Friendly v Jamaica

I lived in Moss Side at the time and it seemed like the majority of the Jamaica ‘fans’ were just locals with no interest in football whatsoever.

We were in the North Stand and were almost like the only football fans in sight. Kept bumping into women off our estate, dressed up like they were off to Carnival, greeting me like an old lost friend.
My mate who was a bit of a hooligan and thought it might be a decent fighting opportunity having no segregation, kept looking at me in total confusion. His brain just couldn’t compute with what the fuck was going on.

Weird night but good fun.
People just sat wherever they liked, & yes we were surrounded by non-footballing people just out for the occasion.

There was a row of old ladies in front of us, who paid zero attention to the match & just chatted, ate & drank all the way through. One was even doing her crochet! :-)

Loads of youngans were blazing weed to the left front of us, & the old dears kept telling them to stop blowing their stinking weed in their direction.

The police did fuck all & just left everyone to it. The Match was shit, so there was little else to do bar observing people thoroughly enjoying themselves, not watching football at Maine Road! Lol

Was that from just the players?
Loool.. Mate, it was like the whole ground were blazing away, eating mounds of food & just enjoying the day out, without giving a shit what was happening on the pitch!

Every time Jamaica touched the ball, the volume rose & people looked up. As soon as they lost it again, everyone got back to eating, drinking white rum, Red Stripe, Special Brew, building spliffs & ignoring the match!

I loved it! Jamaica fever had hit Moss Side! It's gotta be my oddest & one of my more enjoyable experiences at a football ground ever.

It was great to see everyone having a great & safe time, even if it wasn't because of the turgid football on offer.

Last edited:
I was there in the North Stand. Went along out of curiosity and in the mistaken hope that Georgi Kinkladze would make a farewell appearance. I do remember someone having a ghetto blaster with them. Nicky Weaver had a brilliant game. Gary James later told me it didn't count as his first team debut.

They were dire - but did actually win a match at the World Cup - Robbie Earle scored the winner against either Japan or South Korea
They beat Japan 2-1 with both goals scored by Theodore Whitmore who had spells at Hull and Tranmere along with a couple of Scottish clubs.
Robbie Earle scored Jamaica’s only other goal at the World Cup in a 3-1 defeat to Croatia.

I don't remember the football. Probably short-term memory loss from secondary ganja smoking.

Goes down as part of Maine Road folklore along with Norman Wisdom's penalty and the pelican on the roof of the Platt Lane stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.