Future Wingers

There's way too much emphasis put on pace and power, even though we see the most creative player in world football in De Bruyne every week, who is quick but not lightening quick. There's no point being able to sprint like a fucking mad man into a great position, if your delivery is piss poor (e.g. Adama Traore) and that's even more pertinent against deep and narrow defences. I'm not suggesting pace isn't important because it absolutely is, however, it has to be balanced with quality delivery.

First of all De Bruyne is a midfielder. Pace isn't needed as much for that position. If you also noticed when he did go to the byline to put in a cross, it was actually blocked quite a lot this season. Opposition learned to track his runs. Of course there is no point if you are lightning quick and have a piss poor cross. Sterling isn't used this way for that reason. So no Traore isn't what we need especially against deep defences like you say, but we already have 2 really good players in Mahrez and Bernardo who you'd think are perfect to break down a low block. They both have good crosses and trickery yet rarely played on the left and weren't effective when they did.

I suggest you go and watch his assists again on YouTube; there's one low powerful cross against Bournemouth and one pullback against West Ham, the rest are either hopeful high balls/punts which Giminez throws himself at or deflected crosses. Assists doesn't mean his delivery has been great, he's had a purple patch in numbers for him but even then they're still not great.
I've watched almost every Wolves match broadcasted on TV this season, Traoré has definitely improved his crossing. Assists or not, his delivery is good for a winger

First of all De Bruyne is a midfielder. Pace isn't needed as much for that position. If you also noticed when he did go to the byline to put in a cross, it was actually blocked quite a lot this season. Opposition learned to track his runs. Of course there is no point if you are lightning quick and have a piss poor cross. Sterling isn't used this way for that reason. So no Traore isn't what we need especially against deep defences like you say, but we already have 2 really good players in Mahrez and Bernardo who you'd think are perfect to break down a low block. They both have good crosses and trickery yet rarely played on the left and weren't effective when they did.
Mahrez absolutely no doubt could play down the left with his skillset but he's too selfish. Mahrez plays for Mahrez, not the team. Bernardo hasn't got the range of delivery, he's very good in tight intricate spaces, his short range passing is superb but he's not got the power to provide different types of crosses. All Bernardo's crosses are pin point, floated onto someone's head in space, he's never going to smash one across the six yard box or whip a cross in like De Bruyne.

And of course a lot of De Bruyne's crosses were blocked, low hard crosses always will be. They're high risk, high reward; the previous two seasons have resulted in pundits calling it the "City goal" because it happened so frequently when we played Sterling and Sane down their natural wings.

Mahrez absolutely no doubt could play down the left with his skillset but he's too selfish. Mahrez plays for Mahrez, not the team. Bernardo hasn't got the range of delivery, he's very good in tight intricate spaces, his short range passing is superb but he's not got the power to provide different types of crosses. All Bernardo's crosses are pin point, floated onto someone's head in space, he's never going to smash one across the six yard box or whip a cross in like De Bruyne.

And of course a lot of De Bruyne's crosses were blocked, low hard crosses always will be. They're high risk, high reward; the previous two seasons have resulted in pundits calling it the "City goal" because it happened so frequently when we played Sterling and Sane down their natural wings.

I'd argue quite the opposite. A low ball flashed across the box behind the defence, but just out of the reach of the keeper for a tap in is exactly what Pep wants. That's what makes it a "City goal". The risk is actually low because if it doesn't come off the ball is still far from our own goal so the opposition can't counter quickly. Higher risk is actually a high cross which the defender can head out where the ball is in an area for the opposition to counter quickly. Highest risk is taking a shot at goal from deep and it getting blocked really high up.

This is why the "City goal" happened frequently with Sane and Sterling. Sane with his pace got behind the defence and put the ball in for Sterling to tap in. Sane was also really good at finishing on the break which is what we need.

Last edited:
I'd argue quite the opposite. A low ball flashed across the box behind the defence, but just out of the reach of the keeper for a tap in is exactly what Pep wants. That's what makes it a "City goal". The risk is actually low because if it doesn't come off the ball is still far from our own goal so the opposition can't counter quickly. Higher risk is actually a high cross which the defender can head out where the ball is in an area for the opposition to counter quickly. Highest risk is taking a shot at goal from deep and it getting blocked really high up.

This is why the "City goal" happened frequently with Sane and Sterling. Sane with his pace got behind the defence and put the ball in for Sterling to tap in. Sane was also really good at finishing on the break which is what we need.
I completely agree with low hard crosses being what Pep wants. You've completely jumped the gun in terms of understanding what I meant by high risk though. The only reason I said it's high risk is due to the chances of it being blocked and subsequently losing possession when it could easily be retained by passing backwards (and trying to "walk it in" like we do every time with inverted wingers).

Getting in behind is as much, if not more, about positioning and patterns of play designed to move opposition defenders out of position. Pace just makes that process easier.

I've watched almost every Wolves match broadcasted on TV this season, Traoré has definitely improved his crossing. Assists or not, his delivery is good for a winger
I just can’t see him being good enough for a top table team like us . Would he be good enough for Barca , Madrid, Liverpool , juve . I think not mate

I just can’t see him being good enough for a top table team like us . Would he be good enough for Barca , Madrid, Liverpool , juve . I think not mate
He's not good enough for us, never said it. Just pointed out that the guy I answered to was wrong regarding Traoré's crossing abilities. He has improved his delivery a lot

He's not good enough for us, never said it. Just pointed out that the guy I answered to was wrong regarding Traoré's crossing abilities. He has improved his delivery a lot
You didn't because I disagreed, his crossing is fucking atrocious. Even I can fluke the odd spectacular goal and cross, it doesn't mean I'm any good. It's all about consistency (e.g. De Bruyne) and the only thing consistent about Traore is his inconsistency.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.