Francis Lee RIP

A friend of mine, a good blue, from handforth died in his early twenties. This was in the eighties. His Dad worked on the ‘Pink Final’ van outside Maine Road. Franny went to the funeral, unexpected and mainly unnoticed, and asked the father if it would be ok to put a pair of his boots that he wore at City in the ground with the young man.
It meant a lot. Not often does a childhood hero excel your expectations later in life. Rest in Peace Francis.

My first ever game Sat 21st Nov 1970 at Maine Road City played West Ham, we won 2-0 and Lee scored them both.
Thank you Franny I will never forget it, may you rest in peace xx

CTID

In the early nineties when Franny was training racehorses I got a tip for one of his. Marching into the bookies I put sufficient money down that the cashier had to make a phone call before my bet was accepted. I then watched horrified as the horse threw the jockey while cantering to the start, then continued running for about 6 furlongs. I assumed the horse would be withdrawn but to my surprise it was brought back to the start went in the stalls and lost by a short head.
As it was Franny I got over it soon enough. He'd taught me a lesson and I never had a sizeable bet again. Saved me a fortune.

Wonderful player. RIP

Got my nickname in 76 after a true great city LEGEND. RIP Franny and my condolences too all his love ones

I was born in 1959, he was my footballing hero. I’m deeply saddened at his passing.
All I ever wanted to be, was him.
RIP Francis Lee CBE
Born same year Lev’s
Sad day to see Franny go, he was blue through and through, and loved our great club!
RIP Francis
I’ll miss you for sure but I also have some fantastic memories so thank you sir !

Won tickets to tunnel club a few years ago. When me and my mate were stood in the main entrance waiting to have our passes checked i turned around and there right behind me were the king buzzer and franny. I couldn’t believe it! I was already buzzing but being stood next to those three absolute legends! I’ll never ever forget that day. RIP franny

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.