Food From Your Youth

Not many people had fridges when I was a young child living in Moston. we didn't have one for some time. We had the "larder". So mum used to buy the food on the day to be eaten that same day. Mould would just be cut off.
And eaten... nothing wasted in our house. haha. My dad used to make me a fried cheese, ham, onion and tomato sauce sandwich for supper.

I still do "use up nights " now - cobble together stuff from the fridge before its too late - my kids who are now in their 20's say it always kept them grounded.
Its funny coz when we discuss this they always tell me about their mates when they came around to our house were amazed to see a fridge full of stuff and a "help yourself" attitude to the fridge contents, crisps, fruit anything in the house. Now to my mind they were from "better off" families at the time - bigger houses - flashier cars etc - the family I was from were never that well off in the 60's and 70's but my dads work ethic was always to keep a roof over our heads and my mums was we would never go hungry.

I still do "use up nights " now - cobble together stuff from the fridge before its too late - my kids who are now in their 20's say it always kept them grounded.
Its funny coz when we discuss this they always tell me about their mates when they came around to our house were amazed to see a fridge full of stuff and a "help yourself" attitude to the fridge contents, crisps, fruit anything in the house. Now to my mind they were from "better off" families at the time - bigger houses - flashier cars etc - the family I was from were never that well off in the 60's and 70's but my dads work ethic was always to keep a roof over our heads and my mums was we would never go hungry.
I lived in Wythenshawe from 9 onwards and going round to mate's houses, you'd always get offered food. No matter how poor the families were. It was like a sharing attitude. you had to pretend to eat it and shove it down the back of the couch with all the other shite. haha.

I lived in Wythenshawe from 9 onwards and going round to mate's houses, you'd always get offered food. No matter how poor the families were. It was like a sharing attitude. you had to pretend to eat it and shove it down the back of the couch with all the other shite. haha.

I don't think any of my kids friends were genuinely hungry but when I hear the story about them seeing near empty fridges at home makes me sad. Who would put a BMW X5 on the drive rather than have your kids eat what they want and need when they want and need it? I suppose I'd like to live in a show home but would I want that over a meagre and unvaried diet for my children? No I was never that sort of Dad

Coming from Manchester and having spent a few years in Bournemouth and now living in North Yorkshire I am still amazed its not normal to get a variety of pies, a steak and kidney pudding or even gravy in all chippies - In my youth a potato and meat pie chips peas and gravy with brown sauce sat in at Tommy's chippy in Middleton was a dream. Pudding chips and gravy on the way home from the pub was the perfect end to a night on the piss.
Best chippy pudding and chips I've ever had were from the Wooden Spoon chippy opposite Ashton bus station. Home made steak n' kidney puddings, proper chips and lashings of minced beef gravy. I could just eat that now.

Best chippy pudding and chips I've ever had were from the Wooden Spoon chippy opposite Ashton bus station. Home made steak n' kidney puddings, proper chips and lashings of minced beef gravy. I could just eat that now.

I remember a pie shop near the corner of Kenyon Lane near where it met Oldham Road that did their own pies.... shut down years ago but I can tell you I have never eaten a finer pie - the pastry was sublime. They baked all through the day so dinner or tea you could buy a freshly baked meat and potato pie

I don't think any of my kids friends were genuinely hungry but when I hear the story about them seeing near empty fridges at home makes me sad. Who would put a BMW X5 on the drive rather than have your kids eat what they want and need when they want and need it? I suppose I'd like to live in a show home but would I want that over a meagre and unvaried diet for my children? No I was never that sort of Dad
Your post brings back memories of when i split up with my ex Mrs and she got with a fella with a posh M5 on the drive. They'd have a Chinese takeaway every Friday as a treat but my girls were only allowed chips. I was fuming and it caused a row with my ex. I made a point of regularly taking them to Chinatown and allowing them whatever they wanted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.