Football Leaks/Der Spiegel articles

We’ve spent almost the same as Liverpool since the premier league was formed, i know who spent their money the wisest.
I’d guess we’ve spent much less the the rags and Chelsea, but more than Arsenal and Spurs.

Those knobs bought Andy Carroll for a similar fee to us buying Kun. But of course that transfer like all things bad at the Dippers has been erased from history.

I have to be honest, I really would have preferred it if the club had just failed ffp back then by whatever amount it was and just publicly said "yeah, we failed it. We couldn't give a toss though as our long term plan is still the right one". Given PSG still would have failed by far more than we would have ever done and that we could always have gone to court about FFP in general had the punishment been too stringent, I'd rather we'd just have been honest.

Personally I've got two issues with us not doing that and what came out in the leaks. Firstly, it's detracted completely from the good press we were getting (and we were getting a fair bit of it) for our business model over the past few years and getting to a profitable place. I've read numerous articles about the CFG and how innovative we were actually being, and showing us in a particularly good light to other clubs stuck in old ways of working and mountains of debt.

The second bit is it has made me doubt that good news story about the road to profitability foo, in terms of it did make me wonder if those practices were just to try and get us to pass FFP that year or did they continue past that point. I really hope they didn't.

All of that is just an aside from the gist of this thread and I've never thought for a second that UEFA would do anything about it. They can't, the only thing they can possibly even try and investigate is the Mancini payments and even then they're on very dodgy ground.

I have to be honest, I really would have preferred it if the club had just failed ffp back then by whatever amount it was and just publicly said "yeah, we failed it. We couldn't give a toss though as our long term plan is still the right one". Given PSG still would have failed by far more than we would have ever done and that we could always have gone to court about FFP in general had the punishment been too stringent, I'd rather we'd just have been honest.

What, no mention of them changing the rules in the middle of the game to FORCE US into a violation?

You can feel disappointed in City for possibly “making it work,” but then never forget the reason City we’re forced into this. City, and more specifically Sheikh Mansour, have done EVERYTHING without lumping a single penny of debt on the club, while dither clubs have gone deep into debt, but as long as they service it, everything is cool?? This is a sole proprietor investing in his business, but it falls foul of some cooked up, save the status quo dinosaurs, new regulations??

I’ve said enough on this topic before, but if UEFA wants to go down the path to try to specifically harm us, I’m sure City have the goods to make them regret it...and will!

Last edited:
Ha ha, nicely played! Re the Oktoberfest, it coincided with Munich vs City in 2011 and was one of the best away trips I’ve ever been on. T-shirt weather as well.
Me and my mate went to the Oktoberfest the day after the game (as well as the day of the game) and it was possibly the most hammered I have ever been. We still talk about it today as one of the truly great days we’ve spent on the piss together - and there have been a few - fuck knows how we got home that evening - and as you say, great weather.

Me and my mate went to the Oktoberfest the day after the game (as well as the day of the game) and it was possibly the most hammered I have ever been. We still talk about it today as one of the truly great days we’ve spent on the piss together - and there have been a few - fuck knows how we got home that evening - and as you say, great weather.

I spent the afternoon in one of the big halls drinking those huge steins, with an oompah band going up on a balcony. Fantastic atmosphere. As a middle-aged gentleman, the number of strategic ‘piss’ stops I had to make en route to the ground was nobody’s business! Lokeren, Amsterdam and the first of our Barcelona trips were good as well, but you can’t beat massive beers, drunken singing, sunshine and a funfair on an away day! All good natured as well. No knob ends. Pity City were crap though.....

What, no mention of them changing the rules in the middle of the game to FORCE US into a violation?

You can feel disappointed in City for possibly “making it work,” but then never forget the reason City we’re forced into this. City, and more specifically Sheikh Mansour, have done EVVERYTHING without lumping a single penny of debt on th club, while dither clubs have gone deep into debt, but as long as they service it, everything is cool?? This is a sole proprietor investing in his business, but it falls foul of some cooked up, save the status quo dinosaurs, new regulations??

I’ve said enough on this topic before, but if UEFA wants to go down the path to try to specifically harm us, I’m sure City have the goods to make them regret it...and will!

I do agree with your first point with the caveat that we would have failed anyway.

I said I didn't agree with FFP and never have done. My point was I would have been upfront and honest about exactly what we were doing, failed anyway and carried on our (correct) path regardless.

Also makes you realise the amount of chemical crap in ours, given over there you don't get much of a hangover.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.