Footballs' Hardmen

Im on a few ‘80s football’ FB groups and quite regularly topics are raised about hardmen and it makes me cringe.

shithouses like vinny jones and bilky whitehurst are lorded when in reality they were just shit footballers who kicked and elbowed people

jones in particular is built up to be some tough guy. He ended spurs’ gary stevens career with a totally cowardly attack whilst stevens was lay on the ground. Fashanu shattered gary mabbutts cheek bone too. Just total shit bags

hardmen? Mcmahon was a tough player who could play and give it out and take it. Zabba. Bryan robson. Souness. Etc etc

and even our very own david silva. Got the shit kicked out of him regular. Never moaned once. He was tough.

i played to a reasonable standard and the real tough guys would leave you black n blue without fouling u once and would shake your hand and have a pint with u after.
the gob shites who would run round shouting and yelling and hacking were just tramps
Duncan Ferguson at least managed to be a decent player as well as being batshit insane. Same with Tommy Gravesen, I loved him when he played for us. Absolute headcase that he was.

Should Petr Cech get a mention? He continued to play with a head injury that could have killed him.

Can't ever remember too many having a pop at big Duncan Disorderly.
Leathered a couple of dippers for robbing his house if i remember rightly.
So for that reason alone Big Dunc has to be up there.

Also remember a cracking hook by little Paul Walsh to spark John Bonds son out once in a game.
The bigger they are the harder they fall, hey Paul?
One for the Wednesdayite on here - you've just reminded me of Kevin Pressman, I'm not sure how true it is but he apparently chased down a car thief who robbed his Merc and crashed it, and held onto him until the police arrived. And he was a big mother at the time. He also had a Millwall fan come onto the pitch and threaten to murder him and if the photos are anything to go by, he wasn't remotely arsed about it.

Ferguson got burgled TWICE. And the first time, he put them both in hospital. The second time, he got stabbed but managed to defend himself. The first case got in the Darwin Awards as an Honourable Mention.

Duncan Ferguson at least managed to be a decent player as well as being batshit insane. Same with Tommy Gravesen, I loved him when he played for us. Absolute headcase that he was.

Should Petr Cech get a mention? He continued to play with a head injury that could have killed him.
Big dunc is one of my favourite non city players. Wouldve loved him signing for us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.