Fine Margins, rub of the Green, and Shocking Officials

What I'd add to the "unlucky" pile that is harder to quantify is the ridiculous lethality other teams are experiencing when we make an error. It feels like every mistake our back line makes it punished by some wonder goal or every double deflection goes into the path of their striker.

As many have said, none of this excuses the performances and we are where we belong in the table, but I suppose if you're looking for reasons for optimism there has to be some good fortune in our future, I think we've been incredibly unlucky

KippaxCitizen said:
jimmygrimblesboots said:
What the chances of us not conceding a dodgy penalty , or an offside goal or a 35 yard wonder goal flying into the top corner ,on Sunday ? With our current run of luck ..............zero.
Well let's get some magic fairy dust and a few wizards wands out to counter this bad "luck" (that doesn't exist)...i suppose those blaming luck also believe it fate and destiny and that the magic sponge/spray actually exists too eh?

Prefer the gypsies curse story myself , and now your saying the magic sponge doesnt exist , just dont try and convince me the world is round , that really would be hard to take. Must go , having Quidditch players pie for my tea.

Last night about a minute before Palace scored the dubious first goal completely against the run of play, Tyler said something like "It would be typical if Palace went and scored now"

He said it because it was a completely ridiculous concept at the time... but was there a City fan anywhere who wasn't totally expecting exactly that to happen

trublue55 said:
Ok, if you want to accuse me of having my blue tinted specs on, i will acknowledge in some games we have been poor, and in many we have not performed as well as i would have liked or expected, some of out team selections and tactics, have been, dubious / questionable / naive (please delete as necessary), but i've just cast my mind back over the seasons fixtures, where points have been dropped, and i've gone from personal memory, not searched high and low through the games for excuses.

Stoke (h) they score from our corner, and definite penalty for YaYa not given
Arsenal (a) both Arsenal goals should have been disallowed for fouls, and at least one def penalty when Wilshire played basketball not given
United (h) 3 nailed on penalties not given, one would have resulted in a second red card, (game still won)
Southampton (a) stonewall penalty not given (would have been opening goal, amazingly Aguero booked for "diving") game still won
Burnley (h) 2-0 up, first goal that started comeback, clearly offside
Arsenal (h) despite dominating opening, game turned on contentious early penalty, although we offered very little afterv that
Burnley (a) definite penalty for Zab in final minutes
Palace (a) first goal offside and blatant penalty not given

These are only my initial thoughts, and im sure there are many other similar instances

Next we have hit the woodwork more times than any other team this year, i'm sorry thats not bad shooting, its bad luck, in just about every instant , last night included, the keeper was beaten, but a fine margin denied us.

They say you make your own luck, and the harder you work, the luckier you get, but just look at Chelsea's last 2 games, ahead in both games, and pulled back by opponents to level in both. Both victories absolutely gifted to them, by otherwise normally reliable keepers. MacGregor lets a weak shot roll under him, and Begovic rolls the ball straight out to a Chelsea player, resulting in the winner. Neither of those wins came about, through Chelsea's hard work or skill, purely good fortune, gifted to them by an opponent

Sure, all is not right at City, there is plenty of room for improvement, not least of all in transfer policy for starters, and i currently have no firm views on Pellegrini in or out, (i suspect his future will be decided at the end of the season, depending on whether 2nd or 3rd is achieved, below that, and i think he will be gone.

That said, as the thread title implies, i honestly think a hell of a lot of our destiny this season is down to fine margins, the rub of the green, and shocking officials, and the sooner some form of video technology is used, (at least for penalty decisions) the better!
this wont be introduced. it will blow their agenda wide open and it will become inoperable.

trublue55 said:
Ok, if you want to accuse me of having my blue tinted specs on, i will acknowledge in some games we have been poor, and in many we have not performed as well as i would have liked or expected, some of out team selections and tactics, have been, dubious / questionable / naive (please delete as necessary), but i've just cast my mind back over the seasons fixtures, where points have been dropped, and i've gone from personal memory, not searched high and low through the games for excuses.

Arsenal (a) both Arsenal goals should have been disallowed for fouls, and at least one def penalty when Wilshire played basketball not given
United (h) 3 nailed on penalties not given, one would have resulted in a second red card, (game still won)
Southampton (a) stonewall penalty not given (would have been opening goal, amazingly Aguero booked for "diving") game still won
Arsenal (h) despite dominating opening, game turned on contentious early penalty, although we offered very little afterv that

These are only my initial thoughts, and im sure there are many other similar instances

Next we have hit the woodwork more times than any other team this year, i'm sorry thats not bad shooting, its bad luck, in just about every instant , last night included, the keeper was beaten, but a fine margin denied us.

They say you make your own luck, and the harder you work, the luckier you get, but just look at Chelsea's last 2 games, ahead in both games, and pulled back by opponents to level in both. Both victories absolutely gifted to them, by otherwise normally reliable keepers. MacGregor lets a weak shot roll under him, and Begovic rolls the ball straight out to a Chelsea player, resulting in the winner. Neither of those wins came about, through Chelsea's hard work or skill, purely good fortune, gifted to them by an opponent

Sure, all is not right at City, there is plenty of room for improvement, not least of all in transfer policy for starters, and i currently have no firm views on Pellegrini in or out, (i suspect his future will be decided at the end of the season, depending on whether 2nd or 3rd is achieved, below that, and i think he will be gone.

That said, as the thread title implies, i honestly think a hell of a lot of our destiny this season is down to fine margins, the rub of the green, and shocking officials, and the sooner some form of video technology is used, (at least for penalty decisions) the better!

Agree entirely with you. But it's so frigging depressing to have all this bad luck!!! The scum seemed to go 20 years with no bad luck to speak of!

Fine Margins, rub of the Green, and Shocking Officials AND too many changes to the starting eleven just to give squad members minutes. A comment was made on Monday night's telecast that playing the same 11 as much as possible may lead to tiredness later in the game but those players are MATCH SHARP whereas some of our squad may be fit, they are not match fit or sharp.

trublue55 said:

Cannot argue with much you have written, but as others have said previously, we needn't put ourselves in this position.

Its a sad day when were looking at excuses outside of our team (and I include the management team in this) as a reflection of why we are where we are today

tonea2003 said:
the whole point is we allow ourselves to be put in these positions

we are not putting games to bed where the above don't matter

/thread.

Been on the end of some absolute howlers that has cost us dear points wise and would have made a huge difference.

Dont turn this into a thread about slagging the manager off as we have enough of those and despite his failings which even im beginning to admit too, we have been shit on by the officials this season and its made a huge difference.

The fucking rags didn't go on their run of dominance without their help and we certainly never will if we don't start to get the rub of the green shall we say!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.