"Gareth Barry is awful"

Re: Gareth Barry is awful

Has been superb for us and a bargain, gets stripped for pace the odd time but that's not his game / fault...
One of the first names on Mancini's team sheet every week. Says it all.

Wexford Blue said:
Has been superb for us and a bargain, gets stripped for pace the odd time but that's not his game / fault...

bang on the money.

Joehannes said:
It's wrong but I think a lot of people think Gareth Barry and see Oezil leaving him for dead at the World Cup. Unfair, but other fans just don't watch enough of City to understand how important he is, what he does is unlikely to make the MOTD highlights.
In stark contrast to Adam Johnson, whose goals will make the highlights but his arse scratching won't. So, every fucker and his dog are of the opinion that AJ is massively underused by Mancini.
I suppose every club will have these players though.
He barely made it to that World Cup and was clearly still carrying the ankle injury which kept him out of City's run-in.
Yet he was scapegoated, while fully-fit Shrek flopped at a major tournament — yet again — and slagged off the supporters who had paid fortunes to get there, but seemed to be immune from criticism

de niro said:
Wexford Blue said:

bang on the money.
This, he's such an important player from a tactical perspective,never lets his managers down.

FishFoot said:
TonyM said:
Vills fans know how important he is.
Barry was a class act for us for years.

I remember seeing him thrown in at centre back when he was 17 and looked like he'd been playing there his whole life.

O'Leary was literally minutes from flogging him to Pompey for £4m years ago then he got sacked. O'Neill came in, gave him the armband and stuck him in the middle. Best thing he ever did.

Barry was class for us. His sense of calmness on the ball and his positioning on the field is class.

We've not replaced him since he left.

Thanks for this post. Always good to hear a sensible view from someone who has watched a player for most of his career.

I'm wondering if Rodwell will be groomed to do the Barry role when he eventually retires

sambrookonthewing said:
FishFoot said:
TonyM said:
Vills fans know how important he is.
Barry was a class act for us for years.

I remember seeing him thrown in at centre back when he was 17 and looked like he'd been playing there his whole life.

O'Leary was literally minutes from flogging him to Pompey for £4m years ago then he got sacked. O'Neill came in, gave him the armband and stuck him in the middle. Best thing he ever did.

Barry was class for us. His sense of calmness on the ball and his positioning on the field is class.

We've not replaced him since he left.

Thanks for this post. Always good to hear a sensible view from someone who has watched a player for most of his career.

I'm wondering if Rodwell will be groomed to do the Barry role when he eventually retires

This. Barry is a class act, and I reckon Rodwell is his long term replacement.

LongsightM13 said:
Joehannes said:
It's wrong but I think a lot of people think Gareth Barry and see Oezil leaving him for dead at the World Cup. Unfair, but other fans just don't watch enough of City to understand how important he is, what he does is unlikely to make the MOTD highlights.
In stark contrast to Adam Johnson, whose goals will make the highlights but his arse scratching won't. So, every fucker and his dog are of the opinion that AJ is massively underused by Mancini.
I suppose every club will have these players though.
He barely made it to that World Cup and was clearly still carrying the ankle injury which kept him out of City's run-in.
Yet he was scapegoated, while fully-fit Shrek flopped at a major tournament — yet again — and slagged off the supporters who had paid fortunes to get there, but seemed to be immune from criticism
Yeah, he wasn't fit and yet it seems that England still take unfit players to tournaments, Parker another example this summer, along with Shrek for that matter.

Because too many people in this country get their football "insight" from things like The Sun, Talksport, crap journalists, and pundits like Alan Hansen and Lawrenson. Therefore they believe Barry is useless, while Scott Parker is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Couple of things. He is slow, but mostly on the turn. You can't really have made more tackles than anyone else in the team if you can't get to the ball.

If (as others have pointed out), David made you his player of the year - you must be doing something right.

Bobby said on a couple of ocassions that Barry was a very important part of the team and it's difficult to replace him.

de niro said:
Adam-mcfc said:
If I hear this again I might off myself. Why is it that only City fans give him the credit he deserves?

one of the first names on the sheet. fantastic player does an incredible job. the moaners are usually the armchair fans. a great shame the guy is 32, will be murder replacing him when the time comes.

Maybe that was the thinking behind Rodwell coming in.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.