First game....

Leeds at Maine Road November 1977. We got beat 3-2 but i was addicted as soon as i got to the top of the steps,
entered the Kippax and saw that massive green pitch through the sea of thousands of people.
Sat on the wall at the front of the kippax and watched my idols in the flesh. Can still smell the heady mix of beer, tobacco and burger vans. The floodlights towers looked massive to me as i looked around the stadium in awe.
Born that moment was another life long blue

Does anyone have any footage of the North stand with fans stood up in it , hopefully when a goal goes in, never seen any not even a photo ?
Someone must have something !
On YouTube November 71/72 season City 3 Rags 3,I was stood in the North stand that day the last 63,000 crowd at Maine rd seats put in following season,capacity then 54,000.

On YouTube November 71/72 season City 3 Rags 3,I was stood in the North stand that day the last 63,000 crowd at Maine rd seats put in following season,capacity then 54,000.
Cheers mate.....seems to be full of rags in that particular game, I was hoping to see something different ..oh well

A few more from that season.

Brilliant thanks, cant help wondering what it would be like to return to standing on the terraces especially behind our North stand goal, I really think it would make a big difference to the atmosphere to the Etihad and fans attitude to attending matches etc

Early 70's aged 7 or 8, home to WHU (I think), lost (of course) 3-1, seem to remember us conceding from a corner but the rest is a dim and distant memory

first night match, same season but I can't recall any details other than being completely mesmerised by the ground as I emerged from the bowels of the Kippax into the floodlit arena, an image that's stuck with me. Thanks Dad, RIP

My first ever live game was actually at the swamp in Jan 74. My dad wasn't really in to football but took us to the local team playing at home that week (rags). 1 -1 draw and a crap game. Couple of weeks later took us to City vs Derby sat on the benches in the platt lane. Won 1 nil but much better game....hooked ever since!

March 99 I think. Lost 2-1 at home to Oldham. Thankfully I'd followed city for a few years by then because I'd have definitely binned them off after watching that.

Dad drove me and my brother up from Eastbourne and we stayed the night at my uncles in Hyde. Got the train in to town and walked to maine Road. We were by no means well off but fuck me walking through moss side was an eye opener. Think we went 2-0 down only for gareth Taylor to miss from the spot in 2nd half. Either horlock or pollock got the consolation goal. To top it off a bloke jumped out of the main stand and streaked accross the pitch.

On the bright side that was the game that turned my younger brother from a rag to one of gods own. Terrible game, good times

March 99 I think. Lost 2-1 at home to Oldham. Thankfully I'd followed city for a few years by then because I'd have definitely binned them off after watching that.

Dad drove me and my brother up from Eastbourne and we stayed the night at my uncles in Hyde. Got the train in to town and walked to maine Road. We were by no means well off but fuck me walking through moss side was an eye opener. Think we went 2-0 down only for gareth Taylor to miss from the spot in 2nd half. Either horlock or pollock got the consolation goal. To top it off a bloke jumped out of the main stand and streaked accross the pitch.

On the bright side that was the game that turned my younger brother from a rag to one of gods own. Terrible game, good times
remember that streaker,goalie was about to take goal kick in North stand end,he pushed him out of the way...twatted the ball in the net then ran like fuck the full length of the pitch pmsl

That was the game when automatic promotion from the second division became basically impossible and we knew it was the playoffs. We were on a long unbeaten run before it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.