Games that brought you back to earth with a thump

2011 charity shield against the rags 2 0 lead blown made them very giddy, killed my confidence for the coming season, restored at OT in October.

We won every single match up to that October game except for one draw which was and still is our joint best ever start to a season from Aug to Oct :)

Easter 1974 City unluckily drew 1-1 at home with Liverpool despite dominating the game with Liverpool's defence at panic stations all game. Ray Clemence was hopelessly spooning goal kicks and clearances into the Kippax. City had been so good my mate and I decided to go to Anfield 4 days later confident of a good result. City were 4-0 down at half time and were battered. Liverpool eased off a bit in the second half and it stayed 4-0 but City were still hopeless. Disappointment wasn't the word.

When John Bond steadied the ship in 81 and made the FA Cup Final I thought that City would go on to regularly win silverware and provide England with their international players. I was that optimistic (I was 10 years old). Then one week in 81 or 82 I got my copy of Match or Shoot only to see a picture of Trevor Aylott of Barnsley dumping City out of the League Cup - I still can t get over it.

When John Bond steadied the ship in 81 and made the FA Cup Final I thought that City would go on to regularly win silverware and provide England with their international players. I was that optimistic (I was 10 years old). Then one week in 81 or 82 I got my copy of Match or Shoot only to see a picture of Trevor Aylott of Barnsley dumping City out of the League Cup - I still can t get over it.
Was at that, at the time regarded as a shock a few years later would hardly have been remarked on. Barnsley fans after mither all night, paid back in spades at Maine Rd a year or two later.

I believed we would go all the way haha

Lovely goal by Dean Ashton too.

Fucking Kiki Musampa what a wanker for their second goal.

A lad at school robbed one of those MEN headline posters from the board outside a shop and put it on my desk for first class the morning after this game. My teacher with no interest in football took me to one side after class to tell me she admired my restraint.

I had my revenge when I posted the MEN through his door after the Aguero day (he was kind of a mate so its not as weird as me holding a 6/7 year grudge with a random lad from school)

FA CUP quarter final defeat vs Blackburn (then under Hughes) at Ewood park under Pearce.

City took about 10,000 and on about 85 mins the whole away end were chanting ‘we want physco out, we want physco out’.

I thought we had a chance to beat them but we were awful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.