First Game, Traveling Down From Edinburgh (Football Tourist alert)

If I wasn’t moving house you could have parked on my driveway and got the v1 into town, piss easy from there, however I am but there’s a decent hotel on the east lancs Swinton with the very decent Albert’s pub/restaurant next door.
Get the v1/2 into town then either walk or tram to the ground.
However keep an eye on game movements around that time.

As others have said, it’s far from certain that the game will be played on Boxing Day.
There are two programmes of PL fixtures over Christmas, currently Thursday 26th and Sunday 29th. There are however no games scheduled for New Year’s Day (the next fixtures are on Saturday 4th) which means the games currently pencilled in for the 29th could end up being played over a few days up to and including the 1st. That then opens up the possibility of some Boxing Day games being played on the evening of Friday 27th or even on Saturday 28th.
Don’t book stuff that commits you to paying anything until dates/times are confirmed!

Last edited:
I've a couple of suggestions. As you're travelling down from Scotland, there's the Premier Inn at Prestwich, just off J17 of the M60. Premier Inns are always decent, plus there's free parking, a TGI Friday next door, plus the many bars, cafes and restaurants of Prestwich Village just a few minutes walk away. You could get the tram, or there are car parks on Bradford Road and other places just to the north side of the stadium. They'll usually cost £10 but are relatively easy to get away from.

There's also a Holiday Inn Express on Oldham Road, by Grimshaw Lane, which is about half an hour's walk to the stadium. There's not much in the way of food round there but it's only a short hop into the city centre. That hotel was part-owned by Peter Barnes (might still be) but it seems to be shut at the moment and you can't seem to book till January 2025.

I've a couple of suggestions. As you're travelling down from Scotland, there's the Premier Inn at Prestwich, just off J17 of the M60. Premier Inns are always decent, plus there's free parking, a TGI Friday next door, plus the many bars, cafes and restaurants of Prestwich Village just a few minutes walk away. You could get the tram, or there are car parks on Bradford Road and other places just to the north side of the stadium. They'll usually cost £10 but are relatively easy to get away from.

There's also a Holiday Inn Express on Oldham Road, by Grimshaw Lane, which is about half an hour's walk to the stadium. There's not much in the way of food round there but it's only a short hop into the city centre. That hotel was part-owned by Peter Barnes (might still be) but it seems to be shut at the moment and you can't seem to book till January 2025.
Think it's got asylum seekers in or did?

For tickets, if it does stay on Boxing Day there’ll be loads of out of town seasoncard holders who won’t make it as there’ll be no trains. Might be better to buy memberships for everyone going and look out for returns or the ticket exchange on here

In your situation I’d just go with a hotel on booking.com with free cancellation, the Leonardo is currently £70 which is one of the closest, the motel one in St Peter’s square is £75, has car parking nearby, and direct trams to the Etihad 50yds away, loads of eating/drinking places really close & in the heart of the City

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.