First City Goal You Saw Live

Was a Carling cup home game 2004, we got beat by arsenal 1-2, Robbie Fowler scored our only goal with a free kick, which he slipped as he struck the ball.

In my first game, in December 1975, we lost 1-0 at home to Leeds and the first goal I ever saw scored in competitive senior football was by the visitors' Paul Madeley. The first by City was in the FA Cup at home to Hartlepool in January 1976, which we won 6-0. The scorers are given in the BM history section as Booth (2), Tueart (2), Hartford and Oakes, so I assume that Tommy Booth got the first (thus being my answer to the OP's question).

Tueart must have got the next two as he was sent off at 3-0, which is my only real detailed memory from the game (for the rest, I just recall City scoring or nearly scoring for practically the entire 90 minutes). Dennis was kicked by a Hartlepool defender, got up and head-butted the bloke, fracturing his cheekbone. My old man explained to me that Dennis had to go off for retaliation, and I claimed that he should have stayed on because the defender had fouled first so deserved everything he got.

Mick Channon versus dirty leeds in nov 77.

we lost 2-3 (but only know that cos I looked it up, my memory has us winning)

In my first game, in December 1975, we lost 1-0 at home to Leeds and the first goal I ever saw scored in competitive senior football was by the visitors' Paul Madeley. The first by City was in the FA Cup at home to Hartlepool in January 1976, which we won 6-0. The scorers are given in the BM history section as Booth (2), Tueart (2), Hartford and Oakes, so I assume that Tommy Booth got the first (thus being my answer to the OP's question).

Tueart must have got the next two as he was sent off at 3-0, which is my only real detailed memory from the game (for the rest, I just recall City scoring or nearly scoring for practically the entire 90 minutes). Dennis was kicked by a Hartlepool defender, got up and head-butted the bloke, fracturing his cheekbone. My old man explained to me that Dennis had to go off for retaliation, and I claimed that he should have stayed on because the defender had fouled first so deserved everything he got.
I've read since that the defender & Tueart were actually good friends before and after the incident.

Not 100% sure but think it was Tueart in the 4-3 win vs Derby in 75/76.
What a game. Doyle sent off. Tueart's winner took an eternity to go in. He rounded the keeper and squeezed it in from an impossible angle. My 1st match on the kippax - couldn't get in Platt Lane that day. On my dad's shoulders. Fucking hell I loved Maine Rd.

Checking back, it was Mick Shannon in a 3-1 win against Wolves in 1979. I think we were 3-0 up at halftime. I hadn’t quite grasped the concept of changing ends, so when Wolves scored in the second half I jumped up because I thought that’s what you did. Clearly I hadn’t even grasped the concept of different kits either! I was 26.

First one I really remember was Paul Moulden against Everton in 1986. It was nearly Christmas and I think we lost 3-1 to the remnants of the last really good Everton side. Seem to remember it was a low drive from the edge of the box.
we went down that season, they won the league. Paul Power played for Everton that day. We were shit.

I do have snapshot of games I vaguely remember Phil Boyer playing for us and seeing Arsenal shirts from the Platt Lane Stand.

I remember us beating Norwich 6-0 in the FA Cup in 1980 and certainly jumping off the settee when Tommy Hutchinson scored in the 81 final, so would have been six.

The one goal I still remember first live was Trevor Francis scoring with a lob in the final minutes on Boxing Day 1981 to win 2-1.

I was actually scared, as it was packed and my dad was leading me back up the steps of the Main Stand to the exit when we turned and just saw it dropping in.

The roar was just incredible and remember my dad lifting me up with his all mates, celebrating, so that's probably why it has stayed with me. We went top of Division One that day?

Trevor Francis was this supposed superhero, I had an orange fly away football which had his name on it. Remember crying my eyes out when on one particular windy day it ran away from me and carried on all the way down Lloyd Street South, past Bernettes, and had to let it go because I wasn't allowed to cross the road. It was like watching a balloon in the sky disappear at the fun fair.

Christ, 38 years, where did it all go?

8 March 1969 - The wonderful Michael Summerbee scored the only goal of the game at the Swamp. I was stood behind the goal at the Scoreboard End into which Buzzer put the ball.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.