Full Backs?

Like it or not. But from the full backs we have Kolarov suits Pep best. The main thing that Pep needs to stamp in to the man is he must be focus 100% from start to finish. Loss of concentration is typical for often talented athletes from the Balkan area. Kolarov is much more useful in a possession game than Clichy who hasn't got a clue when he receives the ball in play.

All our full backs have their limitations. But Pep wouldn't surprise anyone if he comes up with a totally unexpected choice from the squad. Navas at right back? In a three men's defense why not. The system decides what kind of left or right back you need.
No he doesn't.

I personally think that 2 new fullbacks are more pressing than getting a new centre back. I think in Mangala/Otamendi and Denayer, we will be sorted.

I've long advocated that the state of our midfield this year and the system we have played as a whole has really alienated both Otamendi and Mangala. Kill me for it if you wish, but I think they are decent centre backs.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Maffeo and Angelino graduate. Either way it's the end for Zabaleta and Kolarov in my opinion.

2 full backs, 2 CMs and a winger for Navas should be the priority this summer. Potentially a striker if he doesn't use Bony.

It's 5-6 new players with the same going out. Bring 1 or 2 kids through and that is a nicely refreshed squad.

Toure
Zaba
Kolarov
Navas
Demichellis

Are certs to go for me. Possibly Bony as well.

I personally think that 2 new fullbacks are more pressing than getting a new centre back. I think in Mangala/Otamendi and Denayer, we will be sorted.

I've long advocated that the state of our midfield this year and the system we have played as a whole has really alienated both Otamendi and Mangala. Kill me for it if you wish, but I think they are decent centre backs.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Maffeo and Angelino graduate. Either way it's the end for Zabaleta and Kolarov in my opinion.

2 full backs, 2 CMs and a winger for Navas should be the priority this summer. Potentially a striker if he doesn't use Bony.

It's 5-6 new players with the same going out. Bring 1 or 2 kids through and that is a nicely refreshed squad.

Toure
Zaba
Kolarov
Navas
Demichellis

Are certs to go for me. Possibly Bony as well.
+1

Pep's sides feature extremely high possession, with the overwhelming majority of the game played in the opponent's half. Once the ball turns over, very aggressive pressing ensues to quickly force turnovers.

Whenever the ball is won in the back, it's played out carefully to retain possession.

Key to this approach is extremely good on-the-ball skills at every position including (or especially) the keeper.

I really don't see Pep deviating from this overall approach at all next year.
--------------
What does this portend?

I think that Hart - in spite of turning in a world-class performance this year - will be out of the team next year. Hart is a great shot stopper, is a great motivator, and this past year has shown very good distribution. But Hart is not good on the ball. I think Pep will try hard to replace Hart in the Summer transfer window - if that fails, Hart is almost sure to go, IMO, in the Winter window.

Otters and Mangalla both, turn the ball over way too often. I foresee both going eventually. And unfortunately Kompany - who fits Pep's scheme to a tee - is likely at the end of his career due perpetual injuries.

Yaya is gone for sure - way too lazy to fit into Pep's approach.

As for full backs.... Navas is surely gone. And none of our other full-backs are secure. Pep can't change the entire team in one season - so maybe some of our current full-backs survive this season.

Two seasons hence - I don't expect to see any one of Kolarov, Clichy, Zabba or Sanga in our squad - due to age and/or inability to fit into Pep's scheme.

Last edited:
+1

Pep's sides seem to feature extremely high possession, with the overwhelming majority of the game played in the opponent's half. Once the ball turns over, very aggressive pressing ensues to quickly force turnovers.

Whenever the ball is won in the back, it's played out carefully to retain possession.

Key to this approach is extremely good on-the-ball skills at every position including the keeper.

I really don't see Pep deviating from this overall approach at all next year.
--------------
What does this portend?

I think that Hart - in spite of turning in a world-class performance this year - will be out of the team next year. Hart is a great shot stopper, is a great motivator, and this past year has shown very good distribution. But Hart is not good on the ball. I think Pep will try hard to replace Hart in the Summer transfer window - if that fails, Hart is almost sure to go, IMO< in the Winter window.

Otters and Mangalla both, turn the ball over way too often. I foresee both going eventually.

Yaya is gone for sure - way too lazy to fit into Pep's approach.

As for full backs.... Navas is surely gone. And none of our other full-backs are secure. Pep can't change the entire team in one season - so maybe some of our current full-backs survive this season.

Next season - I don't expect to see anyone of Kolarov, Clichy, Zabba or Sanga in our squad - due to age and/or ability to fit into Pep's scheme.
I'm not sure the manner pep plays, possession in opposition half, will necessarily lend itself to the prem. I am probably wrong but a dink over the top into space as Leicester managed will undo us. Will be interesting to see whether pep reinvents his style or sticks with what he has done at Munich. I have no doubts whatever he chooses he will be capable of adapting, and as most are saying new personnel will be required. Wouldn't want to see back of joe though.

Wouldn't want to see back of joe though.
+1
Joe is one of my favorite players. But Joe just doesn't fit into the way Pep's played in the past.

As you say - will Pep change his approach - in which case Joe will stay - or will he stick to his approach used at Bayern/Barca?

+1
Joe is one of my favorite players. But Joe just doesn't fit into the way Pep's played in the past.

As you say - will Pep change his approach - in which case Joe will stay - or will he stick to his approach used at Bayern/Barca?
+1
But tell me, when the City keeper has the ball, when did you last see:
1. A DM drop deep and the Centre halves split either side at City (to give the GK more options)?
2. A player move to get into space to receive a pass or a throw from the City keeper?
I ask, because unless that changes even the best passing keeper in the world would struggle to find a City player to pass too,

LAHM: Football as a whole has changed. Look at the top teams and you see a lot of midfielders on the pitch. You don’t really have traditional full backs any more.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-s-tactics-different-level.html#ixzz49DyM6A2X
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
What mid field players do we have, that could be converted to a Pep style full back? What full backs do we have that could also fit to a Pep style full back!
Navas. Problems with ball delivery in the area - but he does the tracking back bit quite well, so I am being serious.

Can someone just tell me if Kolarov's going or not? Because I've got party poppers and banners on the ready for when I see the shit montage videos they do on the site of his free kicks for when he leaves.

very very odd we've not concretely been linked to one aside from that Sassuolo chap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.