Friendlies - what have we found out?

simon23 said:
We have found out that tinkering with a defense that has had the best league record in the past few seasons isn't a good idea.....don't mend something that isn't broken......concentrate on the parts that do need improving

bingo.

simon23 said:
We have found out that tinkering with a defense that has had the best league record in the past few seasons isn't a good idea.....don't mend something that isn't broken......concentrate on the parts that do need improving
It is important that in order for constructive criticism to be taken seriously by native speakers of the English language that defence is spelled correctly.

simon23 said:

Too simplistic, any defence left unprotected is going to concede goals

Mancini sat his teams up to protect the back 4, Pellegrini is more open- we are going to concede more goals.

Loads of comments on the Arsenal game saying it's only a friendly, we controlled the game etc but we are going to be more open to counter-attack so the result isn't surprising and hopefully will help MP get the balance he's looking for.

The match day thread is pathetic. Massive over reaction. We were playing a top team that was unchanged from a great end of season run. We were still experimenting and dominated the match. Feel like I was watching a different match to most (no commentary- watching in Turkey). The overall lessons from the pre season matches seem to be:
We are going to be playing a pressing game
We are going to move the ball faster
The defence will be playing a higher line (do we now have the right defenders?)
Hart will need to improve his one on one choice making
The new guys have all shown touches of class
It will take time to settle the team

This season remains a big challenge. I am liking a lot of what I have seen going forward. If we are to win the title back then we need to be well positioned by end of January as our away matches on the run in are very tough. A good start is therefore essential. We are still well short of the fitness levels and defenders to carry through the new tactics. Hopefully this will come quickly and we can take advantage of a relatively easy first few matches.

Personally I'm quite encouraged by our pre-season.

As a new manager at the helm, it would have been pointless to just shove us up in the same old systems. MP has had to have a crash course in learning about our squad and the deficiencies and I trust he is smart enough to have worked out what needs improving.

He could have saved some time by just giving me a bell but hopefully he will now know that Lescott is too slow and needs replacing, AK and Garcia are wank, Nasri is a shithouse liability and Dzeko just isn't good enough.

Can't wait for next Monday, we are going to be awesome.

Rammy Blue said:
Personally I'm quite encouraged by our pre-season.

As a new manager at the helm, it would have been pointless to just shove us up in the same old systems. MP has had to have a crash course in learning about our squad and the deficiencies and I trust he is smart enough to have worked out what needs improving.

He could have saved some time by just giving me a bell but hopefully he will now know that Lescott is too slow and needs replacing, AK and Garcia are wank, Nasri is a shithouse liability and Dzeko just isn't good enough.

Can't wait for next Monday, we are going to be awesome.

If that's true about Lescott then VK had better watch out, as the only player done for pace v Arsenal was Vincent.

The new system leaves the defence exposed & that requires a completely different type of defending than the kind required by Mancini. When Hughes attempted a similar tactic, the defence couldn't cope we continually shipped stupid goals, some very similar to the problems we saw with Clichy yesterday & Zaba last week, when the fullbacks lost their positions.

Just blaming individuals will not solve that, it will continue to happen unless it's sorted tactically.

That Negredo is looking like he was a piece of brilliant business. Very impressed with him so far, his technique, movement, strength and pace (which I thought he lacked) making him our most versatile striker.

I wonder how/if Alvaro can play together with Kun.

We seem to be extremely vulnerable immediately after opponents score - last three games conceded goals in quick succession (3, 2 & 2 eight goals) - maybe we try too hard to get a quick one back and we lose focus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.