FFP facing legal challenge (updated pg 12)

Prestwich_Blue said:
For us, Monaco can only be a good thing as it challenges the whole notion of FFP as currently implemented.
Agree. I'm buzzing for them. I hope they continue and even buy some of our players like Lescott and Maicon etc. Fair play to them (pun intended).

I sit and wait with interest how PSG will react to the tax issues too. That's another FFP buster right there.

Look forward to Monaco's announcement of sponsorship. The Samaritans will be busy with Gill, Wenger and Ayre in the coming weeks.

NipHolmes said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
For us, Monaco can only be a good thing as it challenges the whole notion of FFP as currently implemented.
Agree. I'm buzzing for them. I hope they continue and even buy some of our players like Lescott and Maicon etc. Fair play to them (pun intended).

I sit and wait with interest how PSG will react to the tax issues too. That's another FFP buster right there.

Look forward to Monaco's announcement of sponsorship. The Samaritans will be busy with Gill, Wenger and Ayre in the coming weeks.

So you are saying you prefer a club like Monaco at the top table over a club like Borussia Dortmund?

Who are you 'buzzing' for? Their 5,000 fans? I understand those who say they welcome Monaco, because it suits City, but you make it sound like they are actually a good thing for football.

matty barton said:
How do City fans feel about the emergence of Monaco?

City had a decent fan base, stadium and a derelict area which their owner is gentrifying.

PSG are the only club in Europe's second major city. Again they have an existing fanbase and a stadium.

Chelsea were based in the most desirable part of London, had already cracked the top 4 of the most lucrative league in the world and have hoovered up trophies over the last decade that has transformed them from a club playing in front of 9,000 at the Bridge to one of the 10 best supported clubs in the world (yes, I realise most of these are glory hunters in Asia and America).

All three club owners made their moves before FFP became a reality.

Monaco have gates of 4,000 in a ground that holds 18,000 and can't be expanded in a location where it would be physically impossible to build a new stadium. They are based in an area where the demographic is not suited to building a fanbase, and are in a league that holds little appeal for the plastic Asian hordes. In terms of building a club that can sustain itself in the long run they can not compete with the other three .

Does this mean FFP is stillborn and from a City perspective, are Monaco a welcome development?

A welcome development for sure but I'm happy to see us continue working towards meeting FFP rather than going on another huge spending spree (granted it looks like we might be spending a fair bit this summer but a fair chunk of it will be funded by outgoing transfers and getting some big earners off the wage bill).

Let the likes of Monaco work out how they're going to comply in future once they've qualified for Europe (which they almost certainly will judging by the quality of the players they've been signing). I agree that I can't see their support base growing too much but while supporter numbers are very important to the development of any other club in the world, Monaco might not have to worry about income from fans so much because it's a millionaires playground and that in itself could enable them to attract some very lucrative sponsors.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
All it means I reckon if it gets thrown out is barca and real and bayern get stronger while we get hindered by prem fairplay, which will just ensure the rags and arse get to the quarters every year and taking the money.
A Prem FFP would not be allowed if a pan-European one had already be outlawed.

matty barton said:
NipHolmes said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

So you are saying you prefer a club like Monaco at the top table over a club like Borussia Dortmund?

Who are you 'buzzing' for? Their 5,000 fans? I understand those who say they welcome Monaco, because it suits City, but you make it sound like they are actually a good thing for football.

I'd prefer Dortmund yes but they are about to be rapped around the knuckles for toeing the party line and will lose their best two player TO THEIR DIRECT DOMESTIC RIVALS!!!

As for buzzing, yes I am. Falcao was agreed to Chelsea and imo is the best out there apart from Messi and Ronaldo, we've dodged a bullet. Also they are doing our 'dirty work' and will take the heat off us. If we sign Cavani, Fernandinho, Isco and maybe a few others then that is 100m+ spent. Monaco will overshadow this and they aren't the same as us.

Their owner isn't bothered about PR. He will go out and destroy FFP which is GOOD for the game. It I wanted a league where I can pick a winner before the league's kicked off then I'd be happy to watch Open all hours on repeat on BBC. I'm sick of hearing about FFP and I want it exposed for what it is, protection for the elite clubs. Samuel exposed it and now I want it exposed in court. Monaco will likely do this. Anzhi also.

This is a good thing. Who are we to say Monaco shouldn't be allowed. Nobody is better than any other and nobody has divine rights. Equality.

matty barton said:
NipHolmes said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Why isn't it a good thing for football? I welcome anyone that confronts and takes on the existing hegemony.

matty barton said:
NipHolmes said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

On balance, it could be argued that it doesn't suit City because they're now going to be competing for the same types of players that we are but at the same time I've never been one to judge what sum of money another club should or shouldn't spend on players. That's not a mindset that I've suddenly developed since we won the lottery in 2008 by the way - it's how I've always felt. Don't get me wrong, I can be a right bitter twat towards certain other clubs at times but one thing I've never done is taken issue with what other clubs have spent (apart from when hypocritical opposition fans complain about City's spending of course), even if I deemed them to be smaller clubs than us and it directly affected us. And that has happened in the past - I've seen the likes of Craig Hignett choose Barnsley over City because they were prepared to pay him more money. I've no beef with Barnsley whatsoever about that - my issues were entirely with our own club and how it was being run.

SWP's back said:
matty barton said:
NipHolmes said:

Why isn't it a good thing for football? I welcome anyone that confronts and takes on the existing hegemony.
;)

Pressure.

It comes both sides. From G-clubs to the new powerhouses. G clubs may threaten but they argue a losing point, the powerhouses argue business sound points and no court would deem them wrong. On the contrary.

It's like Bernie E saying to F1 teams, right Red Bull, you can wind it in. Ferrari are allowed to spend the most because yet are the biggest, you can spend less because you're new to the party. Red Bull would tell him to fuck off (rightfully so) and F1 would have to deal with it or else they shopt themselves in the foot and lose a powerhouse. This is no different.

Equality, something FFP doesn't have but gives illusion to having. Scratch the surface and its inequality and Monaco, PSG, Anzhi etc will form an orderly queue to prove it.

Prestwich_Blue said:
bellbuzzer said:
very interesting thread so far, but we seem to be in limbo at the moment, waiting for the first shots to be fired.
Platini is the figure-head of FFP, but who is behind him, who is he representing? It cannot be one man on an ego-trip, the money at stake particularly t.v. rights will have attracted the likes of the Glazers for sure, but who else? Could BskyB have a big influence, BMW even, asian broadcasters, the problem is we don't know who our enemies are, except that there is serious money involved
Any clues anyone?
If you read Platini's interview with Martin Samuel you'll see that the old G14 were behind him. FFP was clearly their price for staying in UEFA and disbanding in favour of the European Club Association.
Are City in the European Club Association? Also which clubs are in it - in total.
If so what is the aim of this "Association"?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.