Francis Lee RIP

You were a winger Franny, just a winger. Then some manager put you at centre forward. I remember thinking what a silly decision that was because you were too small. On that wintry Wednesday night, in the cup, you ran Newcastle ragged. I think we won 1-0, you scored that one goal and you were substituted before full time. Few had an answer to your rapid acceleration and your strength, you were not easily pushed off the ball - perfect centre forward material in fact!
Thanks for the wonderful memories Franny and RIP.

Rip Franny, a true City legend, unfortunately due to age I don't remember that much of his playing time for us, that and my pure love for King Colin.
I do remember him coming back with Derby when he scored that peach of a goal, and I'm convinced the Kippax started singing, you're a womble, you're a womble, you're a womble Franny Lee, what a shit song.
Slept well Franny.

He didn’t sack Colin.

Nijinsky's superior wanted a change of staff, and Frannie felt he had to back him, rather than Colin.

It was a very sad situation, and one I wish had never occurred, as do many others, I’m sure.

Buzzer tried repeatedly to reconcile them, but failed, as far as I know.

Last I knew, they never spoke again to each other, but happy to stand corrected.

That was always my take on it. Lee was getting stick for interfering and for having too many old boys around. The new manager wanted his own people so in a way it was a no win situation for Franny. Obviously we weren’t to know at the time just how shite the new manager would turn out to be. A real shame if Lee and Bell never sorted out their differences after.
Also, it gets largely forgotten about now but there were huge signs of progress when Frank Clark first became our manager halfway through the 96/97 season. We finished mid-table but had been in a far more perilous position than that when he was appointed, and as such there was a lot of optimism ahead of the following season. From what I can remember, the sacking of King Colin was right at the back end of that 96/97 season and I don't recall there being a a great deal of uproar amongst the fans about it. It came as a bit of a shock for sure but we all soon got over it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.