Foden video

I am half Iraqi. I am interested in which clubs Asians support. When I first started going to City, school was difficult but I liked being part of Manchester City. I have always felt accepted at City. There's only been the odd time when City fans have p'ssed me off. Once at Bradford in Joe Royle's season in the Premier League, and when some fans used to shout Fenian bastards at any Irish players but they were always tiny in number.

I travel by train a lot between Manchester and Leeds and I have noticed on a match night at Old Trafford there are very large numbers of Asian fans from the Leeds area who travel to support Utd. Recently when a load of trains were cancelled, on the night City played Sporting, and Utd were at home to Brighton, I got the stopping train back to Manchester and it was packed with Asian Utd fans. I asked the group at my table why they didn't support Leeds, and they said it was because Leeds are racist. I have no experience of that but I thought it was interesting. Leeds is very segregated. The only place you see white and Asian together is in student areas. Yorkshire reminds me a lot of Lancashire. Mill towns, and Asian families settling there to work as cheap labour and now of course there's no work. Asian way out is colleges, and trades like pharmacy.

City have never ever been a racist club. In fact just the opposite. I doubt many football clubs would have accepted a German paratrooper immediately after the 2nd world war, and made him a hero. That just shows how decent most City fans are. Most people are decent, even racists. It's a poisonous idea but over the years I have made friends with many racists. They still love their Mum and Dad and their own. It's an idea, like the ideas in Bert's head when he joined the Brownshirts. He wasn't a bad man. There's no such thing. And yet I still want to punch the lights out of the kids who abused Phil and his Mum. How did they get like that? Probably lots of rubbish in this ramble.

I’m glad you feel at home watching City and I’m glad that your impression of the club is that it is an inclusive and friendly fanbase. I think that’s true too, but admittedly I am a white man from Manchester so I will be completely oblivious to a lot of the everyday prejudices other demographics face.

I am a season ticket holder in the south stand in all honesty I’ve never heard a single racist comment. If I did, I’d be calling out the idiot who made it, as would 99% of other Blues I’m sure.

"Foden did not have personal security alongside him at the event. City players are offered club security, although some prefer to hire personal bodyguards."

Perhaps next time he'll take the club up on their offer

From Jack Gaughan's article in the Mail
He should slip his mum a couple of quid to be security. Problem solved if she has a plastic armband on

I am half Iraqi. I am interested in which clubs Asians support. When I first started going to City, school was difficult but I liked being part of Manchester City. I have always felt accepted at City. There's only been the odd time when City fans have p'ssed me off. Once at Bradford in Joe Royle's season in the Premier League, and when some fans used to shout Fenian bastards at any Irish players but they were always tiny in number.

I travel by train a lot between Manchester and Leeds and I have noticed on a match night at Old Trafford there are very large numbers of Asian fans from the Leeds area who travel to support Utd. Recently when a load of trains were cancelled, on the night City played Sporting, and Utd were at home to Brighton, I got the stopping train back to Manchester and it was packed with Asian Utd fans. I asked the group at my table why they didn't support Leeds, and they said it was because Leeds are racist. I have no experience of that but I thought it was interesting. Leeds is very segregated. The only place you see white and Asian together is in student areas. Yorkshire reminds me a lot of Lancashire. Mill towns, and Asian families settling there to work as cheap labour and now of course there's no work. Asian way out is colleges, and trades like pharmacy.

City have never ever been a racist club. In fact just the opposite. I doubt many football clubs would have accepted a German paratrooper immediately after the 2nd world war, and made him a hero. That just shows how decent most City fans are. Most people are decent, even racists. It's a poisonous idea but over the years I have made friends with many racists. They still love their Mum and Dad and their own. It's an idea, like the ideas in Bert's head when he joined the Brownshirts. He wasn't a bad man. There's no such thing. And yet I still want to punch the lights out of the kids who abused Phil and his Mum. How did they get like that? Probably lots of rubbish in this ramble.
Great post.

I worked with an Iranian who was a United fan, so obviously I asked him why.

He said when in Iran he used to love Leeds United so he moved there when he fled in the 70s. He went to few Leeds games when he arrived but stopped going because of the racist abuse that he got. He decided to go to watch Manchester United instead, as he loved his football, and the experience was completely different. He felt accepted so started supporting them instead.

Shocking really but backs up your own experiences.

Great post.

I worked with an Iranian who was a United fan, so obviously I asked him why.

He said when in Iran he used to love Leeds United so he moved there when he fled in the 70s. He went to few Leeds games when he arrived but stopped going because of the racist abuse that he got. He decided to go to watch Manchester United instead, as he loved his football, and the experience was completely different. He felt accepted so started supporting them instead.

Shocking really but backs up your own experiences.
United the most racist club in the 70’s

United the most racist club in the 70’s
I don't agree with this. I think both Manchester clubs had a pretty good record of standing up to racists in the 70s. The National Front never got a foothold in the City of Manchester and both clubs had significant numbers of black and mixed-race fans in the 70s. I remember City and United joining forces to battle Leeds fans for example and also against Everton/Liverpool fans at the FA Cup replays. I have only ever seen isolated incidents of overt racism at City and even then it was quickly shouted down. The worst clubs for racism were Leeds, Chelsea, West Ham and Milwall. The Spurs fans were obnoxious in other ways but not Right Wing. That's my experience of growing up in South Manchester anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.