Four day working

BAE here in Barrow have been doing this for years. In fact they promote it for vacancies

Many employees here don’t live here so are away from home during the week, so it made sense for BAE to offer this as an incentive to get people to join. They simply opened this up and offered it to everyone.
Not strictly true. Its dependant on which department and project youre on.
When i started up there last year, i wanted the 4 day week but because of the project i got put on, ended up working hybrid, 2 days in every 2 weeks, which i now prefer.

When I had a real job 20 years ago we worked four and a half days finishing at 12.00 on Fridays lots of companies do that round here still. Little got done in the three and half hours Friday morning,if those hours had been spread over the other 4 days they’d have been much more productive.

When I had a real job 20 years ago we worked four and a half days finishing at 12.00 on Fridays lots of companies do that round here still. Little got done in the three and half hours Friday morning,if those hours had been spread over the other 4 days they’d have been much more productive.
That makes sense.

I work in data so my role involves a lot of detail-oriented tasks and concentration which is mentally taxing. My week is supposed to be 40 hours but I've been tracking my time the last few months and it's been more like 48 hours. Add in commuting and it's 52-55 hours of me either working or travelling to/from work per week. On my office days I leave at 7am and get home at 7.45pm, and my health isn't perfect, so for me that's a really long day.

Therefore squeezing even more into 4 days would be a struggle and I'm pretty sure the quality and productivity of what I do would decrease massively at the end of those long days. It already tanks after about 4pm.

The only way I would change to a 4-day week is if it was actually 4 days. As in my contracted hours going down to 32 hours - would I take a 20% pay cut to make that happen? No, because I know I would still be expected to be "on call" on the day I'm not there but everybody else is.

Changed jobs early this year.
Work Thursday/Friday from home since January and absolutely love it.
Flexi time too.
Wife chooses when she goes into the office so she’s able to get all the housework done in the week in between working.
Weekends are great so condensed hours don’t really appeal.

My company already does the 4 day working week and it works really well....100% pay for 80% of the time.... We have been doing it now for 15 months

I have every Thursday off, but twice every 6 weeks I am on call to be brought in on my day off...there is a call list of about 7-8 people (for every day) and on one occasion you are on call you will be in the top half of this list (maybe at the very top at times) and sometimes you will be at the bottom of the list.....if they havent called you by 9am even if you are on the list then you ont get called in (the times I have been called in on my day off its always been around 7.45 Ive had the call so plenty of time to get to work on time anyway)

Everyone gets the 4 day working week from the staff at the very top to the staff at the very bottom.

Its definitely the way forward and productivity/performance at work stays the same and also at times improves.....everyone is happier.

I work in data so my role involves a lot of detail-oriented tasks and concentration which is mentally taxing. My week is supposed to be 40 hours but I've been tracking my time the last few months and it's been more like 48 hours. Add in commuting and it's 52-55 hours of me either working or travelling to/from work per week. On my office days I leave at 7am and get home at 7.45pm, and my health isn't perfect, so for me that's a really long day.

Therefore squeezing even more into 4 days would be a struggle and I'm pretty sure the quality and productivity of what I do would decrease massively at the end of those long days. It already tanks after about 4pm.

The only way I would change to a 4-day week is if it was actually 4 days. As in my contracted hours going down to 32 hours - would I take a 20% pay cut to make that happen? No, because I know I would still be expected to be "on call" on the day I'm not there but everybody else is.
In the nicest possible way, it sounds like your issues go deeper than when your hours are being done.

Sounds like you're fucking knackered regardless of when you do the hours.

Tell your employer and get them to get some more fucking resources in; unless your hourly paid of course!

In the nicest possible way, it sounds like your issues go deeper than when your hours are being done.

Sounds like you're fucking knackered regardless of when you do the hours.

Tell your employer and get them to get some more fucking resources in; unless your hourly paid of course!

Well you're not wrong, it is fucking knackering! That said, despite it sounding a bit brutal, I do actually like my job.

I am well paid but my compensation is ultimately tied pretty tightly to my actual output, I basically run my own sub-business within the group but it's very new and I'm building it from the ground up. So it's not that different in my mind to being an hourly worker, I get out what I put in - and the rewards are pretty good. The potential rewards of getting it right in 5-10 years are even better so my time should more than pay for itself.

You're right about the resources though and I have somebody new starting on Monday which will hopefully help me start delegating a bit more stuff out going forward.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.