Gabriel Jesus | Joins Arsenal for £45m

Status
Not open for further replies.
City are thinking we have a lad here who has done well by us, has seemingly asked to move on so he can be a starter in a world cup year and doesn't want to sign a new contract.

City are in the driving seat because they own the rights to the player yeah but we have proven on several occasions that we will do well by the player if its all amicable which this looks like it is from both sides. We aren't going to force him to stay and get nothing in 12mths, not happening.

If you really think this shite about the hateful 8 is going to get in the way of business you are mistaken.

I really wouldn't be arsed about strengthening Arsenal, we aren't exactly fighting them for top 4 are we. Spuds and Chelsea should be the ones concerned if Arsenal add a new forward.
You can say "we aren't" this or that all you like, you're guessing based on what you personally want to happen but I think your scope is rather narrow in my view. At a guess, I'd say you were anxious about City getting a LB and a DM deal done in this window(to that I would say relax, plenty of time, the big targets we've landed already, these are backup) and you're in a rush yourself to see City just accept the first offer. Why else would you be so desperate for City to take a shite deal? Your tone comes across as if you're trying to urge the board itself to take it because you know what's best but I disagree. A shite deal will likely still be there if City wait. If not with Arsenal, then with someone else because £30m is peanuts really for a player of that quality, in this market.

As I've already said, if we do swallow a shite deal(yes it is) to a big 6 rival in the same league, hopefully City wont be stupid(yes it would be) enough to fold in the first week of the transfer window. The window opened on the 10th. It's not even been a full week, without accounting for the internationals disruption. Jesus said he wouldn't talk about it until the internationals were done with. This was their first real offer. We wont take it IMO, at least not right now anyway. We have no reason to rush to take that because it isn't a good offer whichever way you slice it.

We should be concerned with doing favours for any big 6 club, was my point. Why do it? Give me a valid reason that doesn't involve the players wishes. We want the best for him but we aren't a charity, we aren't pricing him out, they are low balling us. It doesn't matter how close they are to us currently. We don't help them progress unless it suits us as a club(sorry but it's not just about what Jesus wants) and £30m so early in the window does not. Things could change, if we do get more desperate to sell someone later in the window and it just makes more sense to get it done from our point of view. But right now?... No.

If you think our owner/board care don't care about the hateful 8(particularly Arsenal, Liverpool and United) and the collaboration against City behind the scenes then you haven't been paying close enough attention. They wouldn't let Pep say what he said, that was no co-incidence. He wasn't just giving his own opinions there, he echoed the sentiments by Kahldoon(only less polite) in many ways. He spoke as if he'd had a word with the higher ups about how that was. I'm not saying we don't do business with them, just do them no favours and never forget who they are. All we want is a fair price, for a good player that improves them. That's not unreasonable.

I think we've covered all bases there, we either agree or we don't.

Last edited:
You can say "we aren't" this or that all you like, you're guessing based on what you personally want to happen but I think your scope is rather narrow in my view. At a guess, I'd say you were anxious about City getting a LB and a DM deal done in this window(to that I would say relax, plenty of time, the big targets we've landed already, these are backup) and you're in a rush yourself to see City just accept the first offer. Why else would you be so desperate for City to take a shite deal? You're tone comes across as if you're trying to urge the board yourself to take it because you know what's best but I disagree. A shite deal will likely still be there if City wait. If not with Arsenal, then with someone else because £30m is peanuts really for a player of that quality, in this market.

As I've already said, if we do swallow a shite deal(yes it is) to a big 6 rival in the same league, hopefully City wont be stupid(yes it would be) enough to fold in the first week of the transfer window. The window opened on the 10th. It's not even been a full week, without accounting for the internationals disruption. Jesus said he wouldn't talk about it until the internationals were done with. This was their first real offer. We wont take it IMO, at least not right now anyway. We have no reason to rush to take that because it isn't a good offer whichever way you slice it.

We should be concerned with doing favours for any big 6 club, was my point. Why do it? Give me a valid reason that doesn't involve the players wishes. We want the best for him but we aren't a charity, we aren't pricing him out, they are low balling us. It doesn't matter how close they are to us currently. We don't help them progress unless it suits us as a club(sorry but it's not just about what Jesus wants) and £30m so early in the window does not. Things could change, if we do get more desperate to sell someone later in the window and it just makes more sense to get it done from our point of view. But right now?... No.

If you think our owner/board care don't care about the hateful 8(particularly Arsenal, Liverpool and United) and the collaboration against City behind the scenes then you haven't been paying close enough attention. They wouldn't let Pep say what he said, that was no co-incidence. He wasn't just giving his own opinions there, he echoed the sentiments by Kahldoon(only less polite) in many ways. He spoke as if he'd had a word with the higher ups about how that was. I'm not saying we don't do business with them, just do them no favours and never forget who they are. All we want is a fair price, for a good player that improves them. That's not unreasonable.
I am not anxious about a LB or DM at all, what an odd thing to say.

I also don't think City should accept 30m, I have never said that at all.

What I am saying is that City will get a deal done, some believe that we won't and instead will keep him for 12mths. Which isn't going to happen and if we get to deadline day and Arsenal still have 30m on the table then he will go, as we all suspect though it will be done way before that for probably 15-20m more.

I have been paying attention but whatever Pep, Txiki, Ferran or Khaldoon say, at the end of the day this is is business. Like how the ESL was business, we didn't have any issues with the "hateful 8" when we were all getting a huge slice of the pie did we. We certainly aren't going to refuse money from them just to spite ourselves, we are running a business here. Look no further then the rags as to how you don't run a club, you don't allow hundreds of millions worth of players to walk for nothing just to spite yourself selling them 12mths previous to bring in some income.

However you want to say it, if we end up getting 30/40/50m for Jesus, it is definitely not giving anyone favors, don't understand where this comes from. It will be one of the most expensive transfers (for a player with less than 12mths) ever.

I wish nothing but the best for Jesus, really wish he could stay but I know he won't, great ability and an even better attitude.
I've seen tweets saying Arsenal have submitted a £50m bid in the hope of a quick deal.

Yes I had considered all that and they are all good points you make. Historically that is the way things have panned out. Cancelo was originally average at best at LB but is exceptional there now making many teams of the season playing there.

To me, it still feels that we already have more options on the left than the right and that’s before we buy another full back.

I‘d like to see Cancelo and Zin on the left and Walker and a new full back on the right. Walker I think is also the eldest of all the full backs and probably needs more breaks than the others while Cancelo is a Duracell Bunny.

Now if Pep sees a RB from the academy is ready like Egan-Riley then that’s different.
I agree with all points there, it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Maybe something outside of City's control will trigger our moves in the market.

I am not anxious about a LB or DM at all, what an odd thing to say.

I also don't think City should accept 30m, I have never said that at all.

What I am saying is that City will get a deal done, some believe that we won't and instead will keep him for 12mths. Which isn't going to happen and if we get to deadline day and Arsenal still have 30m on the table then he will go, as we all suspect though it will be done way before that for probably 15-20m more.
I'll take your word on that even though it seems you've changed your tune a little with regards to letting it go to the last day. Maybe I'm putting words in your mouth though(which you're doing to me I've noticed) because I've seen so many people(twitter, youtube etc) that are weirdly desperate for City to just accept it "because that's what we'll end up doing anyway". My point is, we can't do much worse, so lets wait and see how things pan out, there's plenty of time left. I accept we might end up swallowing it in the end but we shouldn't be in a rush to. I also said we'd be absolutely fine as a club if we didn't manage to sell him, if anyone was worried about that.

Arsenal can't even offer him CL football right now and there's no guarantees they will be able to next season. It makes sense he would like to link up with Arteta again but there's been no confirmation that his heart is set on Arsenal and only them. Other PL clubs could match that fee and I suspect the wages these days. Offers could come in from elsewhere in Europe, depending on what happens with their current squads.

I have been paying attention but whatever Pep, Txiki, Ferran or Khaldoon say, at the end of the day this is is business. Like how the ESL was business, we didn't have any issues with the "hateful 8" when we were all getting a huge slice of the pie did we. We certainly aren't going to refuse money from them just to spite ourselves, we are running a business here. Look no further then the rags as to how you don't run a club, you don't allow hundreds of millions worth of players to walk for nothing just to spite yourself selling them 12mths previous to bring in some income.
Where did I say any of that? I literally said that they obviously do care if you've listened but it's not about not doing business with them. It just has to make sense to us as a club if we do. So that renders most of what you said there irrelevant to the point I was making.

However you want to say it, if we end up getting 30/40/50m for Jesus, it is definitely not giving anyone favors, don't understand where this comes from. It will be one of the most expensive transfers (for a player with less than 12mths) ever.
£40m is more like it, £45m and I think we'd probably take that right now. To remind you, £50m is what City have valued him at/asked for. That takes into account his age, quality, experience and time left on his contract... Otherwise City would be asking for more.

£30m is only 60% of what City have asked for. £40m would be 80% of what they asked for. £45m would be 90% of what they asked for. £30m is not a great offer for a player of Jesus quality and age, even with 12months left on his contract. I trust City's valuation over yours. We got more than that for Sané when he had 12months left and he was still injured if I remember right and people weren't happy with that. Hype it up as "one of the biggest deals ever.... for a player with 12 left on his contract"(there's that weird energy again that I was alluding to, like you're trying to sell it) all you like but its a shite deal in my view and the vast majority on this thread and most other places you look agree with that take. Well, at least those that aren't Arsenal fans hoping for a bargain anyway. I'd even say City themselves view it as a low ball offer, they don't waste time with valuations, £50m was fair.

I never said City wont take it either, I just said we wont have our pants pulled down so easily. We will field the other offers from other clubs, we will see what offers come in for other City players which could change things. We will give it time and try and bring Arsenal's offer up all the while because the window has only just opened. At least, one would hope that's what we'll do because that is what makes the most sense.

Last edited:
Two to replace Sergio & Torres.
Not really. In 19/20 Silva left, and that was the last season that Sergio played regularly as he played the equivalent of about 6-7 full games in his last season.

So we've lost two attackers/attacking mids since 2019/20.

In their place Phil went from occasional player to main man. Torres came and went. Grealish, Alvarez and Haaland have come in. Add in Cole Palmer as an occasional player and we're actually 2 up on 19/20.

Not really. In 19/20 Silva left, and that was the last season that Sergio played regularly as he played the equivalent of about 6-7 full games in his last season.

So we've lost two attackers/attacking mids since 2019/20.

In their place Phil went from occasional player to main man. Torres came and went. Grealish, Alvarez and Haaland have come in. Add in Cole Palmer as an occasional player and we're actually 2 up on 19/20.
Ok if you are broadening the terms of reference. But Haaland is the closest like for like replacement for Sergio and Alvarez the nearest striking replacement for Torres, Phil & Grealish imo will play mostly as Am's and Palmer may fill the space left by possible leavers, Jesus, Raheem or Riyadh this season or next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.