Full Backs?

The problem is that we have finite funds though, and I think he'll see midfield and centre half as the more pressing issues. It's going to take him 3/4 windows to get the squad he wants.

If we were to sign Laporte, Gundogan and Sane (and possibly one other centre mid) then it doesn't leave much money for full backs.
I agree our spine needs strengthening first. Most of our problems this season have started with us not strengthening our midfield last summer.

Ah, this has always worked me. The notion that Kolarov is good going forward. He is good at whipping in hard low crosses. Which is 'a' component of going forward. Zaba is good at going forward. He understands movement angles, reads the opposition well, beats offside traps with well timed runs and picks Crosse accurately. Low to front post, chip to back post, cutbacl for trailing player etc. That's a fullback who is good going forward. Kolarov is shit with his decisions up front. Takes dumb shots from poor angles, has a lazy pass, and attempts the unlikely to be successful too often. No, Kolarov is not good at going forward, he is good at putting in low hard and sometimes dangerous crosses in.

The more you watch Kolarov, the more you realise this is correct, I mean he has it in him to whip in a fine cross but he's not intelligent enough to read the game so he just goes the old whack it as hard as possible

Ah, this has always worked me. The notion that Kolarov is good going forward. He is good at whipping in hard low crosses. Which is 'a' component of going forward. Zaba is good at going forward. He understands movement angles, reads the opposition well, beats offside traps with well timed runs and picks Crosse accurately. Low to front post, chip to back post, cutbacl for trailing player etc. That's a fullback who is good going forward. Kolarov is shit with his decisions up front. Takes dumb shots from poor angles, has a lazy pass, and attempts the unlikely to be successful too often. No, Kolarov is not good at going forward, he is good at putting in low hard and sometimes dangerous crosses in.
Very good post Dax,Kolarov is one of the most overrated players in our squad,everything about the bloke winds me up and I rue the day we paid far too much for the donkey.The more concerning fact is that given he still has 2 years of a bafflingly fantastic contract to run.....who the hell is going to take him off our hands?

I believe we need two new fullbacks,and i'm definitely of the opinion they should be priority purchases.

I think you're wrong. No way is Guardiola going to bring in 8 or 9 first team players in one summer. It would actually make his job harder if he brought in almost an entire new first team squad in 3 months. Not only would those 8 or 9 have to bed in and get used to the club, used to Manchester, used to the Premier League, but he'd also be alienating pretty much the whole first team squad that was here before. He'd essentially be saying they weren't good enough.

I actually disagree with Ric, I don't think the funds will be a problem. With the huge CL money we got from this year, the huge PL money we're getting next year, we'll have one of, if not the biggest transfer budget in the world this summer. I don' think there is a single player Pep will ask for and be told by the board "we can't afford them."

Yaya is almost certainly going, I can't see Fernando playing at all under Pep, and I don't think Delph is quite of the required standard to play CM in a Guardiola team. He tends to like to swamp his squad with midfielders, so I'd be very surprised if he buys less then 2 CM this summer. My guess is he might try to get 3.

DeMichelis is leaving, so we need at least one new centre half. Navas doesn't strike me as a Guardiola player, so I'd assume we'll definitely be buying a new right winger. So there's 4 or 5 signings that are needed before we've even started.

I don't think any of our current full backs will still be there when Guardiola leaves in 3 years time. They will gradually replaced. But it's foolish to think he's going to buy 4 new ones this summer.

I definitely expect Clichy and Sagna to stay. I'm not sure about Kolarov and Zabba, but I would probably expect them both to leave. We have players who could play there in a Guardiola system though. Delph could probably be nurtured in to a left wing back in a Pep team. Perhaps Fernandinho too on the right.

We've got too much work to do elsewhere in the team to be worrying too much about our second choice full backs. 2 new ones this summer, maybe, 4 new ones? No chance.
Who said 8-9?

I think Pep uses his fullbacks as a key component of his various formations & if we don't sign some, he will have to pull a few out of the hat from the academy or from other positions, because the ones we have can't do it.

If Kolarov stays, I'm going to hunt Pep down & punch him in the face.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.