French politics | Macron calls shock GE

Finally, the turnout was not as high as projected at 18.00. 34% did not bother to vote either way. Quite a lot, if you think about it. Although still more voted than in 2022.
All parties have got two days to decide what their alliances are, and where they are standing down, and give their formal decision to the « préfecture » of the « département » by Tuesday evening. This is all being done in a hurry, I have to say, because the next round is next weekend.
Macron's poker play really backfired on him.

It seems like the markets have rebounded a bit on the notion that the RN doesn’t seem likely to have a path to a majority?

They currently lead in 297 seats, and I think need 289 to form a majority. Which means they need to hold onto virtually all of what they have gained in the face of drop-outs and tactical non-competes. I think you may see a fair amount of people switch to stop them in the second round (I hope, at least). I just can’t see them keeping their leads in some places where the vote is badly split between Ensemble and NFP. Many only require a small proportion of voters to flip.

It’s a worrying turn of events though all the same. A far right party having this much popular support is bad, even if ultimately they to out to be unsuccessful.

Anti far right demos taking place after the first round of results.

To be fair le French will protest about anything.

Along with a three hour lunch break of wine and a wheel of cheese followed by a snooze until it’s time to clock off at 4, a day off work to go on a protest is the national pastime isn’t it.

It just goes to show that they all see the issues with the status quo, they just have vastly differing perspectives on how to solve for it. So many have gone left (nearly half) and another chunk have gone right.

I think history tells us that the polarisation of a youth that are demanding change is quite common.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.