FFP - Scudamore Says Carry On Regardless

This title win should be the springboard to enormous growth. Title success brings new fans across the world. However, the manner of our title win on Sunday was such that any 'bounce' in terms of fan numbers we would get for a win will have been magnified immensely. That all translates to a healthy bottom line. Add in the fact 'everyone wants a piece of the champions', we should see more revenue from sponsorship and other subsidiary rights.

Finally, the most important factor is Sheikh Mansour and the team will have made contingency for FFP well in advance of our title win to make sure we are on solid ground anyway.

My only concern is it will be teed up nicely for either Rummenigge or Hoeness to take over UEFA and they have already shown how much they despise what City have done. They could be slightly more worthy adversaries than Napoleon.

80s Shorts said:
baldybouncer said:
80s Shorts said:
The thing is, they are not telling compainies how to operate. They are just saying you cannot enter their competition if you dont operate how they would like.

Well that is a restrictive practice then isn't it! In my opinion, UEFA have no right to dictate how a business is run. The Premier League and the FA don't invoke such restrictive financial regulations even though (apparently!) they do run the infamous "fit and proper" tests over prospective club buyers.

No it isnt. It is their competition. They are not and could not tell anybody how to operate. Simple really.

so they hold a monopoly and will dictate any terms they want to force other businesses to conform to their way? are there not rules in business to stop these things from taking place?

salfordblues said:
Listening to Scudamore yesterday, there does seem to be a growing rift between the UEFA and the Premier League. Not sure what this will mean in terms of Champions League football. It all depends on how heavily UEFA sanction those teams who fall foul of this disproportionate rule.
FFP isn't going to go away. The PL have been completely negligent in turning a blind eye to financial problems and ownership issues. People like Shinawatra, Gaydamak (at Pompey), the Glazers, Hicks & Gillett and Venkys should never have been given carte blanche to take over and ruin or nearly ruin their clubs.

When we were in trouble just before ADUG took over, Scudamore was desperately ringing people to try to persuade them to rescue us, as I understand it. The reaction he got was that there was no point as it would cost a lot less to do that once the club had gone into administration and they would be debt free. It would have been acutely embarrassing for the "brand" though and I suspect he breathed a heavy sigh of relief following the takeover by ADUG.

But he and the football authorities will have to tackle the issue of unsustainable finances at some point. The Football League is introducing FFP-type rules but Scudamore still has his head in the sand. His solution involves getting ever more money in but fail to stop even more than they get in going out.

Platini's original intention for FFP was, as far as I can see, totally praiseworthy as it tried to tackle the issue of clubs' debt burdens alongside the general issue of clubs sending more than they earn. But some of the established clubs like the rags managed to persuade him to pay lip service to debt rather than take concrete steps to tackle it. So now it protects those who have taken reckless gambles on their clubs' futures by putting in a little cash and taking on a lot of debt, while penalising those who invest via equity and risk their own capital only.

Neither the current FFP approach or Scudamore's attitude is the right one.

Let them ban us (not that it would ever happen)..............

Premier league or Champions league?

After Sunday I couldn't give a flying fuck about winning the champions league. Nothing,absolutely nothing will ever beat Sunday....

Unless we do it again in fergie time next year!

If they really wanted to look out for all clubs they would have just issued a salary cap to slowly be in place in the next 4 years, instead, they did something that is solely advantageous towards the larger clubs, slapped a sticker on it that said "for the good of everyone", and small clubs were happy for a minute.

All this is doing is taking us in the direction of a European league IMO. I think the FA becoming slowly irritated with it is a good thing though. Honestly I wish every league would drop out of FIFA, and reform. Let each league govern themselves or something. I don't know, I haven't really thought about that aspect too much.

Sad for football that no other football club and its fans will be able to go down the journey we have gone. Ironic that a measure aimed at protecting football actually damages it.

Also ironic that the club which most commentators think stands to lose most...MCFC....will actually benefit as it means our back is protected. We're in the club now, and no one can follow us. Only way we can cock it up is through bad management......providing we expand the stadium and infrastructure whilst we are on top of the pile. Grow the club while you have a team on the pitch that everyone wants to watch

In my opinion if they do take over UEFA they will have to tred carefully....A lot of clubs now (including ourselves) have a lot of power in football terms. Any major tinkering and sanctions imposed by UEFA will not go down well......and surely this would then be the start of possibly a breakaway tournament being formed by the clubs themselves

Prestwich_Blue said:
salfordblues said:
Listening to Scudamore yesterday, there does seem to be a growing rift between the UEFA and the Premier League. Not sure what this will mean in terms of Champions League football. It all depends on how heavily UEFA sanction those teams who fall foul of this disproportionate rule.
FFP isn't going to go away. The PL have been completely negligent in turning a blind eye to financial problems and ownership issues. People like Shinawatra, Gaydamak (at Pompey), the Glazers, Hicks & Gillett and Venkys should never have been given carte blanche to take over and ruin or nearly ruin their clubs.

When we were in trouble just before ADUG took over, Scudamore was desperately ringing people to try to persuade them to rescue us, as I understand it. The reaction he got was that there was no point as it would cost a lot less to do that once the club had gone into administration and they would be debt free. It would have been acutely embarrassing for the "brand" though and I suspect he breathed a heavy sigh of relief following the takeover by ADUG.

But he and the football authorities will have to tackle the issue of unsustainable finances at some point. The Football League is introducing FFP-type rules but Scudamore still has his head in the sand. His solution involves getting ever more money in but fail to stop even more than they get in going out.

Platini's original intention for FFP was, as far as I can see, totally praiseworthy as it tried to tackle the issue of clubs' debt burdens alongside the general issue of clubs sending more than they earn. But some of the established clubs like the rags managed to persuade him to pay lip service to debt rather than take concrete steps to tackle it. So now it protects those who have taken reckless gambles on their clubs' futures by putting in a little cash and taking on a lot of debt, while penalising those who invest via equity and risk their own capital only.

Neither the current FFP approach or Scudamore's attitude is the right one.
so we're as bad burned as scalded then?

From how I understand it (granted I could be wrong) the FFP rules are only concerned with the yearly turnover of the club, it that is the case, then the long term financial state of clubs that have been taken over through a 'leveraged' buyout is totally reliant on the state of the banks and their ability to lend the clubs cash. If we end up in a similar economic situation and the banks start to slow their lending, what then? A team like utd have the benefit of having a brand that sells overseas, but what about the smaller less popular teams?
They break even, but still owe the banks £200million, the bank wants their money back, then what? FFP will have prevented them from spending any cash over the last few years, and then they'll be hamstrung by trying to pay the debts down, slowing investment in the squad and causing the club to spiral down through the leagues where there's even less money.
FFP will benefit those who have already benefitted from investment, or those who have been prudent enough to minimise the debts on the club, no one else.
There's my tuppence...

So Real madrid and barca can dump hundreds of millions of Eurodebt on the doorstep of Spanish banks and Platini will be fine with it BUT City can be a NO DEBT CLUB, with a wealthy benefactor who is BUILDING A BUSINESS, who are penalized for their no-debt structure as it is "ruining football?"

Err, OK! See you in Court, Mr. Platini!!

Also, FFP only seeks to see clubs IMPROVING their FFP structural position year over year, so in that respect, the "PROJECT" is well on track to succeed. As for the notion that ANY investments in the club through merchandizing or promotion or branding will NOT be counted is simply ridiculous! Can ANYONE quantify how much revenue Etihad receive from their sponsorship of Man City now? I would bet my house it is more than £400M over the next 10 years! Heck, it might be £400M one rate next TWO!

I have a feeling Sheikh Mansour is ready, willing and able to do whatever he needs to do to NOT ALLOW Platini to jeopardize his considerable investment. Whatever he needs to do!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.