Foreign Fans

My journey to being a City fan is very much a mix of what others have said in this thread. Oasis, parallels to my beloved White Sox, and a general fondness for everything about the club and the fans. I'm only 19 so I haven't been able to follow for too long but I plan to make it up as I follow the club for the rest of my life.

rohanthebest said:
When Stuart Pearce was our manager , I wasn't a follower of football( I am from india , 8 out of 10 watch cricket). But once Thaksin bought the club and Erikson took over , I just loved the way city played.I mean we had 9 home wins in a row. And we battled brilliantly against Liverpool in that draw at eastlands in 2007. That's when I started referring to city as ' We'.
I know that I am not like some of you, who have been life long supporters , but that's why I have a lot of respect for all you guys. I would give anything for that ' true blue ' feeling.

Mate you are a true Blue and don't let anyone say otherwise, you have to start somewhere, some people are born into a City supporting family, I am not (and I am from Manchester)

I played football since I was a boy and still play at 37 years old in a Sunday league. I followed the premier league from afar for awhile but religiously since 2003/2004 when I was able to see all the league games via satellite. In 2006 I selected City as my team of choice. I chose City because of the passionate supporter following through all the adversity and frustration, Claudio Reyna (don't flame me too hard for that one), the kit, the badge, and I've hated United from the beginning. I now love City for the club they were, club they are, and club they will be. Through thick and thin I'll be there (well...here in the US...but there in spirit) supporting our boys.

I'm a Manc and my husband is German. 6 years ago our 'dates' were arranged so we'd be home in time for MOTD - he had no affiliation with a club in Germany and by the end of the 2003 season he started to love City and he is now a devout blue. Last year he was presented with a City shirt by my family at our wedding as an official initiation.

My father in law watches City games on the tele every weekend (because of my husband) but he hasn't admitted yet that he's a fan even though last Sunday he did his nut over Fergiegate (and he also happens to own a city shirt). My father in law is a stubborn man :)

started supporting city in Mid 90's started with oasis and the light blue shirt and watching kinky run people ragged !!!!!Grew up in southwest scotland with loads of rag and scumpool fans that had never even been to england never mind a game. I remember being as proud as punch walking around school wearing the city home top with kinky on the back and being sent home for shool for wearing football tops !!

I moved to america for 5 years from 98 to 2003 but always watched for results and since 2004 i have been to at least 4 home game every season whilst pushing for at least 2 away games

Oh i am now living in county cork last over for celtic game next over for chelsea game

I'm from norway, and where I grew up everyone followed the scum or liverpool. The first thing I learned was to hate the scum, everything about that club was disgusting. And City was the shining bright light in the world, with their lovely colors and history. But don't get me wrong, it's not because of the hate for the scum I chose city.

I'm close to 30 so been following city since the 90's.

37 yo from northern Sweden.

A lot of people in Sweden have a special relationship with the Premier League, due to a TV show called "Tipsextra". It was broadcast every saturday from 1969 until 1995 and featured an english match every time (with exception for a few matches in the mid-eighties from West German Bundesliga). Since this was about all football that was shown, a lot of people prefer The Premiership over swedish top league Allsvenskan, and a lot of people have had their favourite teams for a long while.

I am one of those who always loved english league football, but never really connected to any team. However, when Sven-Göran Eriksson took charge of City, I just had to see what City fans had to say about it. I found mancityfans and bluemoon forums, and I was just blown away! The mentality of the fans and the club reminded me heavily of my swedish icehockeyteam Skellefteå AIK, and I fell instantly in love. Ever since I have been an almost daily reader of bluemoon, and I have seen as many games (on the telly and online) as I possibly could. I have also actually written 500:ish posts here, but a lot of them seems to have vanished into thin air.

So call me a bandwagon jumper if you like, but my football heart belongs to City now. My dream is to travel to Manchester, find a City pub and drink a couple of beers with some of you guys, and then going to the COMS and watching a match live. It will happen as soon as I can afford it!

I was brought as a kid to see City in a friendly against Shelbourne...had seen the rags the day before and didnt enjoy it at all.Got to the city game and it was like a carnival.Quinn,Peter Reid,Clive Allen,Steve Redmond etc signed autographs for an eternity....felt like Christmas...then Steve Redmon scored a classic goal...ran from his box,one two and then thumped it in.4-1

I've never looked back ;-)

Humlannitton said:
37 yo from northern Sweden.

A lot of people in Sweden have a special relationship with the Premier League, due to a TV show called "Tipsextra". It was broadcast every saturday from 1969 until 1995 and featured an english match every time (with exception for a few matches in the mid-eighties from West German Bundesliga). Since this was about all football that was shown, a lot of people prefer The Premiership over swedish top league Allsvenskan, and a lot of people have had their favourite teams for a long while.

I am one of those who always loved english league football, but never really connected to any team. However, when Sven-Göran Eriksson took charge of City, I just had to see what City fans had to say about it. I found mancityfans and bluemoon forums, and I was just blown away! The mentality of the fans and the club reminded me heavily of my swedish icehockeyteam Skellefteå AIK, and I fell instantly in love. Ever since I have been an almost daily reader of bluemoon, and I have seen as many games (on the telly and online) as I possibly could. I have also actually written 500:ish posts here, but a lot of them seems to have vanished into thin air.

So call me a bandwagon jumper if you like, but my football heart belongs to City now. My dream is to travel to Manchester, find a City pub and drink a couple of beers with some of you guys, and then going to the COMS and watching a match live. It will happen as soon as I can afford it!

Ouch, SAIK! Just kidding, don't mind them. I'm from Boden myself... though I'd be lying if I said I haven't been to a Luleå game or two, but I have no heart for them. :)

Personally I've just always hated United...at 22 I'm a bit too young to remember the 90's, but I think I hated them then too. :) Hated Ronaldo ever since about Euro 04 anyway. Plus I found out Oasis, one of my favorite bands, were big fans. Guess I got some illusion of City beign the antiunited, the good guys. Still have that in my head in fact. :) Anyway I started looking out for their results and it just grew and grew and grew. By the time of Pearce's last season I was a really big fan, despite us being absolute shite. :) Since then it's just grown I suppose. Because of Sven more games were shown on Swedish tv, at least it seemed so. I was defo there when we were shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.