French politics | Macron calls shock GE

I'm not sure that is the general trajectory really. The far right is clearly on the rise pretty much everywhere and it will probably take economic good times, a redistribution of wealth or distraction by a global conflict to reverse it at this point.
For now it’s a good thing to keep the right in their box.
It’s still not going away but this week has been a good week.
If the US follow suit in November the world will have at least another 4 years before Armageddon.

And breathe…
Huge sense of relief tonight. Not euphoria. Relief.

The far right have now been around for thirty-five years and then some. They're not going away. Believe it. Those people on the left and the centre who are responsible must — MUST, and it's now a question of urgency — address the issues that lead people to vote like this.

I'm not sure that is the general trajectory really. The far right is clearly on the rise pretty much everywhere and it will probably take economic good times, a redistribution of wealth or distraction by a global conflict to reverse it at this point.

It does seem that way but in many countries the centrists and progressives do outnumber the far right and the french have shown it's possible to coordinate and push back on them. Taking any opportunity to face down the far right before it becomes too powerful is the responsibility of us all. You are right though, the most effective way to neutralise them is through the creation of opportunities for a better life and greater equality.

Last edited:
I quite like idea of having a 'second' go at elections! We should have done that with Brexit. With it being so close another vote might have swung it back again! Gives the electorate a chance to 'sober up'!

A bit like when you flip a coin to decide where you're going for dinner, and then when the result lands on one of the two options and you're instinctively disappointed, you change to the other option and stick with it.

I quite like idea of having a 'second' go at elections! We should have done that with Brexit. With it being so close another vote might have swung it back again! Gives the electorate a chance to 'sober up'!

Imagine if everyone was forced to vote? The major demographic that doesn't vote is the working poor I wonder who they would vote in?

I wonder why Labour and the Tories wouldn't want a law forcing everyone to vote?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.