Fulham (H) | PL | Post Match Thread

Don't play the first half system again lol... Switched to what we'd been playing so far this season and were far superior 2nd half
Tbf if we conceded like that justbefore HT away
.would have knocked tge stuffing out us..it did change the gane that VAR fk up..glad it did of course but worth reminding myself when we next get fked over by it...VAR is shite... nothing good has come from it, i mean aside from utd's 'winner ' yesterday HA HA...GET IN

You've made a decision? And what have you decided?
You two arguing again? :)

I agree with you that, with the way the law is interpreted, Akanji wasn't offside. But it's a stupid interpretation that someone in an offside position doesn't affect the goalkeeper's ability to play the ball if the player in the offside position jumps over the damn thing. The presence of the attacker surely affects the ability of the goalkeeper to make a save. At the very least, he has to delay it.

Law is fine, interpretation isn't. All imho.

You two arguing again? :)

I agree with you that, with the way the law is interpreted, Akanji wasn't offside. But it's a stupid interpretation that someone in an offside position doesn't affect the goalkeeper's ability to play the ball if the player in the offside position jumps over the damn thing. The presence of the attacker surely affects the ability of the goalkeeper to make a save. At the very least, he has to delay it.

Law is fine, interpretation isn't. All imho.

Haha. I'm not one to argue, so apologies to @Alan Harper's Tash for adopting an aggressive tone.

I agree with you. On this occasion, and on reflection, one can make a very strong case that the keeper delayed his action until after the ball had passed Akanji, and therefore Akanji did interfere with an opponent, so was offside.

It's still a debatable point though, and the referee and VAR are justified in saying they don't think Akanji's actions impacted the goalkeeper's decision making.

It's also very difficult to frame the law to cover every eventuality, and I think the existing law is pretty good.

A more debatable comparison is the contact on Rashford last week which resulted in a penalty, and the heavier contact on Havertz yesterday, which resulted in a penalty decision being overturned. Personally, I'm not bothered which way these decisions go, so long as there is consistency across all teams.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.