Fish And Chips

dronefromsector7g said:
paphos-mcfc said:
urmston said:
I love fish and chips and I love beer.

But together?

No. Never.

The proper drink with fish and chips is tea.

That depends if you like drinking hot tea in 35c heat
Yes. It helps cool you down as well.

Sorry the perfect drink for fish n chips is this :)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dandelion+and+burdock&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=59AE309E06856C609E0EBFE22EA086A581E58F0A&selectedIndex=143" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dan ... dIndex=143</a>

Nearly all Chip shops do not use vinegar. They use a chemical substitute diluted with water. I prefer it to vinegar. Should really have chips with salt and 'none brewed condiment' to be technically and trade description correct......

It's a bit out of the way - but the golden galleon in Aldeburgh , Suffolk.
The fish is brought up on boats 100 yards from the shop in the morning and is on your plate from lunchtime on .
The chips are cooked at restricted hours every day to keep them fresh .
Sounds fussy , but the results are sublime!!

Bump.

Rare I have fish and chips these days for two reasons. Very few decent chippies in the Greater Manchester area and the ones that are considered decent are mostly overpriced.

Best chippies are in Yorkshire because most serve fresh fish and cook their chips in beef dripping. I watch quite a few youtube vloggers and this guy (Gary Eats) visited Murgatroyds fish and chip restaurant at Yeadon (just north of Bradford) a few months back and the other week I had a craving for some proper fish and chips so got in the car and drove there to try them out for myself.

Been 4 times now over the past month and first time I had the 'Billy Murgs special' which is an extra large haddock with a generous portion of chips peas and 3 slices of bread and butter with tea or coffee. The fish was huge and must have weighed about a pound. The crispy batter encased a fresh and delicious haddock fillet and the chips were well fried from quality spuds. I struggled to finish it but I ate the fish and a left a few chips and a slice of bread. Decent value at 20.95 I thought but excellent quality, and that's the main thing.

Next time I went I noticed the senior citizens(over 60) 3 course special priced at a bargain £15.50. I had the haddock again but it was nowhere near as big as a Billy Murgs but still bigger than the average size chiply fish and the chips were a smallish portion but that was OK as I had 3 slices of bread to fill me up. For starters I had a prawn cocktail which had lots of north Atlantic prawns in but it was a £2.50 supplement I didn't mind paying extra for but there's a few other options that are included in the price, think I'll try the battered mushrooms next time with salads and garlic mayo. I think they make all their own deserts and I had cheesecake with cream which I enjoyed. I drink tea and it came in a teapot for 2 with another teapot of boiling water, enough for 4 cups!

I really recommend Murgatroyds because of the quality and reasonable prices and it's definitely worth a drive out to but it gets busy at peak times, although they take telephone table reservations.

Last edited:
Been a couple of years now. I had thought pescatarian but I’ve just not eaten fish since I converted to a veggie diet.

I used to prefer scampi to cod but I’d have either, chips and mushy peas. Tartare sauce with the fish and salt and vinegar on the chips.

Last time I was in Blackpool there were queues everywhere for chips.

Mr & Mrs Scoffin’s chippy Cambridge Street Ashton under Lyne, always a queue on a Friday night. Scraps on the side! Great name for a chippy owner.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.