Food From Your Youth

When I was an inmate at the Chorlton Grammar Approved School and Facility for the Rehabilitation of Insane Teachers we had some really weird school dinners. One was fat with a few small pieces of beef (possibly) attached to it. Probably sold to Manchester CC by Louis Edwards. This came with the unique boiled potatoes peculiar to that place, the taste of which made me literally retch. What the fuck they did with those potatoes I will never know - perhaps they pissed on them - but I have never tasted anything like it before or since. I thank God for that mercy. For years after I would only eat chips. It took my wife to persuade me to try to eat mashed potatoes again, and I was astonished to find that normal mashed potatoes are actually lovely.

Not sure it’s had a mention yet, but I remember having Junket a milk based dessert back in my youth.

And a baked Alaska in the early 70s at a ‘do’.

Would eat baked Alaska again but not the junket which tastes as it sounds!

Not many people had fridges when I was a young child living in Moston. we didn't have one for some time. We had the "larder". So mum used to buy the food on the day to be eaten that same day. Mould would just be cut off.
And eaten... nothing wasted in our house. haha. My dad used to make me a fried cheese, ham, onion and tomato sauce sandwich for supper.

Coming from Manchester and having spent a few years in Bournemouth and now living in North Yorkshire I am still amazed its not normal to get a variety of pies, a steak and kidney pudding or even gravy in all chippies - In my youth a potato and meat pie chips peas and gravy with brown sauce sat in at Tommy's chippy in Middleton was a dream. Pudding chips and gravy on the way home from the pub was the perfect end to a night on the piss.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.