Final or semi

cibaman said:
The SF is only significant because we beat Stoke. But we wouldnt have beaten Stoke without winning the SF.

By beating Stoke, the SF victory became more important than it was at the time. So in retrospect it was the more important match.

But then the actual final victory took on another dimension because of the 35 years thing.

I dont know.

In a nutshell, exactly how i feel, the pain didnt erase on semi day it did final day, hence the tears

Thought the semi was the bigger game......until that is, I took my seat for the final. Then Abide with me, the Anthem, presentation of the players, Coldstream Guards and so on, made me realise the final was every bit as important and more. In the end I couldn't choose between them, and tellingly I celebrated every bit as hard when Ya Ya scored in the final as I did when he scored in the semi

Must admit I had my doubts about the final matching the sheer emotion of the semi but for those of a certain age,when the final whistle went at the final it was very very special.
I am in the age bracket of blues who has only ever seen misery really and was only 11 in 1976 so the fact we won a trophy edges it for me.
Oh and more of the same next season please blues,got the taste now.

Final for me..Whats the point in winning the Semi and losing the final. Yes it was great to beat the rag scum but even sweeter knowing we beat them on the way to lifting the cup..Mega 6 weeks I'm sure all would agree

Got to say the semi was the one for me, I was completely and utterley goosed after the final, a lot to do with driving and setting off at silly o'clock in the morning, plus the mental drain, so yes, the semi was more memorable for me as a day and event, I was just relieved and overjoyed after the final, then I drove home and watched it again just to make sure.........!
Overnight stay next time.

blue12 said:
Must admit I had my doubts about the final matching the sheer emotion of the semi but for those of a certain age,when the final whistle went at the final it was very very special.
I am in the age bracket of blues who has only ever seen misery really and was only 11 in 1976 so the fact we won a trophy edges it for me.
Oh and more of the same next season please blues,got the taste now.

I can totally understand that point of view (I thought I had the same one myself - I'm probably in a similar age bracket, just younger and more handsome ;))

I'm still watching the matches, final I'm loving. For the semi (on at the moment) I'm still nervous, and I know we've won.

To be honest, I'm going to hate to see the day, when a cup final or semi is just another game. Hopefully it will never happen.

Not sure you can answer the question if we had lost the final then the semi would have been for nothing and the media and the rags would have hammered us for that so winning the final made the semi better.

The final for me on that basis

seen as i dont have any kids yet they were proberbly the first and second best days of my life

the semi was my first trip to wembley and we won a derby meaning we had done the hard part....

the final was my first cup final so i will always remember it for the rest of my life and it was the first trophy i have seen..... abide with me, the national anthem, yaya, the final whistle, being with my dad instead of my mates due to the occasion and the celebrations

cried at both games but the final definatly meant more to me because i dont know what i would of done if we lost

The semi final was fantastic for lots of reasons; 1st trip to New Wembley, playing and beating them, the atmosphere was electric...

But the final was really special in it's own right, despite being a poorer game. For instance it was a lot friendlier beforehand which is always better and it was the moment we actually picked up a major trophy and got that monkey off our backs. I also shed a tear at the final so It's right up there with the semi, and both are staying on V+.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.