First game....

1978 - a 1-1 draw with Derby County. Next door neighbour took me as my parents had no interest in football. He parked up near the ground having given 50p to some of the local kids to mind the car (anyone on here owning up to that scam?) and we walked the erst of the way. I remember how big and noisy it seemed (I lived out in a quiet village at the time) and I missed our goal as everyone stood up in unison and, being a 10 year old shortarse at the time, I couldn't see! Fortunately I've seen a fair few since.

I think it was Reading in the cup around 92/93. I must have been four at the time.

Vague recollections of my Dad holding me up to the Kippax railings so I could see...

What was it like on the kippax back in the day? I wish I could travel back in time and experience city matches in the 60/70/80’s
It was bloody horrible unless you were over six foot tall. The sight lines were very poor and the toilets were bad.

The best atmosphere for me was in the North Stand before they put the seats in. I think it was only standing for one season.

It was bloody horrible unless you were over six foot tall. The sight lines were very poor and the toilets were bad.

The best atmosphere for me was in the North Stand before they put the seats in. I think it was only standing for one season.
Does anyone have any footage of the North stand with fans stood up in it , hopefully when a goal goes in, never seen any not even a photo ?
Someone must have something !

Didn't know there was a "South Stand" at MR. That was the Platt Lane

Yeah, i think they 'cocked up' with saying it was the South Stand ..... it did go through a short period of being known as the 'Umbro Stand' though apparently!, and i can recall sitting in there for a while whist the new Kippax Stand was built.
That would have been around the time that Brian Horton was here.

Regeneration​

By 1990, some areas of the ground looked antiquated, and the Platt Lane stand was demolished in 1992. Its place was taken by the all-seater Umbro Stand that also incorporated executive boxes, and was opened in March 1993. The stand was renamed back to the Platt Lane Stand in the late 1990s.

Last edited:
1978 - a 1-1 draw with Derby County. Next door neighbour took me as my parents had no interest in football. He parked up near the ground having given 50p to some of the local kids to mind the car (anyone on here owning up to that scam?) and we walked the erst of the way. I remember how big and noisy it seemed (I lived out in a quiet village at the time) and I missed our goal as everyone stood up in unison and, being a 10 year old shortarse at the time, I couldn't see! Fortunately I've seen a fair few since.
Yeah I was a mind your car scally , I actually used the money to pay into the game though . When I met Bert trautman in town when he was signing his book he was asking everybody one by one where they were from , when I eventually got to speak to him he asked & I told him I was from Rusholme & used to mind the cars for money which made him laugh , I said I used to go under or over the turnstiles to watch City when I was younger , he recounted that as a small child he used to do the same to watch Werder Bremen before the war . A lovely man & yes .. he had hands like shovels , he signed my book & died not too long after .

I think I only saw one goal in that game cos the Kippax was that full it was hard to see as a 14 year old. I do recall being literally carried off my feet on the way out of the ground down the steps until I got to the concourse

Yep, that humdinger of a match against Charlton was quite some game , and turned out to be quite some day!

charlton-home-1984-to-85-phillips-goal-1024x547.jpgcharlton-home-1984-to-85-simpson-goal-4-0-851x1024.jpgcharlton-home-1984-to-85-fans-celebrate3-782x1024.jpgcharlton-home-1984-to-85-eddie-large2-859x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.