First Game

First game of the 1971-72 season against Leeds. Apparently we got beat 0-1. I don't remember the game at all, but do remember the excitement on the Friday night when I was told I was going and not being able to sleep because of it. I was nearly 5 at the time. Looking back, I always thought that was a bit old for a first game and my lads were going well before that age.
Was that the game when we absolutely battered them, (Jack Charlton, despite clearly fouling Mike Doyle in the process, heading home what was virtually their only chance from a corner) with Sprake, despite having his usual absolute blunderfest in goal, somehow managing to keep a clean sheet?

Was that the game when we absolutely battered them, (Jack Charlton, despite clearly fouling Mike Doyle in the process, heading home what was virtually their only chance from a corner) with Sprake, despite having his usual absolute blunderfest in goal, somehow managing to keep a clean sheet?
Yes, we could/should have won 3 or 4-0 that day, Franny Lee missed a couple of great chances. Leeds were at default setting, kicking everything above grass level, with Norman Hunter particularly lucky not to get sent off for two crunchers. I was on the Kippax with VIth form pals from school, one of whom had brought his elder cousin who was visiting from Newcastle that weekend.. he was even more apoplectic than we were with Leeds’s dirty play, especially Hunter.. after watching it for half an hour or so, he bellowed down the Kippax in the broadest of Geordie accents ‘I f***ing hate you Hunter and I’m a Geordie myself, man!’.. cue everyone around collapsing with laughter! Leeds got away with murder in those days..

Liverpool home 1977. Cold wet night. 1-1 Asa for us I think. Sat in platt Lane, what a sight a packed Kippax was. Remember being disappointed that Keegan wasn't playing!

City Crewe at Maine Road in about 2000/2001, think it was 3-2, don't remember much from it, only time I went to Maine Rd, next game was Wigan at Eastlands in about 2004

City home loss to Shrewsbury in 1988 (it was a Christmas gift from my Uncle, may he rest in peace).

I was very young so the only thing I remember, aside from being really disappointed with the result, was thinking that our forward (Varadi) had an odd way of running. To this day, any time I see a person running in a strange way I think back to that day.

Raheem used to cause constant flashbacks.

City v Everton Oct 1985 in the Main stand. 1-1 draw. Paul Power was captain. Everton had a great team then having just won the European Cup Winners Cup that year. Still have the programme and match ticket. 2nd game was in North stand FA cup Jan 1986 v Watford again 1-1 draw. Thought their young winger looked a good prospect....John Barnes.

August 1969 v Wednesday, 4-1 win.
Followed by spending tens of thousands of pounds over the years on mainly disappointment.
Wouldn't change a thing!

Bert Trautman testimonial 1964 as an 8 year old. I was hooked and contrary to the wishes and expectations of my entirely Rag family have been a City fan ever since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.