Footballs' Hardmen

Vidic and Zabaleta were no nonsense, willing to get busted open. Vidic and Kompany would throw any part of their body at any shot.

“Nick Nick Nick Nick Nicky Reid
Nicky Reid Nicky Reid..”

I believe Tony Coton was a handy ****.
I remember him smacking a few Notts County fans who invaded the pitch at full time at Meadow Lane when they beat us in the FA Cup iirc?
Funny as fuck!
Tony Coton , remember Loftus rd 3rd round think Whitey got a couple , in there end but got on pitch full time whistle where I proceeded to run towards big Tony. Got within 5 yards and made full eye contact with him I think you can safely say I shit myself and made a quick diversion to wonky vonky

Andy licked the end of Collymoron's nose, and received a second yellow for it.

Have you read his autobiography?

He is very frank and open about his problems with alcohol. It’s worth a read.
And if you dont want to read the whole autobiography...there is a good summary in the Morrison chapter of the book " looks like scunny next season" the story of the 1999 wembley Gillingham match..

Im on a few ‘80s football’ FB groups and quite regularly topics are raised about hardmen and it makes me cringe.

shithouses like vinny jones and bilky whitehurst are lorded when in reality they were just shit footballers who kicked and elbowed people

jones in particular is built up to be some tough guy. He ended spurs’ gary stevens career with a totally cowardly attack whilst stevens was lay on the ground. Fashanu shattered gary mabbutts cheek bone too. Just total shit bags

hardmen? Mcmahon was a tough player who could play and give it out and take it. Zabba. Bryan robson. Souness. Etc etc

and even our very own david silva. Got the shit kicked out of him regular. Never moaned once. He was tough.

i played to a reasonable standard and the real tough guys would leave you black n blue without fouling u once and would shake your hand and have a pint with u after.
the gob shites who would run round shouting and yelling and hacking were just tramps

Mark Dennis sprang to mind, sent off 12 times in his career, was a member of the 'Birmingham Six',

"Dennis soon became part of a notorious group at St. Andrews known as “The Birmingham Six”. It was a play on the phrase given to men who were wrongly accused of the IRA bombings of Birmingham in 1975. Mick Harford, Howard Gayle, Robert Hopkin, Pat van den Hauwe and Tony Coton all joined Dennis in various scrapes, often late at night around the city. The team was regarded as one of the hardest around, but unlike the circus at Plough Lane a few years later these boys were hard but fair and embraced the physical side of the game. It was a common held view if you kicked one of these men, they’d just kick you back, but harder. They were regularly seen in places such as Rum Runner, Peppermint Place and Mr Moons. They drank like fish, fought fans of rival teams, mixed it with taxi drivers, trashed cars and got run over by buses. Many players of the era when asked who the hardest player they ever came up against was would reply “what, you mean after Mick Harford?”

A young apprentice called Julian Dicks was also at the club so you get the idea of the sort of team they were. "

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.