FFP facing legal challenge (updated pg 12)

strongbowholic said:
badge said:
strongbowholic said:
Anything could happen. Back in the late 70's Jimmy Hill was Chairman of Coventry who were sponsored by Talbot Cars. Not too sure how far it got, but he was seriously considering / negotiating changing Coventry City FC to Talbot City FC.

coventry talbot, wasn't it?
Was it? All I know was it was the thin end of a very thick wedge where big business got it's nose in and has relentlessly pursued us ever since.

Jimmy Hill.

He's a wanker, he's a wanker....

As we regularly sang.
Don't forget this timeless classic Mr Bow:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laDlpDsWdiE[/youtube]

I think we're all in something of a panic about FFP and think we're going to be stuffed by an unholy alliance of English and European rivals. City fans are angry and some are scared: those running City don't give two hoots about FFP. Wonder why? Well, I suspect it's a question of scale. The PL and UEFA are frightened of Sheikh Mansour because of his personal wealth; he's about as rich (maybe just a touch less) than every other club owner in the PL put together, so those running football decide they'd better stop him spending HIS money on HIS football club. They'll find that the law won't let them do this, but they'll also find that it doesn't matter anyway. This is because the Sheikh is a businessman on a cosmic scale, handling countless companies, countless billions of $, of £, of euros etc. Posh people may not realise that when they stop off for a night in their 5* luxury hotel in London and have a meal there, the Sheikh figures somewhere in the shareholders of the hotel. And that's only a small part of the story. City is part of a mega-corporation. Try to stop it increasing its revenue when it's owner is rebuilding half of Manchester in the club's name, a chunk of New York for a club which City own, going to do the same thing in Shanghai and somewhere in South America. That's before we talk about the Emirates..."Football clubs can only spend what they earn." Give it 10 years and then just try spending half of what City earn!

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I think we're all in something of a panic about FFP and think we're going to be stuffed by an unholy alliance of English and European rivals. City fans are angry and some are scared: those running City don't give two hoots about FFP. Wonder why? Well, I suspect it's a question of scale. The PL and UEFA are frightened of Sheikh Mansour because of his personal wealth; he's about as rich (maybe just a touch less) than every other club owner in the PL put together, so those running football decide they'd better stop him spending HIS money on HIS football club. They'll find that the law won't let them do this, but they'll also find that it doesn't matter anyway. This is because the Sheikh is a businessman on a cosmic scale, handling countless companies, countless billions of $, of £, of euros etc. Posh people may not realise that when they stop off for a night in their 5* luxury hotel in London and have a meal there, the Sheikh figures somewhere in the shareholders of the hotel. And that's only a small part of the story. City is part of a mega-corporation. Try to stop it increasing its revenue when it's owner is rebuilding half of Manchester in the club's name, a chunk of New York for a club which City own, going to do the same thing in Shanghai and somewhere in South America. That's before we talk about the Emirates..."Football clubs can only spend what they earn." Give it 10 years and then just try spending half of what City earn!

Loving this !!!

So simple questions that require simple answers here:

Has FFFP been implemented or preparing to implement?

If it hasn't, surely a challenge offsets implementation until resolution legally found which is why the 'challenge' has gone in now and not next year?

Maybe I have missed the page explaining all of this...??

BluessinceHydeRoad said:

You write too many sensible posts on here,so I`ve only one question to ask you :
"who are yer,who are yer,who are ... ?"

gordondaviesmoustache said:
strongbowholic said:
badge said:
coventry talbot, wasn't it?
Was it? All I know was it was the thin end of a very thick wedge where big business got it's nose in and has relentlessly pursued us ever since.

Jimmy Hill.

He's a wanker, he's a wanker....

As we regularly sang.
Don't forget this timeless classic Mr Bow:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laDlpDsWdiE[/youtube]
Excellent sir!

very interesting thread so far, but we seem to be in limbo at the moment, waiting for the first shots to be fired.
Platini is the figure-head of FFP, but who is behind him, who is he representing? It cannot be one man on an ego-trip, the money at stake particularly t.v. rights will have attracted the likes of the Glazers for sure, but who else? Could BskyB have a big influence, BMW even, asian broadcasters, the problem is we don't know who our enemies are, except that there is serious money involved
Any clues anyone?

bellbuzzer said:
very interesting thread so far, but we seem to be in limbo at the moment, waiting for the first shots to be fired.
Platini is the figure-head of FFP, but who is behind him, who is he representing? It cannot be one man on an ego-trip, the money at stake particularly t.v. rights will have attracted the likes of the Glazers for sure, but who else? Could BskyB have a big influence, BMW even, asian broadcasters, the problem is we don't know who our enemies are, except that there is serious money involved
Any clues anyone?
If you read Platini's interview with Martin Samuel you'll see that the old G14 were behind him. FFP was clearly their price for staying in UEFA and disbanding in favour of the European Club Association.

How do City fans feel about the emergence of Monaco?

City had a decent fan base, stadium and a derelict area which their owner is gentrifying.

PSG are the only club in Europe's second major city. Again they have an existing fanbase and a stadium.

Chelsea were based in the most desirable part of London, had already cracked the top 4 of the most lucrative league in the world and have hoovered up trophies over the last decade that has transformed them from a club playing in front of 9,000 at the Bridge to one of the 10 best supported clubs in the world (yes, I realise most of these are glory hunters in Asia and America).

All three club owners made their moves before FFP became a reality.

Monaco have gates of 4,000 in a ground that holds 18,000 and can't be expanded in a location where it would be physically impossible to build a new stadium. They are based in an area where the demographic is not suited to building a fanbase, and are in a league that holds little appeal for the plastic Asian hordes. In terms of building a club that can sustain itself in the long run they can not compete with the other three .

Does this mean FFP is stillborn and from a City perspective, are Monaco a welcome development?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.