French politics | Macron calls shock GE

Sadly predictable that social media is awash with far right goons claiming the second round of voting was rigged. Straight out of Trump's playbook. Either I win or it's rigged.
This last few days my twitter feed has been full of right wing racist shit claiming the French election was rigged, Reform propaganda or users posting shite with "Yaxley Lennon" in their name

Congratulations to the French people, came to their senses at the last minute.

Weeelll… to put some factual perspective on this: in the 2022 legislative elections, a mere two years ago, the Rassemblement National got 89 seats. Almost 4,250,000 people voted for them. This morning, the RN have increased that to 143 seats. One week ago, an estimated 10,000,000 French men and women voted for them. That did not change yesterday. Approximately the same number. They're not going away.

What changed was that the mutual standing-down agreement in three-cornered contests worked pretty well. According to national radio, an estimated 70% of left-wing voters voted for the centrist/centre-right candidate (when they chose to vote — I'm going out to buy the paper shortly, I'm very curious to see what the level of absention was everywhere); they played the game, by and large. 50% of centrist/centre-right voters voted for the left-wing candidate, so they played the game. Not as much as they could have, but honestly a fair bit more than I expected from them. Also — but again, I need to see the figures — a week ago approximately 34% of all voters enrolled on the register did not bother to go down to the polling station. In many parts of France (including the one I'm in) that was as high as 40%. I would imagine that a number of those people woke up.

The political pundits are saying, well , there's no overall majority (and concluding from it that France will be ungovernable). But that, for good or for ill, is what the French people wanted, and that's what they've chosen. France will be ungovernable if there's no sense of compromise. There's going to have to be a lot of sitting down around tables and thrashing things out, for weeks, possibly months.

Nobody should be playing the Billy-big-bollocks this morning. Unfortunately, some are. We'll see…

Weeelll… to put some factual perspective on this: in the 2022 legislative elections, a mere two years ago, the Rassemblement National got 89 seats. Almost 4,250,000 people voted for them. This morning, the RN have increased that to 143 seats. One week ago, an estimated 10,000,000 French men and women voted for them. That did not change yesterday. Approximately the same number. They're not going away.

What changed was that the mutual standing-down agreement in three-cornered contests worked pretty well. According to national radio, an estimated 70% of left-wing voters voted for the centrist/centre-right candidate (when they chose to vote — I'm going out to buy the paper shortly, I'm very curious to see what the level of absention was everywhere); they played the game, by and large. 50% of centrist/centre-right voters voted for the left-wing candidate, so they played the game. Not as much as they could have, but honestly a fair bit more than I expected from them. Also — but again, I need to see the figures — a week ago approximately 34% of all voters enrolled on the register did not bother to go down to the polling station. In many parts of France (including the one I'm in) that was as high as 40%. I would imagine that a number of those people woke up.

The political pundits are saying, well , there's no overall majority (and concluding from it that France will be ungovernable). But that, for good or for ill, is what the French people wanted, and that's what they've chosen. France will be ungovernable if there's no sense of compromise. There's going to have to be a lot of sitting down around tables and thrashing things out, for weeks, possibly months.

Nobody should be playing the Billy-big-bollocks this morning. Unfortunately, some are. We'll see…

When you are expecting to lose sometimes a draw should be celebrated like a win.

When you are expecting to lose sometimes a draw should be celebrated like a win.
Where have we heard that one before?

2F58A7CE00000578-0-image-a-36_1450091263365.jpg

You mean like this?

I don't recall her failing to concede defeat or inciting an attack on the Capitol.

I do, however, recall FBI Director James Comey publicly announcing a new investigation into Hillary 11 days before the 2016 election. He was found to have breached Department of Justice guidelines and precedent and prejudiced the electorate against her. This received more media coverage than any other subject during the campaign and is widely considered to have cost her the election.

In his book "A Higher Loyalty" Comey admitted his decision "may" have been unconsciously influenced by the fact he believed Hillary would win the election. (Of course it was).

The investigation was quietly dropped after Trump took office.

Now that's what I call election interference.

France has always had a small extreme right & left but now it seems to have a large extreme right & left . Centrists are going to have to make a decision which to support to form a government ,not an easy choice as they will be dammed either way and will probably not last more than a few months

I don't recall her failing to concede defeat or inciting an attack on the Capitol.

I do, however, recall FBI Director James Comey publicly announcing a new investigation into Hillary 11 days before the 2016 election. He was found to have breached Department of Justice guidelines and precedent and prejudiced the electorate against her. This received more media coverage than any other subject during the campaign and is widely considered to have cost her the election.

In his book "A Higher Loyalty" Comey admitted his decision "may" have been unconsciously influenced by the fact he believed Hillary would win the election. (Of course it was).

The investigation was quietly dropped after Trump took office.

Now that's what I call election interference.

Nope the discussion was about a reluctance to admit defeat, Clinton most certainly did that. It's not degrees of denial it's denial. She claims she was robbed.

Nope the discussion was about a reluctance to admit defeat, Clinton most certainly did that. It's not degrees of denial it's denial. She claims she was robbed.
The election was held on 8th November. She conceded defeat the following day.

Trump, on the other hand, continues to lie the 2020 election was stolen and has still not conceded almost 4 years later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.