Game of Thrones (season 8)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by 7evens, 31 Jan 2019.

1. billymumphrey

billymumphrey

Full of saccharine sentimentality. Really poor.

SebastianBlue likes this.
  2. super_city_si

super_city_si

it was shit. Can’t be much happens in this series if there’s only 6 episodes and two of them are pointless

3. Mancity1980

Mancity1980

That was a disappointing episode. I was fine with episode 1 being a coming together and warm up for the big fight, but for episode 2 to just be a continuation with only 4 more until the whole thing is finished isn’t right.

SebastianBlue likes this.
  4. David 'El Mago' Silva

David 'El Mago' Silva

Another setup episode which might seem underwhelming on first time viewing but it's one of those that will probably hold more emotional weight after the battle of Winterfell has taken place. Next episode will be up there with Battle of the Bastards in terms of spectacle.

5. idahoblues

idahoblues

6. SebastianBlue

SebastianBlue

For me, this final season has taken a wild narrative [writing] / fan service turn which has made it very difficult to watch. Much of that change is probably down to Martin not finishing the books, of course, but it still feels very different from previous seasons. And I knew they would want to have a sentimental episode where everyone unites one final time and personal/collective motivations and bonds were established to give credence to the loss in battle(s) later... but one episode was enough, especially given there are only 6 in this final season.

Let’s just hope the final four episodes were worth sitting through the first two.

7. 7evens

7evens

I could have watched that episode forever.

8. David 'El Mago' Silva

David 'El Mago' Silva

Admittedly it's been slow so far but the final four episodes are all around 80 minutes in length.
    Episode 3 is apparently going to be the longest battle sequence ever commited to film and will probably have some big character deaths.
    Episode 4 might be a bit of a slow one with any survivors regrouping and strategising their next move.
    Episode 5 will probably be another battle in Kings Landing and some more big character deaths.
    Episode 6 will tie everything up and hopefully there's a satisfactory ending.

super_city_si likes this.
  9. billymumphrey

billymumphrey

I think this narrative change and pandering to fan service has been happening for a while now. Look back to season one and there weren't any battles at all put to film (even though there were a heap in the background) It didn't need action because the writing was taught, sharp and the dramatic points weren't mired in action. The pacing of the seasons has been ruined in the last few. Perfect example, in the time it takes for Theon to rescue his sister in Kings Landing and return to Winterfell, Berrick, Tormund and Ed only made it from Last Hearth to Winterfell - which if you look at this map is absolutely laughable. And for those saying that you need an episode the set things up for what is to come - we've had that - it's called the last seven seasons...

[​IMG]

10. Blue Maverick

Blue Maverick

You can’t just have 5 episodes of battling, I liked the episode, now the good stuff over the next two episodes with the final two tying it up