First City Goal You Saw Live

Ray Sambrook, 7 October 1961. We lost 2-1 at home to Cardiff after being 1-0 up at half time. Don't think Sambrook ever scored for us again and was transferred to Doncaster. Glory hunter, me.

Ray Sambrook, 7 October 1961. We lost 2-1 at home to Cardiff after being 1-0 up at half time. Don't think Sambrook ever scored for us again and was transferred to Doncaster. Glory hunter, me.
Glory hunter, indeed.. it’s Johnny-come-latelies like you who help feed the myths about City spread by supporters of The Red Filth and Littlepool FC (!!) Am a ‘glory hunter’ of similar vintage to you.. next month will be 60 years to the day my Old Man took me to Maine Road for the first time and my first ever City goal live was scored by Billy McAdam.. he got a hat-trick that day against the then-champions Wolves (yes, you young ones who might read this, fancy that, the likes of Wolves have actually been champions!) with Colin Barlow pitching in with a fourth.. mind, Wolves put six past Bert Trautmann.. my baptism as a Blue into the world of ‘typical City’..

My first city goal was way back in the mid 60's Man City v Bury. If I remember correctly Colin Bell scored for City that had to go in goal because Harry Dowd broke a finger.

My first city goal was way back in the mid 60's Man City v Bury. If I remember correctly Colin Bell scored for City that had to go in goal because Harry Dowd broke a finger.
Colin Bell made his debut and scored that day.. for Bury! Harry Dowd did indeed break his finger but was able to return to play up front after Matt Gray went in goal. With time running out, Derek Kevan hit the bar but Harry turned in the rebound to equalise. Earlier that season (63-64) we also drew 1-1 at Gigg Lane, with an even more serious injury to Joe Hayes who broke his leg. If I recall correctly, the crowd at Gigg Lane for that game was in the region of 20000.. no doubt modern day Shakers fans wish they could attract crowds like that nowadays!

You, sir are a mere youth.
Mine was by Andy Black, but I can't recall the details.
The Old Man always talked about Andy Black’s prowess as a centre-forward and how he won most battles in the air. Dad used to tell me about how AB had a pub near Ringway Airport after he finished at City. The Old Man and my uncles used it as their weekend local, getting to know him quite well.

The Old Man always talked about Andy Black’s prowess as a centre-forward and how he won most battles in the air. Dad used to tell me about how AB had a pub near Ringway Airport after he finished at City. The Old Man and my uncles used it as their weekend local, getting to know him quite well.
I went in that pub when Andy Black was behind the bar. It was part of the pub crawl run starting at the Happy Man and the Mountain Ash having a half pint in every pub along Portway to finish up at the Heald Green. We never did manage to finish that run.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.