Future Wingers

I actually like the look of Ferran Torres on the clips I’ve seen! Crosses and shoots with both feet really well , looks fairly quick and a good dribbler?

Dwight McNeil, slightly slower version of Sane.

He can put in a good cross, but pace is really needed. If you think about Sane's skills and impact on how we played with him at his best, it was Silva who would find a little though ball for him who got behind the fullback from a wide area. The chip from Silva where Leroy scored against Crystal Palace a few seasons ago comes to mind. Leroy would also get behind the defence to flash a ball across the goal for Sterling to tap in.

If the winger can't get behind the defence then it has the same effect a fullback with a good cross has like Mendy. Opposition would just stay compact and defend all day long. Also the thing we've been lacking is pace when we transition quickly. Bernado and even Mahrez aren't nearly as effective.

Dwight McNeil, slightly slower version of Sane.
Definitely not the level required. I don't even think he's good enough for United to be honest. If we want a left footed pace merchant who can whip a cross Alphonso Davies and Diaby are much better options. They're fast like Sané, much more technical than McNeil, and got a higher ceiling

He can put in a good cross, but pace is really needed. If you think about Sane's skills and impact on how we played with him at his best, it was Silva who would find a little though ball for him who got behind the fullback from a wide area. The chip from Silva where Leroy scored against Crystal Palace a few seasons ago comes to mind. Leroy would also get behind the defence to flash a ball across the goal for Sterling to tap in.

If the winger can't get behind the defence then it has the same effect a fullback with a good cross has like Mendy. Opposition would just stay compact and defend all day long. Also the thing we've been lacking is pace when we transition quickly. Bernado and even Mahrez aren't nearly as effective.
He's not slow, far from it. He's not Sane quick but who is, he's certainly quicker than Mahrez and Bernardo. I have watched him quite a bit because he's a friend of a friend, so it's nice to see him doing well, even though I don't know him personally.

For me it's the consistency and variety of delivery (very much like De Bruyne) that I feel would help us the most. He's more than capable of drilling balls across the six yard box, bending balls just out of the keepers reach or standing one up at the back post (not that we would require that too often). He's got a very powerful shot on him too.

His problem at the moment is Burnley's style of play, their sole intent is to put balls into the box early from any position and he knows he's suffering because for that reason. He doesn't get the chance to make runs in behind at Burnley, that's not what they want from him. He knows he has to develop his positioning and movement off the ball, it's just getting the opportunity in a possession based team with a manager who will help him in that respect, very much like Pep has done with Sterling and Sane in the past. He is a rag though, so maybe not!! :)

Definitely not the level required. I don't even think he's good enough for United to be honest. If we want a left footed pace merchant who can whip a cross Alphonso Davies and Diaby are much better options. They're fast like Sané, much more technical than McNeil, and got a higher ceiling
What are you classing as technical? Davies is nothing much more than Adama Traore, fucking lighting fast and looks sensational on YouTube but struggles with consistency and will very much become unstuck against packed defences when outright pace doesn't work because his delivery isn't anything special, hence the transition to left back. Diaby, not sure, haven't seen enough.

Last edited:
He's not slow, far from it. He's not Sane quick but who is, he's certainly quicker than Mahrez and Bernardo. I have watched him quite a bit because he's a friend of a friend, so it's nice to see him doing well, even though I don't know him personally.

For me it's the consistency and variety of delivery (very much like De Bruyne) that I feel would help us the most. He's more than capable of drilling balls across the six yard box, bending balls just out of the keepers reach or standing one up at the back post (not that we would require that too often). He's got a very powerful shot on him too.

His problem at the moment is Burnley's style of play, their sole intent is to put balls into the box early from any position and he knows he's suffering because for that reason. He doesn't get the chance to make runs in behind at Burnley, that's not what they want from him. He knows he has to develop his positioning and movement off the ball, it's just getting the opportunity in a possession based team with a manager who will help him in that respect, very much like Pep has done with Sterling and Sane in the past. He is a rag though, so maybe not!! :)

Nothing against him. I do think he has some good qualities. Him being quicker than Mahrez is debatable. However, if you look at someone like Mahrez, IMO he's still better than McNeil if you were to put him on the left. Yet Pep hasn't even used Mahrez there too often. It's because like I said we need pace. The winger has to stay as wide as possible near the touchline. Mahrez isn't quick enough to be able to get behind the fullback when chipped balls are played in so he can put in a low cross. So the ones who aren't as quick cut in and invert. Sterling on the left is the exception because he's more of an inside forward. Defenders don't want to touch him when he gets the ball in the box. So it's Mendy who creates the width.

Although it may not be best for McNeil, he's perfect for Burnley. Someone who can put a quality ball into the box for 2 big strikers to get at.

Nothing against him. I do think he has some good qualities. Him being quicker than Mahrez is debatable. However, if you look at someone like Mahrez, IMO he's still better than McNeil if you were to put him on the left. Yet Pep hasn't even used Mahrez there too often. It's because like I said we need pace. The winger has to stay as wide as possible near the touchline. Mahrez isn't quick enough to be able to get behind the fullback when chipped balls are played in so he can put in a low cross. So the ones who aren't as quick cut in and invert. Sterling on the left is the exception because he's more of an inside forward. Defenders don't want to touch him when he gets the ball in the box. So it's Mendy who creates the width.

Although it may not be best for McNeil, he's perfect for Burnley. Someone who can put a quality ball into the box for 2 big strikers to get at.
There's way too much emphasis put on pace and power, even though we see the most creative player in world football in De Bruyne every week, who is quick but not lightening quick. There's no point being able to sprint like a fucking mad man into a great position, if your delivery is piss poor (e.g. Adama Traore) and that's even more pertinent against deep and narrow defences. I'm not suggesting pace isn't important because it absolutely is, however, it has to be balanced with quality delivery.

There's way too much emphasis put on pace and power, even though we see the most creative player in world football in De Bruyne every week, who is quick but not lightening quick. There's no point being able to sprint like a fucking mad man into a great position, if your delivery is piss poor (e.g. Adama Traore) and that's even more pertinent against deep and narrow defences. I'm not suggesting pace isn't important because it absolutely is, however, it has to be balanced with quality delivery.
I actually think Adama Traorés delivery is not that bad. He has improved his end product by a country mile since last season. He is on 7 assists which is tied with David Silva, Mané and Robertson. He has been able to hit some powerful and precise crosses

I actually think Adama Traorés delivery is not that bad. He has improved his end product by a country mile since last season. He is on 7 assists which is tied with David Silva, Mané and Robertson. He has been able to hit some powerful and precise crosses
I suggest you go and watch his assists again on YouTube; there's one low powerful cross against Bournemouth and one pullback against West Ham, the rest are either hopeful high balls/punts which Giminez throws himself at or deflected crosses. Assists doesn't mean his delivery has been great, he's had a purple patch in numbers for him but even then they're still not great.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.