First game disappointments

It was against Stoke in 1973,and we drew 0-0;that wasn't the disappointing part, it was being stuck in the old mans car for what seemed an eternity,outside the Denmark.

Blue Streak said:
citykev28 said:
City Square said:
City 1 Oldham 2 - 91-92 season with my old man in the Main Stand.

Graeme Sharpe had a field day at Maine Road, well that's what the end of season review highlights said, still remember that line now.

Needless to say I was hooked and next season I had my first ST on the Kippax.

That would've been the 4th? October I reckon. It should have been on my birthday on the Saturday. It was the game when we held a candle light protest against Swales and Paul Power was patrolling the Kippax giving candles out.

Hang on, either you've got the wrong season or I've mixed the game up. Was it a night match? I don't remember Oldham being in the top flight before the Premier League started.

I'm sure the game with the candle protest was against Coventry City? I was there on the Kippax and it was the night we found out the new manager was Brian Horton. Or am I getting old as well?????

You're getting old! The Coventry game was the start of that season if I remember. Peter Reid had been sacked and Horton was in line to come in. Was this a Friday game for some reason? I was in Corfu at the time and missed it.

The Oldham game with the candles was later in the season and we lost to Oldham on a Monday night.

City Square has just proved to me that I'm losing the plot. I used to pride myself on being able to recall the minor details of City's seasons but can't for the life of me remember Oldham being up in the top flight before the Premier League started.

I've just watched the clip and am gobsmacked. I was at that match but would have put money on it never having happened. Also, how good is our football in the build up to our goal?

citykev28 said:
City 1 Shrewsbury Town 3. 1-0 up at half time through a Paul Lake penalty, we crumbled in the second half. I didn't need a fucking citizen card to get on the Kippax that day.
This was my first ever game on the Kippax after 2 games in the old family stand (wedged between the main stand and north stand)

My 1st game was when Bell returned from injury when we played Newcastle at home. Hardly a reason for disappointments here any way you look at it, but it was my first visit in England and I was introduced to the fish and chips that day.

noely said:
my first game was city v oldham in 1988 they beat us 4-1

I'd driven to this game with my 2 Oldham neigbours.....didn't wait to pick them up after the game.

My first match was Coventry City in 1970 1-1 draw with a twice taken Franny penalty.

As a 7 year old I was surprised that there was no commentary inside the ground through the speakers. I soon got over it.

Last game of the 92/93 season and we got battered 5-2 by Everton. Three nil down within half an hour, it wasn't the best of starts to be honest...

eversince 76 said:
My 1st game was when Bell returned from injury when we played Newcastle at home. Hardly a reason for disappointments here any way you look at it, but it was my first visit in England and I was introduced to the fish and chips that day.
Landed on your feet with that one. Not only the 4-0 win, but the return of the King after that horrific injury. I was in the ground that day (North Stand) and I'd never heard (before or since) a more emotional response to a specific incident in a game.

jimharri said:
eversince 76 said:
Landed on your feet with that one. Not only the 4-0 win, but the return of the King after that horrific injury. I was in the ground that day (North Stand) and I'd never heard (before or since) a more emotional response to a specific incident in a game.

1st time in England, 1st visit to Maine Rd (I was under the dark roof of the Kippax, seeing nowt), and yes, what a roar with loads of grown men shedding a few tears. Never been to a chippy since ...

December 1979. Wolves. What a thrill to arrive in Moss Side and see the lights etc. Kippax. Andy Gray put them ahead. We never got going and lost 2-3. Michael Robinson (our star striker of the time) was out injured- as he seemed to be each time I went.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.