Franny Lee The Chairman

Blue Train said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
Blue Train said:
Franny saved our club from oblivion. He was handed the wheel of the Titanic five minutes before it was due to hit the iceberg at full speed, and idiots still blame him for the hull damage.

He turned this club around after Swales's two decades of mismanagement and got us back on the road to the top. People will always associate him with the mad scramble for the lifeboats and ful scale panic, but he kept the ship intact and made sure we could repair the damage.

We've only just recovered from what Swales did to us.
I partly agree that Swales mismanaged the club, but the blame for bringing the worst professional manager in the history of the modern English game lays solely at his feet.

This is harsh. It's easy to slag off Ball but there are far worse managers out there (Brian Robson, anyone?) and we were relegated under Ball on goal difference. He actually had us playing some attractive football, particularly in the FA Cup game against the rags when we played them off the park until the ref handed them the worst penalty decision in FA Cup history.

Franny Lee turned our club around financially after Swales ran it into the ground. And that's a fact.

really? check out his management record it makes Robson seem steller.
As manager of Stoke took them to their lowest ever legue postion
Exeter into the bottom flight(then out of the league after leaving)
Blackpool into the bottom flight(div 4 for the first time)
Also took City and Portsmouth down(after bringing them up)

Don't forget also that this is the genius that had the side waste time in the last 10mins of the final game to get a draw when we needed a win to stay up!

Blue Train said:
He actually had us playing some attractive football, particularly in the FA Cup game against the rags when we played them off the park until the ref handed them the worst penalty decision in FA Cup history.

this has got to be a joke. what attractive football are you talking about.

I bet if people were honest, you'd find out of everyone who was around at the time, about 90% supported the "Forward With Franny" campaign. If you asked them now, I bet the same figure would think they wished they hadn't. Franny Lee was a fucking disaster as chairman, if only for bringing in our worst ever manager.

I freely admit, I was at the Ipswich game(I think it was)when he came out for the first time as chairman, and they played the song "the only way is up"! It was such a hopeful day, for those fans that wheren't around then it was very much like the Chelsea game this season.

warpig said:
Blue Train said:
He actually had us playing some attractive football, particularly in the FA Cup game against the rags when we played them off the park until the ref handed them the worst penalty decision in FA Cup history.

this has got to be a joke. what attractive football are you talking about.

We did play attractive football that season, but that was only because of one player in particular.

Even with one of the best footballers I've ever seen playing for him, Ball still couldn't keep us up. RIP Bally, but he really was an absolute embarrassment to our club.

I freely admit, I was at the Ipswich game(I think it was)when he came out for the first time as chairman, and they played the song "the only way is up"! It was such a hopeful day, for those fans that wheren't around then it was very much like the Chelsea game this season.

I still have flashbacks when I hear this song, it was not a good era to start supporting City.

dannybcity said:

I still have flashbacks when I hear this song, it was not a good era to start supporting City.
I know, I break into cold sweats everytime I hear it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.