Footballs' Hardmen

Loads of expros talk about Mick Harford
Mick Harford and Tony Coton, Coton was/is a full on hard case, him and Harford were mates and were proper handy off the pitch as several gobby fans in pubs found out.

In the Kompany episode of Nedum Onuoha's podcast, Vinnie talks about Rooney running head first at full force into his jaw. Rooney asks if he's okay, clearly taking the piss and expecting him to be rattled. Vinnie acts like he doesn't know what he's talking about even though secretly it hurt like fuck.

That's what being hard is. Knee high challenges and squaring up to people for ninety minutes is just for overgrown children. Real tough guys don't have to set out to show everyone how tough they are.

Anyway, I used to think Thomas Gravesen was in the Keane/ Jones category but I think he was legitimately just extremely hyperactive, competitive and had zero attention span.

Saw this video posted the other day of former teammates talking about him. Apparently he makes his living now gambling in Vegas and playing Call of Duty. Seems pretty nice in interviews as well.

I remember George Best on Parkinson many years ago talking about hard men “Some people call them hard men, I call them dirty bastards”.

Anyone remember a goon named Ian Ure, who played for the Rags (and Arsenal I think). He was a complete thug.

Forgot Stuart Pearce, no nonesense but wow could he put in a hard clean tackle

Can't ever remember too many having a pop at big Duncan Disorderly.
Leathered a couple of dippers for robbing his house if i remember rightly.
So for that reason alone Big Dunc has to be up there.

Also remember a cracking hook by little Paul Walsh to spark John Bonds son out once in a game.
The bigger they are the harder they fall, hey Paul?

I went on a coaching course and was paired up with an ex-Hull City player who was around when Billy Whitehurst was there.

He told me some funny stories. Whitehurst wasn’t just a shit player who elbowed people, he was feared off the pitch by all around him.

Players like him and Jones wouldn’t get to play in the top league of English football based purely on them being nasty bastards. They must’ve been able to play as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.