Fulham (A) - Sun 30th April, 14:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We wont lose to fulham

We won't. And the only way we draw is if we take our eye off the ball. As we did against Forest, the week after we won at the Emirates. I remember how disappointed, and disagreeably surprised, I was by that result. It seemed at the time that we'd put our foot on Arsenal's neck only to take it off, straight away.
I really don't think we will draw, because the configuration of circumstances now is thoroughly different to then. We hadn't actually been playing all that well, even then, if the truth be told, and I will admit I was slightly surprised that we won at the Emirates, and won with something to spare. The team is now playing with a meanness and focus that has really only kicked in in the last six weeks or so. But there has to be tiredness factored in. The Haaland-De Bruyne machine is now actually functioning better than it's done all season (and it was functioning pretty well, has to be said). Can you play Haaland-De Bruyne every single game, therefore? Surely not. It's two games a week, every week no exceptions, until the cup final. That's what it is to be in three different competitions right up to the bitter end. Every footballer in the entire league would kill to be in that position. And to some extent adrenalin, I hope, will do its work. But there has to be some intelligent rotation. Anyone on the bench hasn't been sent to the Outer Hebrides. They're on the bench — and can be brought on at any time. It's all very well to say “Get the game won, then bring them off.” Supposing the game isn't being won? Do you keep players on when their game is somewhat flat, because they're clearly shagged out, until they're totally shagged out?
It's a question of balance, and judgement. That's what Pep gets paid for, and that's why it's his call, and his only. Personally, I will not be reassured if the exact same team that was so brilliant on Wednesday is selected on Sunday.

We won't. And the only way we draw is if we take our eye off the ball. As we did against Forest, the week after we won at the Emirates. I remember how disappointed, and disagreeably surprised, I was by that result. It seemed at the time that we'd put our foot on Arsenal's neck only to take it off, straight away.
I really don't think we will draw, because the configuration of circumstances now is thoroughly different to then. We hadn't actually been playing all that well, even then, if the truth be told, and I will admit I was slightly surprised that we won at the Emirates, and won with something to spare. The team is now playing with a meanness and focus that has really only kicked in in the last six weeks or so. But there has to be tiredness factored in. The Haaland-De Bruyne machine is now actually functioning better than it's done all season (and it was functioning pretty well, has to be said). Can you play Haaland-De Bruyne every single game, therefore? Surely not. It's two games a week, every week no exceptions, until the cup final. That's what it is to be in three different competitions right up to the bitter end. Every footballer in the entire league would kill to be in that position. And to some extent adrenalin, I hope, will do its work. But there has to be some intelligent rotation. Anyone on the bench hasn't been sent to the Outer Hebrides. They're on the bench — and can be brought on at any time. It's all very well to say “Get the game won, then bring them off.” Supposing the game isn't being won? Do you keep players on when their game is somewhat flat, because they're clearly shagged out, until they're totally shagged out?
It's a question of balance, and judgement. That's what Pep gets paid for, and that's why it's his call, and his only. Personally, I will not be reassured if the exact same team that was so brilliant on Wednesday is selected on Sunday.
Mahrez and Foden could come in. Laporte too. That’s about it though if we don’t want to see a drop. We can only rest one of Kev/Bernie/Gundo. Haaland is vital. Rodri is vital. Three changes tops.

Anyone who is going to the game let us know what pubs they are thinking near the ground - cheers!

Mahrez and Foden could come in. Laporte too. That’s about it though if we don’t want to see a drop. We can only rest one of Kev/Bernie/Gundo. Haaland is vital. Rodri is vital. Three changes tops.

That seems about right, Pep.
(Not being ironic, by the way, I really do think that's the balance.) I'm afraid I still don't trust Phillips, although you do wonder if he actually has a future with us if he's not being picked for games like this. His time will come next season, if it's going to come at all. (We still have a buy-back option on Lavia, do we not?)
You could put Stones in deep-lying midfield to give Rodri a hand, but I just don't think the latter can be dropped. Sorry, Rodri, you'll just have to grit your teeth or take drugs. You could play a back line of Walker, Diaz, Akanji, Laporte. That looks pretty bloody sound to me.
The Viking is not a guy who ever looks tired to me (normal, he's a robot according to all opposition fans). He looks as if he's just having a whale of a time. Jack got through a mass of work against Arsenal, both in defence and attack, and I'd have him on the bench.
If we play with our usual rigour, I frankly don't see Fulham scoring. And I don't see them stopping a front line of Haaland, Foden, Mahrez; still less Foden, Haaland, Álvarez. Although I'd be happy to trust Riyad, too.
On the reverse jinx principle, though, I think I'm going to predict a loss. I'm reassured to see that @TINY has gone back to predicting them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.