First game disappointments

Last game of 83-84 we beat Cambridge 5-0. Great start. Shame about the next 26 years.

I think my second game was a week later in an end of season friendly. If I remember correctly it was against some kind of invitation 11 - I remember Mike Sweeney from Picadily radio came on too boo's as he was a known red. City team was full of retired players.

Does anyone remember this?

First game I took my son to was abandoned with City winning. I thought it was against Ipswich in about 1994 but can't see it in the history section. (It wasn't the later Ipswich game that was abandoned as the boy was only 5 or 6 at the time) i also seem to remember that Vonk had scored. What I do remember vividly was getting soaked on the way to the ground and soaked on the way home and my son being thoroughly miserable. I told him to get used to it!

Wreckless Alec said:
First game I took my son to was abandoned with City winning. I thought it was against Ipswich in about 1994 but can't see it in the history section. (It wasn't the later Ipswich game that was abandoned as the boy was only 5 or 6 at the time) i also seem to remember that Vonk had scored. What I do remember vividly was getting soaked on the way to the ground and soaked on the way home and my son being thoroughly miserable. I told him to get used to it!

Yeah it was Ipswich we were 2 up if I remember rightly and Tony Coton went nuts when the ref abandoned it as did my dad as i threw away my ticket stub and therefore couldnt get a refund

Wreckless Alec said:
was that about 97? my first match on my own so i would have been 12/13 it was a league cup game if we're talking about the same game

Edit-

Gary James said:
Just to add... There were 2 Ipswich games abandoned, both at Maine Road in the stadium's final decade.

3/1/94 City 2-0 Ipswich Ingebrigtsen (his 'only' League goal, scrubbed from the records) & Vonk; Att: 20,306. Abandoned after 39 mins (replay ended 2-1 to City on 5/2, 28,188, Griffiths & Flitcroft).

12/12/2000 City 1-1 Ipswich, Dickov, 23,260, abandoned after 23 mins (replay ended 1-2, 19/12, Goater, 31,252), League Cup).

seems there were 2 games abandoned

For my first game we lost to fucking County. Beat that.

Apparently that was only a friendly according to my Dad so my first match was the 2-1 victory over Rotherham in the Keegan promotion season.

MATCITY said:
Wreckless Alec said:
was that about 97? my first match on my own so i would have been 12/13 it was a league cup game if we're talking about the same game

Edit-

Gary James said:
Just to add... There were 2 Ipswich games abandoned, both at Maine Road in the stadium's final decade.

3/1/94 City 2-0 Ipswich Ingebrigtsen (his 'only' League goal, scrubbed from the records) & Vonk; Att: 20,306. Abandoned after 39 mins (replay ended 2-1 to City on 5/2, 28,188, Griffiths & Flitcroft).

12/12/2000 City 1-1 Ipswich, Dickov, 23,260, abandoned after 23 mins (replay ended 1-2, 19/12, Goater, 31,252), League Cup).

seems there were 2 games abandoned

Excellent, that was it, the '94 game. Screamer from Vonk and then abandoned. Only 20,000 there too. Not quite York away but one for the collection !

I was at both the abandoned Ipswich games. The one in 94 was the game that when it was eventually replayed was Franny's first game as chairman. In the original game I remember being stood on the Kippax and emptying the water out of my trainer. The match in 2000 was the League Cup QF. The weather was evil that night. I remember rain crashing off the main stand like sea hitting rocks it was that bad. IIRC Dickov put us one up before the ref called it off. And typical City we lost the replay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.