know where we are, unless Blackburn gets bought by Bill Gates and they start spunking money up the walls and piss of both of us!

haha. that would ruin football!

i know what you mean about robbie im just pulling your leg. it will be an interesting few weeks. for some reason i just think we have a better shot at getting fernando than chelsea. We dont have champs league, but everything else points to us, location, silva, money. Maybe its just me seeing things through (sky) blue eyes.

when i say win win mind it probably is. whoever doesnt get torres will most likely get dzeko who is also a quality player.

BillyShears said:
fulhamroad22 said:
I don't want to have a dig or anything, but every story that I've seen that links Torres to another club, Chelsea seemed to be the main interested party with City also interested. The story has never been 'it's City's deal and Chelsea are going to hijack it', the story is Chelsea are front of the queue to get him and City are also interested.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of what's going on behind the scenes - we'll never know. Trying to deduce where the transfer stands from the outside looking in, I would say that Torres hasn't said "no" to City, and hasn't said "no" to Chelsea.

I read your posts from yesterday and to be honest 99% of what you have said makes perfect sense. Personally, I just don't see what, if any attraction, Torres would have to Chelsea beyond CL football for the upcoming season. If it's important to him, then it's a massive attraction. If however, he's looking at all the other factors, my opinion is that he'll choose City. We've already got one of his best mates playing for us. He wouldn't have to move from the North West where he is very settled. He would be within spitting distance of his pals at Liverpool (Reina et al). He'd be joining arguably the most ambitious and resourceful football club in the world. We've been chasing him since the day ADUG took over on August 31st 2008. He would probably become the highest paid player in the world.

Maybe there's some City bias in that, but those are my thoughts...going to be an interesting couple of weeks...

no bias there billy, simple logic, and no way whatsoever the shiekh will accept not getting him this time. As for fulham rd, I enjoyed your other posts but strongly disagree with your last..... Chelsea were just put in there place regarding silva, they had an offer totally rebuffed, I'll tell you why..... Were paying upfront, not on the chuckie, Valencia are bang in trouble, Hence the only viable option was for all the wonga at once.... Liverpool my good man are in a worse position, a loan payment of 50m must be met by October, not debating your in for him but you simply won't compete on this one skippy, arobavich simply won't pay those sort of sums up front. We will. Now is that competing on your level? Lol

Rammy Blue said:
fulhamroad22 said:

Right then mate, no disrespect but please list your signings including approx transfer fees for the last 3 years.

Then you will see our point, you are forever linked to players because of Roman's "wealth" however in effect have not signed a big money player for a while now.

What makes you think that you are going to bust the bank now when all that comes out of your club OFFICIALLY is tightening of belts and promoting youth?

The reason we haven't been signing players of value above £20 Million is because we don't need them (with all due respect City needed to spend to get them to the top of the table). We are already doing well, in fact last year we were the best in the country. Now the players are getting old and we need to rejuvinise our squad, so some of the highest earners most of which are old are being shipped out J. Cole, Ballack, Deco, Belletti etc, which will free up approx. £400,000 p/w in wages. Under half of that would be used on Torres.

The line of 'pushing through youth players' is because we have an extremely talented Youth Team and reserves, especially the likes of Gael Kakuta (you will hear a lot, lot more from him, I assure you) and Jeffrey Bruma. It's not intended as solely a cost cutting measure, it's to give our youth the chance they have earned and deserve.

The belt tightening thing, about breaking even is so that we can play European football in a couple of years time. Last year we made a loss of £20 Million (I think) which is down from £80 Million in 2005. The official line from the club is we still want to become financially self sufficient but we will still splash the cash when a decent player becomes available, and Torres is one of those players.

-- Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 am --

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:
BillyShears said:
I think it's fair to say that a lot of what's going on behind the scenes - we'll never know. Trying to deduce where the transfer stands from the outside looking in, I would say that Torres hasn't said "no" to City, and hasn't said "no" to Chelsea.

I read your posts from yesterday and to be honest 99% of what you have said makes perfect sense. Personally, I just don't see what, if any attraction, Torres would have to Chelsea beyond CL football for the upcoming season. If it's important to him, then it's a massive attraction. If however, he's looking at all the other factors, my opinion is that he'll choose City. We've already got one of his best mates playing for us. He wouldn't have to move from the North West where he is very settled. He would be within spitting distance of his pals at Liverpool (Reina et al). He'd be joining arguably the most ambitious and resourceful football club in the world. We've been chasing him since the day ADUG took over on August 31st 2008. He would probably become the highest paid player in the world.

Maybe there's some City bias in that, but those are my thoughts...going to be an interesting couple of weeks...

no bias there billy, simple logic, and no way whatsoever the shiekh will accept not getting him this time. As for fulham rd, I enjoyed your other posts but strongly disagree with your last..... Chelsea were just put in there place regarding silva, they had an offer totally rebuffed, I'll tell you why..... Were paying upfront, not on the chuckie, Valencia are bang in trouble, Hence the only viable option was for all the wonga at once.... Liverpool my good man are in a worse position, a loan payment of 50m must be met by October, not debating your in for him but you simply won't compete on this one skippy, arobavich simply won't pay those sort of sums up front. We will. Now is that competing on your level? Lol

To be honest, I never thought we were seriously in for Silva, we weren't linked that much in the press either beyond a couple of articles. I've heard our top targets, one has already been signed, the most expensive we have put a bid in for (and this fine thread is about) and the other target has not had much coverage yet, but is an extremely talented young German player.

Since the global economic recovery has begun as well, Abramovich's wealth has grown by something like 32%, so the money will be available should we need it.

fulhamroad22 said:
Rammy Blue said:

The reason we haven't been signing players of value above £20 Million is because we don't need them (with all due respect City needed to spend to get them to the top of the table). We are already doing well, in fact last year we were the best in the country. Now the players are getting old and we need to rejuvinise our squad, so some of the highest earners most of which are old are being shipped out J. Cole, Ballack, Deco, Belletti etc, which will free up approx. £400,000 p/w in wages. Under half of that would be used on Torres.

The line of 'pushing through youth players' is because we have an extremely talented Youth Team and reserves, especially the likes of Gael Kakuta (you will hear a lot, lot more from him, I assure you) and Jeffrey Bruma. It's not intended as solely a cost cutting measure, it's to give our youth the chance they have earned and deserve.

The belt tightening thing, about breaking even is so that we can play European football in a couple of years time. Last year we made a loss of £20 Million (I think) which is down from £80 Million in 2005. The official line from the club is we still want to become financially self sufficient but we will still splash the cash when a decent player becomes available, and Torres is one of those players.

Slightly contradictory though mate as if you had purchased a couple of decent buys in the last couple of years then you wouldn't have to be rejuvinizing your squad now because of it's ageing nature.

In the current economic climate I just cannot see Roman ploughing any decent money into your club, he has far more pressing issues. You shouldn't read too much into what the media says his wealth is, liquidity is a completely different animal to asset value.

Time will tell of course and I will happily eat humble pie if I am wrong although I don't expect to be dining any time soon....<br /><br />-- Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:51 am --<br /><br />
fulhamroad22 said:
Since the global economic recovery has begun as well, Abramovich's wealth has grown by something like 32%, so the money will be available should we need it.

Don't believe the hype.

:)

fulhamroad22 said:
Rammy Blue said:

-- Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:46 am --

Zin 'messiah' Zimmer said:

To be honest, I never thought we were seriously in for Silva, we weren't linked that much in the press either beyond a couple of articles. I've heard our top targets, one has already been signed, the most expensive we have put a bid in for (and this fine thread is about) and the other target has not had much coverage yet, but is an extremely talented young German player.

and yor most expensive purchase has been? Now we'll see how much roman has.

In my opinion too many people are getting too hot under the collar about our signings and to be frank I don't really care whether Torres signs for us or not. For me the transfer window is a bit of fun speculating on which player may join us and how the new team will look and whether we can say in advance we may have a more sucessful campaign this time round than last. But it isn't the end of the world. The one thing I am 100% convinced of is that our owner will suceed both off the field with the redeveloping of COMs and the surrounding area and on field with a team capable of beating the best in te world. Torres has two options, he can stay put, or he can move. If he stays put he may have a wonderful season at the dippers but if last year is anything to go by when he plays he will score but because of his injuries he will be forced to play maybe when he shouldn't. He can leave, I would like him to come to city but if he chooses Chelsea all well and good in my opinion, Chelsea will retain their title and Liverpool one of the sky big four will disappear into obsucurity. If he goes to chelsea City will have a plan b and plan c and whether we sign Ibra or Dzeko as far as I am concerned they will ding dang do for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.