Full backs / Wing Backs

agreed on all you said. zinc, jesus and sterling were below what we need for the first team. we have higher standard than the likes of arsenal and chelsea. this season unfortunately we did not meet those standards yet.
There's two distinct issues here.

1. The quality of players...
2. Getting individuals to play as a team...

Doubtless we have the player quality, but it's only 5 months ago that many (including myself) were concerned how we'd cope with 5 senior players leaving (Fern, Sterling, Zin, Jesus & Steffen) & trying to gel their replacements into a team structure which can take a season or two to settle into.

I suppose now we're seeing how difficult this can be. We also have decisions to make in the summer regarding the futures of Gundog, Bernardo (AGAIN!) & whether Gomez & Palmer will make the grade at City.

Hypothetically we could be looking at 2 LB's, 2 CM's & 2 Wingers! Added to the players we acquired in the summer, we could essentially have 2 seasons of squad upheaval, & the same in 2024 when KDB & Walker will be well into their 30's...

Imagine trying to sort all that out & remain competitive as all around us invest & improve too? frowning-face_2639-fe0f.png

I was always a bit relieved to see Zinchenko come on during big games, and I remember thinking he played well during the CL semi vs Real. Then again, I'm on a keyboard, Pep is at the Etihad, and Zinchenko's with the arse, so I'd say you're view is probably more accurate.

Still, if I only get Zinchenko for 90 percent of the games, I'm keeping him.
That's the issue. With the expectations on a team like City, we're geared up to have a squad who can do the 90% & step up to compete at a world class level in the other 10% of games.

If we had a solid reliable LB, I reckon Zin would still be here as a backup & to play in the lower grade matches. He was never good enough to be the No 1 LB at a club challenging on all fronts, hence why we need a complete & utter overhaul at that problem position...

So we got rid of zinchenko and bought gomez ! Fuck me I bet Real Madrid would have shit the bed knowing that gomez was on .
Not quite. There were two issues. We wanted a new No 1 LB (Cucurella) which meant both he & Cancelo would probably be No 1 & 2 for LB. We've got players who're better CM's & LW's than Zin, so I think it was best for City & Zin to part company.

HOWEVER, as we know the Cucurella deal fell apart when Chelsea stepped in, leaving us a LB short as we'd already allowed Zin to leave presumably thinking Cucu was in the bag. Hence we looked at the potential of Gomez & brought him to City instead of allowing him to go to another CFG club, & panic buying an alternative LB.

This season will hopefully confirm to Txiki & Pep that LB is a priority position which needs to be filled. What I also don't want to see is another CB who can play LB.

I want a top class, left footed LB, preferable two. OR if we feel Gomez has sufficient potential, perhaps he could remain as a LB apprentice understudy & learn his trade knowing the pressure to perform at the very highest level is off as he learns his trade.

This season will hopefully confirm to Txiki & Pep that LB is a priority position which needs to be filled. What I also don't want to see is another CB who can play LB.

I want a top class, left footed LB, preferable two. OR if we feel Gomez has sufficient potential, perhaps he could remain as a LB apprentice understudy & learn his trade knowing the pressure to perform at the very highest level is off as he learns his trade.
We desperately need a top LB, it's the highest priority signing for me.

I wonder with all the incomings at chelsea if we could get Chilwell in the summer?
I know he's been injured a lot but when he's on form he looks like he'd be perfect for us. If not him, i would try for Robinson at Fulham.

I don't think we need two LB's quite yet. We need to give Gomez time, he's young, new to the league and country and has shown potential. I think he'd be better playing further forward though and like Zinchenko be used at LB if needed.
We also have Wilson-Esbrand to consider also.

People are still piling up on Gomez. That guy is young is trying his trade in new country and cost just €10m
Shame that he isn't being given benefit of doubt for first season. Guess he isn't as lucky as some other players

People are still piling up on Gomez. That guy is young is trying his trade in new country and cost just €10m
Shame that he isn't being given benefit of doubt for first season. Guess he isn't as lucky as some other players

Its not a case of piling up on the lad.Peopel are rightly pointing out that a bang average left winger,with very little pedigree,should have been recruited to try and solve our left back position.

We had/have academy products that could do just as good a job,and we sold a lad who was far better.

If people are being a tad harsh,its through frustration and annoyance.....but in fairness,that should be directed at our management.

What about Rico? Teach him to bang in crosses with his left and he'd be a perfect LB.

Maxim Cuyper would ve a good shout; dude is tearing up Belgium league with Westerloo and is clearly above that level; pplays like Cancelo but defensively really sound

We desperately need a top LB, it's the highest priority signing for me.

I wonder with all the incomings at chelsea if we could get Chilwell in the summer?
I know he's been injured a lot but when he's on form he looks like he'd be perfect for us. If not him, i would try for Robinson at Fulham.

I don't think we need two LB's quite yet. We need to give Gomez time, he's young, new to the league and country and has shown potential. I think he'd be better playing further forward though and like Zinchenko be used at LB if needed.
We also have Wilson-Esbrand to consider also.
Personally I don't think JWE will make it at City, albeit I'd love him to. Agreed, a world class left footed left back should be our priority, & Gomez should be given another season to settle in & prove his worth.

I'd love Chilwell here, but I doubt Chelsea will sell him (especially to City), plus his injury record is a worry.

I dunno about Robinson. He's a very good player, but is he the top shelf LB City need? I'm not too sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.